Paul Merton on Allure OTS

Ray66

Thanks for the heads up on this...I agree it could be interesting but I guess they don't know much about the Allure...she is not an Ocean Liner.

Correct the QM2 is the only current Ocean Liner.

Been on Oasis and it was fantastic! ... sadly they did not show any of the Diving show in the Aqua theatre which is brilliant or any of the loft suites!

noticed a quick glimpse of the zip line on Labadee which is just over half a mile long and starts at 500 feet above sea level and is the longest zip line over the sea in the world .... now that was great fun. nice to see the school that RCI had built as well.

Made me laugh keep calling it a boat as well, what is funny that they keep calling Allure the Biggest cruise ship in the world ... 1/2 inch longer than Oasis and around 2,000 tons lighter so i guess it depends how you define the Biggest!

I wonder if it was a BBC press release that stated it as an 'ocean liner' or if it was the usual reporting standards of the Daily Mail:rolleyes:

I thought the program was, errrmm, ok. Not brilliant, and I don't think that type of ship is for me, but obviously it is for a lot of people, just as a Princess ship probably wouldn't be a great choice for people who like the glitz.

Just watched it tonight, and enjoyed most of it....didn't like the tigers, either, especially after reading about all the ones shot in Ohio, from a private collection.

I'd love to try one of the 2 great ships, but a week would probably be enough- then I could say I'd tried......I know they say they'll never come to Europe, but cruising has said that about a lot of things before....yes, I think we'd like to experience it once....

Jo.

I actually quite enjoyed the show. It wasn't the usual "you have got to go on this ship" type of show. It wasn't selling the ship..if you follow me.

My favourite bit of the show though has to be when Paul went to the school on Labadee. This is the school that the International Critters from here on CC collected 40 huge boxes of school supplies for last year and this year we are taking Musical Instruments to the school in December.

It was so great to see the children on the TV..I recognised some of them from my visit to the school last year. :D

Oh and the road to the school...is a lot rougher than was shown in the show :eek:

I wonder if it was a BBC press release that stated it as an 'ocean liner' or if it was the usual reporting standards of the Daily Mail:rolleyes:

Channel 5 (not the BBC) says "Paul boards a luxury ocean liner for a tour of the dazzling Caribbean."

http://www.channel5.com/shows/paul-mertons-adventures/episodes/on-a-cruise

I had recorded this the other day, and was able to settle down to watch it..

It's definitely not aimed at steering you towards going on the ship, but then that wasn't the point. What I liked about the show was when they went to Labadee and were able to go outside the tourist areas and see the local school, a side of RCI you don't get to see.

Merton was quite understandably overwhelmed by the size of the ship, and it didn't help that it was his first cruise.

All in all, it was a nice way to get a snapshot of what the ship was like and the itinary it undertakes. Although I wouldn't cruise on either Oasis or Allure on a regular basis, the wife and I do want to do a cruise on either of the ship (though preferably Allure as it does the Chicago musical!) just to experience the vastness of the ship.

There was one question I did have that I wonder if someone could answer. When they were doing a flyover shot of the ship, I saw what looked like solar panels on the roofing surrounding the funnels. Does anyone know about this, or did I miss this in the spec of the ship?

ScrozUK

They could have shown the restaurants, the Rising Tide bar, the fabulous water show....instead they focus on belly flop competitions and rows of overweight bodies.

A wasted marketing opportunity.

They didn't even explain the squirrel...:rolleyes:

It wasn't a marketing show, that was one of the things I actually liked about the programme.:)

Maybe by not explaining the squirrel it made people curious and talking about the show/ship ? :confused:

Merton was quite understandably overwhelmed by the size of the ship, and it didn't help that it was his first cruise.

I thought that was completely overdone, TBH, and I hated the whole caricature of the 'Englishman abroad' nonsense. Loved the look of the ship, though!

I thought that was completely overdone, TBH, and I hated the whole caricature of the 'Englishman abroad' nonsense. Loved the look of the ship, though!

Remember this series is a particular view of brits by a certain caricature of a certain age abroad, see this weeks Ibiza.

The best part of the allure program was the less than subtle insite into a lot of Americans.

Not sure why RCI approved the footage with the Scot.

But why Allure not a ig UK cruise destination? the big clue is this is supposed to be brits holidays so for cruise you pick a popular one, RCI and brits would have been Independance woops thats leaving UK.

Why not P&O or Thomson or Fred Olsen or one of the others that atract uk pax to cruises.

Archived