Miami Hotel pre cruise

Jamara

My DH and I are on the Millie sailing 31st Oct and have just decided to have a weekend in Miami pre cruise - except never been to Miami unless it was to board a ship.

Can someone please advise where the best area is to stay, we would prefer to be near the port and also need car parking for the days we are at sea.

I have so much to do now and hope to book the hotel asap.

Many thanks.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

check there..that is the Florida departures board..i have asked that this be moved over there...LOTS of great info...and many locals who will have suggestions....

most places near the port will NOT offer parking while you are on the cruise, parking in Miami is at a premium and expensive...

you COULD try out in the Blue Lagoon area, near the airport...i believe that there is a Hampton Inn that might be a good choice...

Jamara ~ we just returned from the Millennium earlier this week. We stayed at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon near the airport. We drove over the night before. The hotel was great (just over $100). The rate included a full breakfast (more than the normal Hampton Inn's provide); a great pool and hot tub; Shuttle service to the port for $10 per person and complimentary parking for your car for the duration of your cruise in a very secure parking lot.

I considered hotels closer to the port but they were all considerably more expensive and parking at the port would have cost us far more than the shuttle service. We had to take a taxi back to the hotel after the cruise but it was only a ten minute taxi ride back. I would highly recommend the hotel for pre-cruise.

Megr ~ thanks for also posting the link to the FL boards. There is a great deal of wonderful information there as well. But there is no reason to move this thread. Often members want to hear from people on the ship they have sailed on. I wouldn't have visited the FL board to respond to this post about the great stay we just had pre-cruise. So members are welcome to ask these kinds of questions here as well as the FL board.

Have a wonderful cruise, Jamara!

Check out lastminutetravel.com and look for Intercontinental downtown Miami. It's a 5 star hotel that can often be had for just over $100/night (especially for the time of year you are interested in). It's the closest hotel to the Port of Miami (1/2 mile) and if you request a bayside room, you can see the ships in the a.m. Also within walking distance of many great restaurants, stores, etc.

Jo-Ann

Check out lastminutetravel.com and look for Intercontinental downtown Miami. It's a 5 star hotel that can often be had for just over $100/night (especially for the time of year you are interested in). It's the closest hotel to the Port of Miami (1/2 mile) and if you request a bayside room, you can see the ships in the a.m. Also within walking distance of many great restaurants, stores, etc.

Jo-Ann

I agree! We stayed at the Intercontinental and got it on last minute travel. It's the first 5 star hotel that pops up. I think we got it for $90 last December. It's close to the pier. You can look out your window and see the ship in the morning. Plus its a short walk on the boardwalk over to Bayside Marketplace for some great places to eat and a Walgreens and CVS. Be sure to ask for a bayside High floor room when you check in.

I agree! We stayed at the Intercontinental and got it on last minute travel. It's the first 5 star hotel that pops up. I think we got it for $90 last December. It's close to the pier. You can look out your window and see the ship in the morning. Plus its a short walk on the boardwalk over to Bayside Marketplace for some great places to eat and a Walgreens and CVS. Be sure to ask for a bayside High floor room when you check in.

Hi Kathy,

We are at IC pre-cruise. Any recommendations for dinner. We'd like seafood for sure!

WHATEVER you do don't stay at a Hilton. They have been spamming my telephone ever since I made the reservation.

Hilton Grand Vacations is the outfit that sells time shares. They are merciless. It's pretty obvious that Hilton treats their 'customers' different than a lot of companies. I'm no longer a customer.

I think I finally got them to STOP after TWO WEEKS of calls every day.

We switched to Marriott at Biscayne Bay. Seems pretty nice.

hth,

Jim

Hi folks - thanks for all the great replies. We are from Scotland but spend 6 months in Orlando each year. Never been to Miami and so this is a great time to see it.

Anne - your review was great, hope we have a nice group on our sailing, I like traditional celebrity style. We are Elite and have tried other lines but always go back to X.

CC friends you are the best!

Thanks

Jamara

Hi Kathy,

We are at IC pre-cruise. Any recommendations for dinner. We'd like seafood for sure!

Hi Sandi. We went to Bubba Gumps and it was awesome. It's over at Bayside Market Place.

http://www.bubbagump.com/assets/menus/miami.pdf

We also went to Little Havana by taxi, not too far away, at a place called Versailles. The prices were reasonable and good cuban food.

One night we went to Joe Stone Crab. It's about 11 minutes away from the hotel, but if you head over to South Beach to walk around, you can walk to the restaurant for dinner. The Stone Crabs are delicious!

Jo-Ann

Intercontinental is an excellent hotel in a good location. You can sometimes get it through Priceline for very good rates. However, there is no free parking available at Intercontinental either while you are a guest or while you are on a cruise and since that seems to be a significant feature required by the OP, it would not be a suitable option.

Here is a recent review from our stay from October 2-4, 2011 before embarking on Celebrity Millennium. Hope it is helpful. It is also posted on the Florida departures board of Cruise Critic.

My wife and I just returned from our Celebrity cruise a couple of days ago. We stayed in this hotel for 2 days pre-cruise. It is a luxury business style hotel located at 1109 Brickell Avenue. The hotel is located approximately 15 minutes from the cruiseport in Miami. It is a very nice property with very good public spaces, several restaurants, outdoor pool, exercise area, etc. If you are a Marriott loyalty program member you should consider this hotel. I do wish to tell you that the street in front of and to one side of the hotel is undergoing renovation work. It is difficult to access the front of the hotel because of the construction barricades and heavy equipment. It also produced noise during the day light hours. This noise did not interfere with our enjoyment of this hotel. The hotel is within a five to seven minute walk from a variety of excellant restaurants in the Village of Mary Brickell area and a Publix supermarket is in that same area for any last minute cruise needs. I would also recommend the La Provencal bakery which is directly across from the front door of the hotel for very fine French pastries and baked goods and a delicious lunch or light dinner.

Hi, I am staying at the IC 3 weeks from today:D and it will be my

3rd time staying at this hotel....great spot:)

This trip I used LMT as well...with taxes and fees the room came to

As for dinner, click on this link......it is one of my favorite restaurants

and I definitely recommend it...it is called Perricone's. About a 10.00

cab ride from the hotel.

www.perricones.com

I wouldn't pay 36.00 a day to park either:eek: so you are not cheap:D

I sail 3 weeks from today:).

I am trying a new restaurant for dinner pre-cruise with 2 friends who

live in South Florida. It is called the Miami Chop House and one of the

partners is JVS......will see how the food is;)

Hey Lois,

How are you? Be sure to let me know how you like the Chop House. I'm still undecided about dinner plans for Dec. 9. Really need some seafood!!!

Hi Sandi, I am doing ok, thank you for asking:) I emailed you back....

did you get it?

Archived