Blu vs MDR

Michigan honey

I haven't eaten at Blu, so I can't answer regarding food quality. I will post links to some sample menus I found on CC though.

Personally, when I reviewed the menus, I realized that Blu does not necessarily have cuisine that I drool over. But I know many people love it.

Here are the Blue menus I found: http://luvtotravel.homestead.com/Blu_Menus.pdf

Here are the MDR menus: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1247134&highlight=menus

These might be slightly out of date, but you'll get the idea at least.

Based just on the quality of the food, is it worth the extra money to dine in Blu? Is the menu/selection that much better. We are traveling on the "S" class ships and considering an Aqua class stateroom. Any information would help. Thanks.

I enjoyed Blu and Aqua class very much but would not do it if the price was a big difference. Both my AQ cruises, I got great upgrades..I found the food and service in Blu to be the equivalent of Celebrity cruises back in the early 90s when they were known for their food. Feel the same about the specialty restaurants..

A menu might be helpful in giving you a sense of what they describe, but you can't taste a menu description. I've actually dined in Blu multiple times and the main difference to me is in the preparation. Meals in the MDR are prepared in a production line. Each dinner in Blu is prepared individually when ordered and the Chef inspects each dish prior to serving it to the guest. I've always had excellent service in the MDR, but the service I've experienced in Blu is a notch above. The staff are encouraged to work as a team. If a waiter is particularily busy someone else is there to help. I've seen the Maitre 'd helping to clear tables. You can ask to see the menu for the next day in advance and can custom order if you find nothing you desire. They do everything possible to meet your needs. There are hundreds of threads on Blu and even a cursory reading will keep you occupied for many, many hours.

A menu might be helpful in giving you a sense of what they describe, but you can't taste a menu description. I've actually dined in Blu multiple times and the main difference to me is in the preparation. Meals in the MDR are prepared in a production line. Each dinner in Blu is prepared individually when ordered and the Chef inspects each dish prior to serving it to the guest. I've always had excellent service in the MDR, but the service I've experienced in Blu is a notch above. The staff are encouraged to work as a team. If a waiter is particularily busy someone else is there to help. I've seen the Maitre 'd helping to clear tables. You can ask to see the menu for the next day in advance and can custom order if you find nothing you desire. They do everything possible to meet your needs. There are hundreds of threads on Blu and even a cursory reading will keep you occupied for many, many hours.

You stated exactly all the reasons we prefer Blu...it's just a notch up from the MDR!! or two... or threee...:D

We have not eaten in BLU, plan to next cruise. Next cruise on Eciplse in March. We have eaten in the MDR.

Last cruise on Celebrity 2009 on the Equniox, we were not impressed with the MDR. It was noisy, crowded and food and service were mixed/uneven. We always special order in the MDR.

We have decided to try BLU next cruise.

We just got off a cruise on the Cunard Queen Victoria. Found the MDR there very noisy too. We eat in the special diningroom 2 nights, atmoshphere wonderfully peaceful. We special ordered on the QV too.

For us, the peace and quiet one may get in BLU is well worth it. We like to have a table for 2. Tables for 2 are no problem in BLU. We are going to special order no matter where we are; MDR or BLU. So the atmoshpere is what we are most interested in, hopefully BLU will deliver atmoshphere and food and service. Also like we can eat when ever we wish. Lots of freedom here.

Our cruise is not til March, will post after that experience.

I was in Aqua class on Solstice last year and was so unimpressed with Blu that I only went the first three nights, then made alternate arrangements the remainder of the cruise. I seem to be in the minority however, a lot more people love it than don't. Maybe I was just there on a bad week???? Definitely won't pay the extra money again. In fact I'm on Eclipse in December and booked CC instead of Blu because I wanted to eat in the MDR.

I never made it to a Blu breakfast however......I ALWAYS have a full breakfast and two pots of coffee on my balcony.....the favorite part of every cruise.

I've seen those Blu menus before and they are what convinced me to book our next cruise in AQ on Silhouette.

However, I keep hearing about the Blu breakfasts, and I have no idea why...what is so special about breakfast? Does it change every day or is it the same?

I was in Aqua class on Solstice last year and was so unimpressed with Blu that I only went the first three nights, then made alternate arrangements the remainder of the cruise. I seem to be in the minority however, a lot more people love it than don't. Maybe I was just there on a bad week???? Definitely won't pay the extra money again. In fact I'm on Eclipse in December and booked CC instead of Blu because I wanted to eat in the MDR.

I never made it to a Blu breakfast however......I ALWAYS have a full breakfast and two pots of coffee on my balcony.....the favorite part of every cruise.

Zoey...I have to agree with you. I loved the service in Blu but thought the food in the MDR tasted better. I did find out that I could order off the MDR menu in BLU & did that more than once.

You should have tried breakfast in BLU...it was my best breakfast ever!:eek:

We have not eaten in BLU, plan to next cruise. Next cruise on Eciplse in March. We have eaten in the MDR.

Last cruise on Celebrity 2009 on the Equniox, we were not impressed with the MDR. It was noisy, crowded and food and service were mixed/uneven. We always special order in the MDR.

We have decided to try BLU next cruise.

We just got off a cruise on the Cunard Queen Victoria. Found the MDR there very noisy too. We eat in the special diningroom 2 nights, atmoshphere wonderfully peaceful. We special ordered on the QV too.

For us, the peace and quiet one may get in BLU is well worth it. We like to have a table for 2. Tables for 2 are no problem in BLU. We are going to special order no matter where we are; MDR or BLU. So the atmoshpere is what we are most interested in, hopefully BLU will deliver atmoshphere and food and service. Also like we can eat when ever we wish. Lots of freedom here.

Our cruise is not til March, will post after that experience.

You mentioned several times that you "special order". May I ask what type of things do you special order?

I've seen those Blu menus before and they are what convinced me to book our next cruise in AQ on Silhouette.

However, I keep hearing about the Blu breakfasts, and I have no idea why...what is so special about breakfast? Does it change every day or is it the same?

The breaksfast menu is the same everyday.

If I remember correctly the menu has smoothies, yogurt parfaits, pancakes, eggs, and other normal breakfast items.

They make Muesli tableside with your choice of mix-ins.

My wife and I eat food on the lighter side for the most part and I always create meals away from heavy sauces and milk products. Saturday night I prepared mahi-mahi with an onion tomato herb relish baked in a cedar wrap. The portions in Blu are very nicely sized and they accomodate just about any special request.

You mentioned several times that you "special order". May I ask what type of things do you special order?

The breaksfast menu is the same everyday.

If I remember correctly the menu has smoothies, yogurt parfaits, pancakes, eggs, and other normal breakfast items.

They make Muesli tableside with your choice of mix-ins.

We find out what fish is available on board. We prefer fish grilled or pan fried and steam vegetables without sauces. Some times we order a veal chop or a fillet. We eat very simply, no butter, no cheese.

We find out what fish is available on board. We prefer fish grilled or pan fried and steam vegetables without sauces. Some times we order a veal chop or a fillet. We eat very simply, no butter, no cheese.

I too enjoy fish and IME, they prepare it well in Blu.

The first night is usually when they serve the Filet Mignon in Blu, and they can do a proper medium rare, which I appreciate. The quality of the meat is very good...it was as good as my filet in the Tuscan Grille. There is a sauce served with the filet (of course you can decline the sauce) that is excellent...it is a reduction sauce, and wonderfully flavourful.

My favourite breakfast in Blu is the Asparagus Frittata.

Based just on the quality of the food, is it worth the extra money to dine in Blu? Is the menu/selection that much better. We are traveling on the "S" class ships and considering an Aqua class stateroom. Any information would help. Thanks.

"Quality" is in the eye of the beholder. When on S class we always book Aqua Class only because of Blu. First of all, it is like dining in a small restaurant rather than a large dining hall. Secondly, the food and service, in my experience has been exponentially better. Blu has its own kitchen and chef so the food isn't produced on a production line and it doesn't sit on a warming table for extended periods....third, the menu's tend to be healthier.

Have traveled on 3 of the ships on Aqua class just so I could eat in Blu.

They go out of their way to accomodate you in any way possible.

We do not like heavy food including deserts and my husband is lactose intolerent so we have asked for a cookie with our tea. No problem min. later cookies.

Food is top quality with that lite touch. Never have had a bad meal and for me it is easier to sit alone with my hubby as they place me away from others because of my asthma (stinky perfume and cologne not pretty when it hit my lungs).

So...in MDR you can request fresh fish grilled with no sauce? Is it just fish or is seafood available, like shrimp or scallops? I've always had so many changes to the choices, it would be easier to order grilled fish. This is awesome!!

I posted a longer response on another thread just now (so many on this topic at the moment). In a word, in my opinion the answer to your question is "no." I wouldn't pay more to dine in Blu. There are many who would disagree with me, however.:)

Archived