Expectation for flights from USA to Europe in 2012?

Shooraq

I am having the hardest time trying to predict what is considered good airfare from the east coast to Rome, having never flown there before. I'm not sure if flights to Europe are expected to increase as it gets closer to May 2012. I see a great deal for $860pp with only 1 stop, but don't want to jump if it seems likely that prices will continue to go down.

Anyone have advice on how to go about this? What do people here shoot for as far as great prices to fly from East coast, USA to someplace like Rome?

I'm not sure if flights to Europe are expected to increase as it gets closer to May 2012. I see a great deal for $860pp with only 1 stop, but don't want to jump if it seems likely that prices will continue to go down.
It's really hard to know without dates, and without knowing what airline you're seeing that on.

For example, a fare that's marginally good value for outbound travel on 10 May 2012 could be a stonking bargain for outbound travel on 20 May 2012.

You already have this thread going, which is asking the same question:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1478818

I know and I apologize for that... but understand that I was just trying to ask a more general question because people might not know specifically Boston to Rome, but may give a more general idea of costs to Europe. I hoped more people would respond with help this way because I am new to figuring out trends in European flights. Don't worry, I won't ask again after this, sorry for trying to figure this out. :confused:

It's really hard to know without dates, and without knowing what airline you're seeing that on.

For example, a fare that's marginally good value for outbound travel on 10 May 2012 could be a stonking bargain for outbound travel on 20 May 2012.

It's May 8-May 21, and I'm geting that price using Celebrity's Choice Air website to fly on Swiss Air.

For me the $860 seems quite reasonable. The question is where do you connect and what is the layover time?

You definitely want 90 minutes or more between flights. How much is a direct flight worth to you? Departing from BOS gives you that option I would think, but otoh we have to connect whenever we fly to Europe and thus far we've made every one- including a notoriously late/frequently cancelled CLE-JFK Delta flight connecting to DUB. Believe you me, I had scoped out other Delta options such as CLE-ATL-DUB in case the worst possibility occurred.

Barb

I see a great deal for $860pp with only 1 stop, but don't want to jump if it seems likely that prices will continue to go down
I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

While it's always possible prices will go down, it's absolutely not "likely."

I am no expert and I am trying to figure this same thing out myself. We are flying out June 1 and we need from New Orleans into Venice and out of Copenhagen back to New Orleans. I am not seeing anything under $1600! I have been tracking it on many sites for about a month now.

I am having the hardest time trying to predict what is considered good airfare from the east coast to Rome, having never flown there before. I'm not sure if flights to Europe are expected to increase as it gets closer to May 2012. I see a great deal for $860pp with only 1 stop, but don't want to jump if it seems likely that prices will continue to go down.

Anyone have advice on how to go about this? What do people here shoot for as far as great prices to fly from East coast, USA to someplace like Rome?

What are the specifics?

Airlines, and flight times and airports would be helpful.

My guess is that the risk of the fares going up is great than this one coming down but specifics are always helpful.

Keith

So does this involve booking this through the cruise line?

What are the airports and the layover time? Do you change planes?

Keith

This involves booking through Celebrity's Choice Air, which I don't have a problem with doing online. Thru Swiss Air, there is a 1.5 hr stopover at the Zurich airport. Planes do change.

Nuts - the availability of that Swiss Air flight went away this morning! Crap - oh well, so much for that idea... Should have known that would happen, always my luck. I guess I'll keep tracking now. There are options for American Airlines and British Airways for approx $950 and up, but I loved seeing a flight for under $900.

OP - if you were willing to fly JFK-FCO-JFK, you can get roundtrips booking directly with the airline for your dates on Air Berlin for $814, or on Aer Lingus for $841.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into that! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am going on the same cruise as the Original Poster (Hi Robyn:))

Boy on boy.....for anyone who wants to help....Flying from Jacksonville

to Rome...looking to leave here on May 9th....(ship sails May 11)

returning home on May 21st......Airfare looks like it is in the 1200.00

range:(....I hope the airfare doesn't prevent me from cruising:eek:

Actually I could leave here on May 8th if it is late flight...I am taking

the 9th off from work.

Any fare under $1K is good. This past June we were looking at tickets in the $1600 (each) range to go Boston to London. Almost cancelled the cruise. Price then dropped to slightly under $1K and we snapped them up.

Leaving from JFK sounds OK but you need to factor in the expense to get there from BOS and the lay-over time. Also coming home you fly DIRECTLY over Logan with then another hour to JFK and then the time and cost to get home.

You've got a while before you have to book. Track the fares for a few weeks. Check rates everyday but especially Tuesday when prices usually change, and if you see a fare you can live with book it.

I am going on the same cruise as the Original Poster (Hi Robyn:))

Boy on boy.....for anyone who wants to help....Flying from Jacksonville

to Rome...looking to leave here on May 9th....(ship sails May 11)

returning home on May 21st......Airfare looks like it is in the 1200.00

range:(....I hope the airfare doesn't prevent me from cruising:eek:

Actually I could leave here on May 8th if it is late flight...I am taking

the 9th off from work.

It is no fun looking for airfare.. I'm hoping that once the new year hits, prices might drop. (A girl can dream!)

Any fare under $1K is good. This past June we were looking at tickets in the $1600 (each) range to go Boston to London. Almost cancelled the cruise. Price then dropped to slightly under $1K and we snapped them up.

Leaving from JFK sounds OK but you need to factor in the expense to get there from BOS and the lay-over time. Also coming home you fly DIRECTLY over Logan with then another hour to JFK and then the time and cost to get home.

You've got a while before you have to book. Track the fares for a few weeks. Check rates everyday but especially Tuesday when prices usually change, and if you see a fare you can live with book it.

Yea, I did a lot of research and I'd rather pay the "price" and fly right out of Boston (under 30 min from my house). I will just track over the next few months, but thank you all for your input. I at least know that booking under $1000 is the right way to go at this point.

]

Do you mind if I ask when you booked for this trip? We're keeping an eye for June 2012, and while I know it's not a definite indicator of if/when prices may drop a bit, it's nice to at least be aware of historical trends!

Do you mind if I ask when you booked for this trip? We're keeping an eye for June 2012, and while I know it's not a definite indicator of if/when prices may drop a bit, it's nice to at least be aware of historical trends!

When you book the tickets is not as significant as when you are traveling. Summer TRAVEL is more expensive than other times to Europe. It's not like "June tickets go on sale in February".....more like "June tickets will always be more than October tickets".

When you book the tickets is not as significant as when you are traveling. Summer TRAVEL is more expensive than other times to Europe. It's not like "June tickets go on sale in February".....more like "June tickets will always be more than October tickets".

Understood. Unfortunately for us, my wife's a teacher, and summer is the only option... The best I've found so far is $1275 JAX-BCN, arriving a day early and returning the day we disembark. I don't think it's going to get much better, but I'm holding out for a bit just in case. I'm also waiting for JetBlue to release their schedules for summer. I've heard their alliance with AerLingus can be economical with a connection in NYC. So I'm hoping that they release their schedule sooner than later!

Understood. Unfortunately for us, my wife's a teacher, and summer is the only option... The best I've found so far is $1275 JAX-BCN, arriving a day early and returning the day we disembark. I don't think it's going to get much better, but I'm holding out for a bit just in case. I'm also waiting for JetBlue to release their schedules for summer. I've heard their alliance with AerLingus can be economical with a connection in NYC. So I'm hoping that they release their schedule sooner than later!

Hi,:) you are looking to fly out of Jacksonville too? Me too.......

Hi,:) you are looking to fly out of Jacksonville too? Me too.......

We are in Gainesville, so JAX, MCO, or TPA are all about the same distance from here. I'd love to fly out of GNV, but I'll travel to save a few hundred bucks! That's a couple excursions!

Just as an update, I saw thru my price watch using Kayak that prices went down on some airlines to Rome today. Took the plunge and got the timing I wanted for only $852pp thru US Airways with 1 stopover in Philly. I can now relax... :D

Archived