What can men wear to breakfast?

MDR watches dress attire (sometimes). My brother was not allowed in for breakfast, because he was wearing shorts and a tank top. He was told "no tank tops allowed". I saw men in the MDR wearing shorts to dinner on the same sailing. I guess it just depends on who's greeting guests at the entrance.

My guess is your dad will be allowed in the MDR, because his swim trunks will look like shorts. He'll be sitting on a scooter and his trunks will be less noticable. Just make sure he has a t-shirt, not a tank top.

If you don't want to chance it, go to the Windjammer. He won't be turned away from there and you'll be close to the pool area.

I think this is just one of those issues in which it depends on who is "in charge" in the MDR. There are plenty of times when I see people who come in looking like they just washed up onshore, yet when I went to lunch one time in a sleeveless blouse, I was denied entry. They wouldn't let me in even when I pointed out the other "sleeveless" women they had let in. I wound up going to the Windjammer that day.

Can you elaborate? Are you saying a female was denied MDR entry in a sleeveless top?

Thanks

Is it appropriate for men to wear dry swim trunks (knee length) and a shirt with short sleeves to breakfast? Does the venue matter?

Park Cafe?

Windjammer?

MDR?

Johnny Rockets?

We were denied entry, also, with a man in tank top. It was okay at the Windjammer. Mamie111

Can you elaborate? Are you saying a female was denied MDR entry in a sleeveless top?

Thanks

That is exactly what I am saying. It was lunchtime and the rest of my family/group had already been seated when I was told that I couldn't be seated. I tried pointing out that there were plenty of people who had been allowed in with tank tops on previous days and that there were a few people that I could see from the front area that were wearing tank tops, but it did no good because the person denying me didn't want to listen. I asked why I was being singled out,, but he wouldn't answer me. I asked if since I was being denied, would the other people who were already there wearing the tank tops going to be asked to leave as well, he wouldn't answer me. It felt like one of those "well other people may have let them in, but I'm not going to let you in" type of things. He didn't seem to want to be bothered with fairness. Aggravated and embarrassed, I went to the Windjammer.

Let me say this, I was not wearing one of those T-shirty tank tops, or the kind of top you would throw over a swimsuit. I was wearing a tasteful, decorative sleeveless top. I just think I encountered someone who wanted to play God for the day.

That is exactly what I am saying. It was lunchtime and the rest of my family/group had already been seated when I was told that I couldn't be seated. I tried pointing out that there were plenty of people who had been allowed in with tank tops on previous days and that there were a few people that I could see from the front area that were wearing tank tops, but it did no good because the person denying me didn't want to listen. I asked why I was being singled out,, but he wouldn't answer me. I asked if since I was being denied, would the other people who were already there wearing the tank tops going to be asked to leave as well, he wouldn't answer me. It felt like one of those "well other people may have let them in, but I'm not going to let you in" type of things. He didn't seem to want to be bothered with fairness. Aggravated and embarrassed, I went to the Windjammer.

Let me say this, I was not wearing one of those T-shirty tank tops, or the kind of top you would throw over a swimsuit. I was wearing a tasteful, decorative sleeveless top. I just think I encountered someone who wanted to play God for the day.

Wow, it was my impression that women were allowed to wear sleeveless tops to the MDR! Not wife-beater type ones, but nice, appropriate ones. Women wear sleveless dresses there all the time, and I'm fairly certain I wore nice sleeveless tops with dressy capris a couple nights at dinner on Oasis last year.

You never know who they are going to let in and who they aren't, unfortunately. We went to the MDR for lunch on the Mariner and a woman in a bathing suit and sarong was seated at our table. She gave everyone an eye full everytime she reached for something across the table.:eek:

My son was once denied seating for breakfast in the MDR for wearing a tank top. Was annoyed since he saw a lot of women with spaghetti strap shirts on. He went back to the room, put on a tee shirt and it was fine.

My son was once denied seating for breakfast in the MDR for wearing a tank top. Was annoyed since he saw a lot of women with spaghetti strap shirts on. He went back to the room, put on a tee shirt and it was fine.

I was hoping that the punchline was that your son went back to the room and put on a spaghetti strap shirt! :D

Maybe if he shaved under his arms they would let him in.

[quote name='negrilbride']Is it appropriate for men to wear dry swim trunks (knee length) and a shirt with short sleeves to breakfast? Does the venue matter?

Park Cafe?
Windjammer?
MDR?
Johnny Rockets?[/quote]

The right answer: He will be fine (especially if his swim trunks are a solid color). No one will know the difference and he will not be denied entrance unless his shirt has no sleeves or he refused to remove his cap for lunch in the MDR. Just go have a fun cruise and enjoy!

[quote name='negrilbride']Thanks for all the help so far! My father has difficulties with mobility, and uses a scooter, and we were just trying to plan out the easiest way to get him up and moving in the morning with the least amount of wardrobe changes and trips up and down the elevator. His swim trunks are so long that he can't wear shorts over them, and he's pretty wobbly, so the idea of him changing in a bathroom on the pool deck doesn't seem wise.

My hope was that at least at the casual venues, he'd be ok in his swimtrunks so he could go straight from there to the pool deck... sounds like the jury is still out. We'll definitely make sure he's in non-swim shorts if we go to the MDR.[/QUOTE]

Oh for Pete's sake. Some common sense is called for here. Of course your elderly father who uses a scooter can eat breakfast in the MDR while wearing longish swim trunks. It's not even the slighest bit debatable by anyone with an ounce of common sense.

[quote name='negrilbride']Is it appropriate for men to wear dry swim trunks (knee length) and a shirt with short sleeves to breakfast? Does the venue matter?

Park Cafe?
Windjammer?
MDR?
Johnny Rockets?[/quote]

My board shorts look like cargo shorts anyway, so I would wear them in any of those places for breakfast.Dry of course.

Archived