October too late for cruising New England/Canada?

grayjay

We live in Europe and I have not been to New England yet - I apologize in advance for a seemingly stupid question!

We are about to book a cruise on the "Brilliance" out of Quebec in October 2012. Weather questions are always chancy, I know that, and I can live with cool weather, some rain and fog and higher seas. But is it too late in the year to have at least some fine weather plus the fall colours which must be absolutely fabulous.

Help and advice needed. Thank you for your answers.

I agree. The first part of October can be very nice. We had some great weather here this year. But the second half of the month turned very cold and I really would not have wanted to be on a cruise ship then. I just don't think it would have been fun.

We live in Europe and I have not been to New England yet - I apologize in advance for a seemingly stupid question!

We are about to book a cruise on the "Brilliance" out of Quebec in October 2012. Weather questions are always chancy, I know that, and I can live with cool weather, some rain and fog and higher seas. But is it too late in the year to have at least some fine weather plus the fall colours which must be absolutely fabulous.

Hi grayjay, we just got off the Explorer of the Seas. Our cruise departed New Jersey on Oct 13th and it was a wonderful cruise! The fall colors were there and it was nice autumn weather. This was the last cruise of the season for this ship. Hope this helps!

Hi grayjay, we just got off the Explorer of the Seas. Our cruise departed New Jersey on Oct 13th and it was a wonderful cruise! The fall colors were there and it was nice autumn weather. This was the last cruise of the season for this ship. Hope this helps!

Wasn't that Columbus Day weekend? That was some of the most beautiful weather that we have had in a long time. You picked a great week to have been on a cruise.

Unfortunately, weather in new England and Canada is totally unpredictable. Our very first cruise was to St. John and Halifax in early August. Very few on the ship were prepared for what we encountered. Those who sold jackets and fleeces in Canada made out like bandits.

Having said that, the answer to your question is that it is a total crapshoot. You can have wonderful weather or miserable weather. Anyone who tells you something else is simply misinformed.

Cruise starts on Oct.12th. The one before that is also available, but more expensive. We wanted to stay in Eastern Canada , starting in Montreal for about a fortnight before that and then relax on the cruise :)!

I was looking at those cruises too, I love the intinerary, so different from the NE/Canada cruises that originate in the US.

If you are looking for foliage, I would go with the earlier one since the leaves usually turn earlier up north. There is really no way of knowing when the peak will be.

Cruise starts on Oct.12th. The one before that is also available, but more expensive. We wanted to stay in Eastern Canada , starting in Montreal for about a fortnight before that and then relax on the cruise :)!

The one before is probably more expensive because RCI (and the people buying cabins) are betting that it will have the better foliage and weather. But as others have said, there's really no way to predict when fall will happen. We embarked from Boston on the Jewel on October 8 and there was little if any foliage showing. The weather was spectacular - warms days and cool nights. We ran into rain on the final day, but by the time we returned to Boston it was hot and sunny again.

Look at it this way: The ports will be charming and interesting and the ship will be terrific. The weather and trees will be gravy. :)

Returned from a cruise from Quebec to Miami last week the first three stops in Canada were cold but not freezing into the USA again chilly New York was fine then on to Charleston nice and warm and Miami hot :D

The sea conditions were only rough on one night as we sailed to Boston there was the tail end of a hurricane moving up the east coast. remember the weather in the Caribbean at that time of the year makes it's way up the east coast before heading across the pond :cool:

We've done 5 NE Canada cruises from Bayonne NJ for the past 5 years. LOVED all of them. Weather is acrap shoot, however, the ones we took in October were VERY cold. Be advised that a lot of restaurants and tourist attractions CLOSE in early October. If you cruise in October bring plenty of warm clothes and gloves. Check out the areas you want to tour and be sure they will be open. Otherwise, the cruise is wonderful!!

We did a Canada/New England cruise a few years ago from New Jersey to Quebec in early October. The leaves were just starting to turn in NY, they were very bright in Boston and Bar Harbor and they were almost gone in Quebec. Like others have said, you never know from year to year. Enjoy your cruise.

October/Columbus day weekend marks the end of tourist season for these areas so there won't be a ton of activity. But if you are looking for natural beauty - you'll get it at the end of September and possibly up through mid-October. Really all year round Canada is beautiful.

Guaranteed that it will be cold in Canada/Northern NE.

October 2012. Weather questions are always chancy, I know that, and I can live with cool weather, some rain and fog and higher seas. But is it too late in the year to have at least some fine weather plus the fall colours which must be absolutely fabulous.

We did NE/Canada on the Jewel Oct 1-8 this year. Portland was cool and rainy, Bar Harbor was nice with just a jacket, St. John was a chilly and Halifax was downright freezing; that day in port I wore a turtleneck, heavy fleece pullover, lined jacket, scarf, gloves and fleece ear warmers.

It would have been this year:rolleyes: While the foliage was late this year; October was pretty cool and wet.

If foliage and warm weather is really a priority, I'd try to sail before the Columbus weekend ( usually second weekend in October). As others have said, in Bar Harbor, many of the shops and restaurants will be closed for the season after that. The foliage is usually peak around that weekend, but there is about a 2 week difference in the foliage from southern NE to Northern NE. And based on the season, it can be a week to 10 days in either direction, early or late.

In any event, if you prepare for any weather, you would have a great trip!

Archived