Expectation for flights from USA to Europe in 2012?

Shooraq

Just as an update, I saw thru my price watch using Kayak that prices went down on some airlines to Rome today. Took the plunge and got the timing I wanted for only $852pp thru US Airways with 1 stopover in Philly. I can now relax... :D

I am just curious who you actually booked this with. It seems like Kayak is getting more and more "discount"/consolidator type places selling tickets on the Kayak website. I even saw tickets from various points in the USA to NYC (limited fare sale) advertised on Kayak from CheapoAir.

Just curious.

You can book this price right on US's webpage.

6rugrats is right. I only use Kayak and Expedia to track airlines and price drops. Then I book directly on the airline's website. So in this case, I booked directly with US Airways.

Bravo, Shooraq! You got a great airfare.

UCFKnight we went BOS<-->LHR late June 2011. We booked the airfare in March 2011.

I had been tracking the fares since January and finally caught one we could afford.

Good luck. All of the news says airlines are continuing to cut back on flights and seats.

Thanks for the info... just got an email tonight saying jetblue will publish their schedules on Sunday, so if the rates are decent, I think we'll book through them and not look back. They partner with Aer Lingus, so I've been waiting for them to open their schedule so we can have our flight to JFK or BOS on one ticket with the TA flight. I'm afraid with the cut backs on flights and seats you noted rates will just go up.

I booked my flights too:)....roundtrip from Jax-FCO on USAIR total

with taxes 904.20. I fly from here to Charlotte and then direct to

Rome. Coming back it is Rome to Philly and then home. I booked

directly with USAIR too. It was 810.00 with 94.20 taxes.

Robyn's flights are about 55.00 less but I think that is probably

because she is flying out of Boston.

But I am good with what I paid and at least now it is one less thing

to worry about;)

Now on to research hotels/b&b's for one night precruise...there

are so many...it is a bit overwhelming:eek:

Waiting and watching is a waste of time and will probably cause you to miss some good fares. If you are concerned that you will not get the perfect flight or the absolute lowest fare then you should stop thinking in that manner.

IMHO $800-900 is a good fare. If you can afford it, if it is in your 'zone', if you are happy with the carrier/flights, and if the times are reasonable, then BOOK it.

It would be very different if you could only see $1300-1600. fares-then it may be worth waiting.

We booked a fare to Istanbul a few months ago. The next day we went back to look at other flight schedule options. The fare had changed from $1150 to $1640. You just never know but we went with a price that we were comfortable with.

Waiting and watching is a waste of time and will probably cause you to miss some good fares. If you are concerned that you will not get the perfect flight or the absolute lowest fare then you should stop thinking in that manner.

IMHO $800-900 is a good fare. If you can afford it, if it is in your 'zone', if you are happy with the carrier/flights, and if the times are reasonable, then BOOK it.

It would be very different if you could only see $1300-1600. fares-then it may be worth waiting.

We booked a fare to Istanbul a few months ago. The next day we went back to look at other flight schedule options. The fare had changed from $1150 to $1640. You just never know but we went with a price that we were comfortable with.

I don't think people are necessarily trying for the lowest possible flight. I think many people don't know what a reasonable flight costs and with not enough information, are trying to guess what works. You could think that $900 is good, but then a month later, find prices to drop to $700. My flight to Switzerland dropped over $100 since I booked it. Kinda bummed, but still happy with what I got. That's the reason we come to forums like this, to gauge opinions about what does make sense so we aren't booking too soon or at too high a price.

I don't think people are necessarily trying for the lowest possible flight. I think many people don't know what a reasonable flight costs and with not enough information, are trying to guess what works.... That's the reason we come to forums like this, to gauge opinions about what does make sense so we aren't booking too soon or at too high a price.

You have a good point and sometimes I forget this. But, I know there were initial posts that said anything under $1000 to Europe is a good price and you should pull the trigger. I totally agree with this rule of thumb for flights to Europe. Can someone save another $100 or so??? That's getting in the relm of speculation and a lot of posts...

In addition to this part of your post below:

You could think that $900 is good, but then a month later, find prices to drop to $700. My flight to Switzerland dropped over $100 since I booked it. Kinda bummed....

I'm a firm believer that I will never look back once I buy a ticket. Way too much worthless time spent "should I have waited" or "maybe this and that". You can do this if you want, but what to you gain?

Your flight could have just as easily gone up a few hundred dollars. Instead of being 'bummed' out you would be feeling like a hero.

You have to understand the price range, be willing to jump on a good fare/good airline/good routing and then move forward in the knowledge that that particular fare could go increase or decrease multiple times prior to departure.

Your flight could have just as easily gone up a few hundred dollars. Instead of being 'bummed' out you would be feeling like a hero.

You have to understand the price range, be willing to jump on a good fare/good airline/good routing and then move forward in the knowledge that that particular fare could go increase or decrease multiple times prior to departure.

I totally agree with you, and that's why I had originally posted this, to find out with the range was. I'm fine with my Switzerland fare, I'm budget conscious so I'm always striving to save as much as possible, but what I got for that was good, no complaints.

Trying to figure out Rome was a little harder for me. I know American fare ranges quite well, but only recently have I started looking into European fares. I didn't find it easy right away to find what is a good range to work with. This forum helped immensely and I am grateful for that! :D

You have a good point and sometimes I forget this. But, I know there were initial posts that said anything under $1000 to Europe is a good price and you should pull the trigger. I totally agree with this rule of thumb for flights to Europe. Can someone save another $100 or so??? That's getting in the relm of speculation and a lot of posts...

In addition to this part of your post below:

I'm a firm believer that I will never look back once I buy a ticket. Way too much worthless time spent "should I have waited" or "maybe this and that". You can do this if you want, but what to you gain?

I totally understand. Again, I was trying to find what the ideal range was and some people provided spectualation and and others were able to be more specfic based on what the criteria was. Thankfully I have learned enough about this so that I should not have to use this fouum again anytime soon.

As far as the never look back, I do this so I can see what the end result was. I plan to visit europe more often, and by looking back on whether my decision to book was a good one, can help judge how to proceed with the next time. My friend moved to Switzerland so I plan to visit her every couple of years. I plan to do more travelling to Europe so getting an understanding of trends helps me plan better for the next time! :D

Again, I appreciate everyone's help with this post and it has helped me to book smartly and affordably. Thanks again!

The advantage to booking thru Choice Air is the assistance you'd get in the event of delays or cancellations. And, if you buy insurance thru Celebrity, the air would be covered should you have to cancel. $800 + is a lot of money to lose if you have to cancel. I'm just saying...

The advantage to booking thru Choice Air is the assistance you'd get in the event of delays or cancellations. And, if you buy insurance thru Celebrity, the air would be covered should you have to cancel. $800 + is a lot of money to lose if you have to cancel. I'm just saying...
I would take these statements with a large helping of salt. Especially regarding any blanket statements about any kind of travel insurance -- they are very dependent on specific policy provisions.

I would take these statements with a large helping of salt. Especially regarding any blanket statements about any kind of travel insurance -- they are very dependent on specific policy provisions.

Yes, the policy specifics would have to be met, but I've personally used the insurance and known several others who have as well and been refunded the cost of cruise AND air using Choice Air. My point really is that the cost of airfare to Europe is a lot of money to potentially lose and I'd make sure I had travel insurance so I wouldn't lose it.

My friend moved to Switzerland so I plan to visit her every couple of years. I plan to do more travelling to Europe so getting an understanding of trends helps me plan better for the next time! :D

This is where I live and work now. Please keep in mind getting a flight to ZRH from the US might not be the best price. Look at getting a flight to LHR, FRA, etc. and then connect to Switzerland from there. Again, anything under $1K is good ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We booked JFK to Rome with plane change in Dublin (Aer Lingus) for $801.29 (taxes & fees included). Even if fares go down, I can live with this. We were looking at prices topping $1600 from ATL to Rome. We've decided to go to NY for a couple of days, staying with friends. Even adding a RT to NY saves a few hundred. Travel is an "adventure" after all.

Archived