Florence excursion question

bizinsider

Hi all,

We'll be on the May 13 cruise and we have a question about Florence. We have not been there before (though we don't believe this will be our last time there). We tend to like to tour ourselves, but we realize we'll be in Florence for less than a full day.

For those who have been through Regent, a few questions:

Any idea what they tend to arrive in Florence from the port? And what they tend to leave for the return? (That's assuming the independent excursion.)

Do you think it's risky to get David tickets for mid-day booked in advance on our own? Or would it be smarter to go with the group excursion to the David and touring Florence?

We appreciate the information. We have reviewed all of the Florence postings on Cruise Critic/Regent, but haven't seen this addressed.

Thanks so much,

H & M

We didn't go on one of the tours to Florence on our recent cruise as it is 2 hrs each way from the port, and I have been there before. However, all the Florence tours left early--about 8 am I think. They didn't return till very late that evening. So if you made your own reservations for viewing David for mid day you should be fine.

All the tours leave by 7:30 or 8AM and don't return till 4 or 5PM so a mid-day ticket would be safe. The tours start and end at Santa Croce and if you decide to book the independent tour, make sure you do your homework ahead of time. Come armed with good, detailed maps. That part of Florence is a real maze of tiny winding alleyways and it is so easy to get lost. We took a guided tour (Regents "Highlights of Florence) when we were there this August, but we were left on our own for 4 hours at the end of the organized tour. We wandered around and got hopelessly lost and kept asking locals how to get back to Santa Croce Piazza. They would respond that it was "far away" and "too complicated" to give us directions. So, make sure you know where you're going before you head off.

These are great replies. Thanks so much. Has anybody done the tour that includes the David? If -- would you have rather done it yourself? There's always that fine line of a tour that adds value to one that adds TOO much value by more detail/information that you really want given the limited time.

We went to the museum on a Tauck Tour. It's quite a zoo with long lines to see David. It is a stunning piece of work however we arrived to be the first group into the museum. I do think I would only go with the Regent tour if you have not been there before. Florence is crowded and the streets are not easy to navigate if you haven't been there - it's very easy to get turned around.

"The Ultimate Florence" tour sounds like it might be what you want. You would get to see David as well as the Cathedral and the Santa Croce church. Unless you are really into art, though, you might not enjoy the Regent tour that goes to both the Accademia and the Uffizi.

Frankly, I wouldn't spend $129PP on the "Ultimate Florence" tour. I haven't done Florence with Regent but I have been there many times. My suggestion: Do "Florence on your own" for FREE and once you get closer to the date reserve a time to go in to the Accademia to see the David. You'll have then time to see the Cathedral and some of the other magnificent sights in the city(and a nice lunch on your own!)I suggest that you buy a good guide book, with a city map and map out your own schedule according to your interests.

I've been to Florence before and just wanted to add a couple of comments.

Traveling time is about 90 minutes each way.

In many places we too, enjoy touring on our own but there are some places that I believe that an organized tour with tour guide will make your visit much more rewarding. This includes Florence as in Rome The Vatican Museum.

In addition to the knowledge that the tour guides have, they can help you navigate the crowded areas and get you to the most interesting places and art to view given not only the crowds but also your limited time. If you had more than one day to visit this wouldn't be as critical.

I would do a full day tour there. If you go with a private tour just allow more time on your return for any unanticipated delays.

It will likely be one of the highlights of the cruise.

Keith

One thing not to miss in Florence is the Mercato Centrale - the central covered market. It is huge, with wonderful stands and some places where you can eat local dishes. It is very near the San Lorenzo church and right next to it is a really good leather market - lining the street - where you can buy wonderful bags, gloves, etc.

From Livorno to Florence, assuming no traffic jam as you leave the Firenze-Mare autostrada and join the Florence ring road, takes about 75mins. IF there is a jam (and there are lots of them!) could take 2hours or more. So don't book any special ticket for the David before 12noon. This will give you the time you need to get from wherever the bus drops you to the Accademia. Having a map is handy but in the Centro Storico all the museums and churches etc are well signposted.

Finally another "food" tip - pop into the Gelateria "Perchè No?" for an ice cream before leaving. It is very near the Piazza della Signoria. And has the most divine gelati!! It is very small. But they have lots and lots of gelati!

One thing not to miss in Florence is the Mercato Centrale - the central covered market. It is huge, with wonderful stands and some places where you can eat local dishes. It is very near the San Lorenzo church and right next to it is a really good leather market - lining the street - where you can buy wonderful bags, gloves, etc. ...

Finally another "food" tip - pop into the Gelateria "Perchè No?" for an ice cream before leaving. It is very near the Piazza della Signoria. And has the most divine gelati!! It is very small. But they have lots and lots of gelati!

I HIGHLY second the 'Perche No?' recommendation. A little hard to find at first...small shop-front nestled mid-block (Via dei Tavolini 19/r, Florence, Italy) ...but right in the main area between Duomo and Signora area. We (family with young kids) went there at least once/day (9 days in Florence in 2009)...also tried other 'best' geleterias in Florence/Pisa/Lucca/Venice, and IMO, none held a candle to 'Perche No?', although there was one in Lucca that was closer than the others (forgot the name just now).

What a great, yet small, city! As much to do there as any other great city, but all located within less than a square mile. Everything is walkable if you have your touring-legs on. With a little map-study before arriving, it is fairly easy to navigate. The confusing part for me was the area between Santa Croce and della Signora...lots of twisty small alleys/streets (small restaurant called 'Anita's' is around there...very good... and 'I Ghibellini' is great (and great prices), just north of Santa Croce).

But can I add...it's pretty ugly in the approach, compared to the historic city. We've found...small sampling of friends :) ...that people love, love, love Florence if they stay in the city, and don't think nearly as much of it when they commute in for a day. Sort of like Charleston here in the U.S...amazing charm and beauty if walking around...somewhat the opposite driving through, and not overly attractive upon approach of the city.

IMO, stroll, wander around...can't get too lost...some major/visable landmark/square is always just around a corner or two. I'm envious! Have a great time!

Florence is really easy to navigate. Get a map in advance and study the topography. Most of the stuff you will want to see will be on one side of the Arno ( unless you want to see Boboli gardens) You will find Santa Croce / the Duomo and Battisteri /and the Uffizi and the Ponte Vecchio three points of a triangle. If you want to visit the Pitti palace and Boboli just cross the Ponte Vecchio out of this triangle.

Once you orient yourself with the Duomo on the one side and the Arno on the other there is no reason to get lost. Santa Croce is the third point. Ask directions to the Church and not the Piazza and it should help.

Before you leave home just look at the parallel street within the triangle and one outside of it on two sides ( the third would be the river) and you should be fine.

Like Gerry I love the San Lorenzo market and visit to get my supplies of dried Porcini, fresh white truffles ( miraculously allowed in by Canada Customs), dried herbs, bottled truffled buter and all manner of delicacies so we can eat well for another year! It is where I will be shopping one week from tomorrow!!

Wanted to say that I'm also much appreciating all these detailed responses. We've got Livorno upcoming in August, and while we loved Lucca last time, I'm hoping that we can go back to Florence for the day this time. Stayed for several weeks in that marvelous city, but that was 3 decades ago. My husband may not be able to do a day as long as the Florence excursions, but I'm taking notes anyway!

Archived