American Express Platinum/Black Card

As a victim of having my identity compromised twice so far, I am more than happy to have my card denied and have to call the fraud department. There is nothing worse than having to go through identity theft/compromise. It is truly an uneasy and nerve racking feeling. When this occured, my bank told me to pick two credit cards that I would use when I travel and notify them each time I am on vacation and to notify my bank also about my vacation plans. I have done this since.

Oh by the way, the two credit cards that caught the fraud.. American Express and yes, Bank of America!!! I'll be more than happy to keep them both.

Kuddles 14, I understand when you are FAR from home having to notify the banks that you are traveling, however having to ASK PERMISSION to use the card close to home is not ok! That is why we have stopped all but one of our AMEX cards and choose not to accept the invite to have a black AMEX. Yes some like to prestige they feel people give for that card but really it doesn't impress me. I will stick to cards that don't embarrass me while I try to use them.

• 1 month later...

My TA went to pay for my upcoming cruise with my Platinum AMEX card. The rep. said, that (for my 5 night cruise) they would give me $100 in onboard credit, a bottle of premium champagne, and dinner for two in a specialty restaurant. BUT, we would have to give up our Royal Caribbean balcony discount ($150) in order to take advantage of this. (Don't fully understand why.) So, the AMEX offer is probably slightly better, but I was wondering if others have had experience with this yet and how it has worked out for them.

Black Is by invatation only - however, Platinum is not - however, I would imagine you would have to have somewhat decent credit to get it.

On previous cruises that I have booked through Expedia, they were able to just add the perks to my reservation without going through American Express Platinum Travel.

The cruise program is only for truly American Express Cards... If you are not paying the 450 dollar annunal fee then you most likely do not have the right card.

I am waiting for someone from American Express to get back to me on all the rules - I will post them when I get them.

Here is an example of how I justify the 450 dollar annual fee -

I am booked on the Celebrity Sillhoutte on Jan 5th. I booked into a C3 catergory for around 3100 - because I had an Amex Plat Card I got an automatic upgrade to a C1 aft balcony at time of booking. The price diffrence was around 1,000 dollars.

I also got the other perks, such as dinner in one of the specialty restaurants, onboard credit and a bottle of wine.

This was all booked with Expedia using my card. - So in one cruise, it paid off the cost - and these are just the benefits on the cruise program. They offer so many other perks as well.

I take about 6 cruises a year - so for me it is worth it

here is a link to see what perks on cruises.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/cards/platinum/benefit.do?benefitTemplate=template_c&benefitId=3

Ryan

Have the platinum amex and the fee is 450.00 a year. Another great perk...if you fly across the pond your significant others coach airfare is free, yes I did not stutter it's free!....K.O. near Philly, happy cruising:)

My TA went to pay for my upcoming cruise with my Platinum AMEX card. The rep. said, that (for my 5 night cruise) they would give me $100 in onboard credit, a bottle of premium champagne, and dinner for two in a specialty restaurant. BUT, we would have to give up our Royal Caribbean balcony discount ($150) in order to take advantage of this. (Don't fully understand why.) So, the AMEX offer is probably slightly better, but I was wondering if others have had experience with this yet and how it has worked out for them.

This is standard procedure for Royal Caribbean as you can't combine benefits with the exception of the OBC from booking onboard with the balcony discount OR a C&A coupon for your specific sailing.

We get points with our AE Gold Card. I wonder if they might do something with the gold card privildges maybe on a little lesser scale. It would be nice to be able to use my reward points for a cruise or OBC with RCCL. I will have to keep my eyes and ears open on this one.

Agreed! Us Amex gold card holders pay a pretty steep annual fee (although not nearly as steep as platinum). It would be nice if they'd throw us a bone too.

As a side note I've been thrilled with Amex. Went immediately for the Gold and have found the service fantastic on the few occasions I've had to deal with them.

But the Platinum card is a lot easier to get. And the fee is a lot lower. Not CHEAP, but the $300 on board credit helps off set it. Maybe entirely? I dunno w hat the fee is, but it's gotta be around $300-$500 I would think.

My Platinum also gets me into First / Business class lounges even when I've paid economy. If you travel by air as much as I do, the Platinum AmEx is TOTALLY worth the 475 annual.

Great thread! I need to get more information on the OBC (our next cruise is paid in full - on another card). The next one only has a deposit placed so I need to find out if we would be eligible for any OBC.

One thing I didn't see mentioned (might have missed it) is that with the Platinum card you will be reimbursed for up to $200 a year in airline fees such as baggage, upgrades, food, beverages etc.

Have the platinum amex and the fee is 450.00 a year. Another great perk...if you fly across the pond your significant others coach airfare is free, yes I did not stutter it's free!....K.O. near Philly, happy cruising:)

I thought this perk ended last year? They kept the first class companion travel benefit but dropped the coach class version, I thought? Maybe I'm wrong.

Great thread! I need to get more information on the OBC (our next cruise is paid in full - on another card). The next one only has a deposit placed so I need to find out if we would be eligible for any OBC.

One thing I didn't see mentioned (might have missed it) is that with the Platinum card you will be reimbursed for up to $200 a year in airline fees such as baggage, upgrades, food, beverages etc.

This is a great benefit, but note that you have to choose one airline each year to which this applies.

We were unable to combine with the "booking aboard" benefits, but thought we were able to combine with the balcony discount. It must depend on which program you book under.

Platinum Card and Centurion members receive exclusive Cruise Privileges Program amenities aboard Royal Caribbean:

Two-category upgrade or up to $300 per stateroom shipboard credit, depending on ship and category booked (see chart below)

Complimentary dinner for two in specialty restaurant*

Bottle of premium champagne

* Note: Passengers aboard ships without a specialty restaurant receive $50 per stateroom spa credit in place of dinner

You must call Royal’s dedicated Amex reservations number 888-836-4918 and use booking code SFO2 to have CPP benefits added.

CPP Combinability on Royal

Combinable with:

LAF and restricted rates (Seniors, Residents, Military). Offer is also combinable with Exclusive Onboard Booking Bonus, National Account Tactical Offers, and American Express Destination Family Program.

Not combinable with any other offer or promotion, including but not limited to American Express Group Program

Single Passenger Supplement on Royal

Single passengers, when paying single passenger supplement, will be entitled to full Cruise Privileges amenities.

Royal’s primary CPP benefit is either a two-category upgrade, or a $50-$300 per stateroom shipboard credit. The benefit depends on ship and category booked:

Oasis Class

Allure

Oasis

Suite All categories: $300 sbc

Balcony All categories except FB, B1, B2, C1, C2, D1,

D2: two-cat upgrade

FB, B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2: $100 sbc

Oceanview All categories except FO, F,H: two-cat upgrade

FO, F,H: $ 100 sbc

Inside All categories except FI, PR, L: two-cat upgrade

FI, PR, L: $50 sbc

Freedom Class

Freedom

Independence

Liberty

Suite All categories:$300 sbc

Balcony All categories except D1, D2: two-cat upgrade

D1, D2: $100 sbc

Oceanview All categories except FO, F,G: two-cat upgrade

FO, F,G: $ 100 sbc

Inside All categories except FI, FP, PR, K: two-cat upgrade

FI, FP, PR, K: $50 sbc

Voyager Class

Adventurer

Explorer

Mariner

Navigator

Voyager

Suite All categories: $300 sbc

Oceanview All categories except FO, F,G: two-cat

upgrade

FO, F,G: $100 sbc

Inside All categories except PR, K: two-cat upgrade

PR, K: $50 sbc

Radiance Class

Brilliance

Jewel

Radiance

Serenade

upgrade

Inside All categories except K, L: two-cat upgrade

K, L: $50 sbc

Vision Class

Enchantment

Grandeur

Legend

Rhapsody

Splendour

Vision

Balcony D1, D2: $100 sbc

upgrade

Inside All categories except FI, J, K: two-cat upgrade

FI, J, K: $50 sbc

Sovereign Class

Majesty

Monarch

Balcony n/a

Oceanview All categories except SO, F1: two-cat upgrade

SO, F1: $100 sbc

Inside All categories except K, L: two-cat upgrade

K, L: $50 sbc

Notes

Shipboard credit and two-cat upgrade cannot be combined.

Shipboard credit is not redeemable for cash..

Booking must originate in categories noted above to receive two-cat upgrade.

Two-cat upgrades based on availability, and are within category class.

Guaranteed Bookings/GTD are not eligible for CPP

I had the platinum and kept it until this year because without my husband there is very little travel I do and the main reason I had it was the airport lounge and the partnership with Continental. That partnership is no longer in effect so without a single useful perk it was not worth it. It's worth noting that Continental went with their own version of that card for a bit less money and I suspect if it's successful they won't go back to partnering with amex, but if it's not they might.

This is exactly why we cancelled our Platinum Amex about 18 months ago. We fly more then we cruise and the Continental Presidential Business Plus card was cheaper, offered more flight perks and basically offered the same options including a Presidents club membership rather then just admittance to the Continental club.

I first my normal Platinum card back when they offered this type thing for Princess cruiselines. Back then the AMEX fee was about $350/year so this was a wash and a no brainer. The other nice feature is the access to the airline clubs. If you are flying on certain airlines, you just need to show your card and the boarding pass for that day and you are in. After getting off a cruise in San Juan with a full blown cold and having a flight that would not leave until 5 hours later, having use of the Delta Crown Club room was a god-send.

Another recent perk is that if you identify a particular airline with your card, AMEX will cover the additional fees that airlines now charge up to $200/yr. The literature mostly mentioned the baggage fees and the seat upgrades fees but I got a pleasant surprise after my recent trip to Las Vegas.

Got my credit card statement and saw that my checked bag fee was credited to my account but also saw two credits, one of $6 and one of $7. Took me a bit to remember that I had a beer on the flight out and a wine on the way back. AMEX picked up the tab. ;)

You don't have to be a frequent traveler, to make the numbers work, you just need to be aware of the benefits and if they are applicable for your travel needs.

BTW, my platinum card is my go-to card and have not had issues with it being denied for a fraud check.

Lynda is absolutely right about the fraud alerts.

I have had AMEX cards in both green & gold since the 1970s.

I have never had any questions or refusals when using it anywhere in the world.

Ditto for me too. The one fraud alert I did have really was fraudulent. And I had a new card in my hand within 24 hours.

I don't see any information about this RCI perk on the AmEx website. Unfortunately, I received it after I booked my cruise but the annual fee is only $65 p.a. so maybe it's for a different platinum card.

Generally not. The benefits are for the general Amex card, not the airline specific ones.

I used to have an Aeroplan Amex, but switched to Visa when I saw how few places in Canada take Amex. Still might be worth it for travelling though, especially with the lounge access.

Having said that, a caveat about lounge access. Check what the various lounges will allow. Our last cruise we flew first class, and still couldn't get into the lounge because all the lounges are for "international" only.

Generally not. The benefits are for the general Amex card, not the airline specific ones.

I used to have an Aeroplan Amex, but switched to Visa when I saw how few places in Canada take Amex. Still might be worth it for travelling though, especially with the lounge access.

Having said that, a caveat about lounge access. Check what the various lounges will allow. Our last cruise we flew first class, and still couldn't get into the lounge because all the lounges are for "international" only.

We use our unbranded Platinum card to access the lounges for domestic travel all the time. IMO, it's one of the best perks of the card, especially since it allows you to take in a couple of guests.

Thanks for all the information about the card. If you take at least two cruises per year in a suite, the card pays for itself with the $300 on-board credit.

Interesting information and worth considering. However, in reading the information on the American Express website, it appears that you also have to make the booking through American Express Travel Services and you can not use your own travel agent. That is something to consider if you have a valued agent who has always provided you with excellent advice and superior service.

Have the platinum amex and the fee is 450.00 a year. Another great perk...if you fly across the pond your significant others coach airfare is free, yes I did not stutter it's free!....

To qualify that, its free with a purchase of a full fare ticket. So no discount web sites... you have to buy from the airline direct. Which can be quite pricey in my experience. Now that does depend on where you go, but my last first class flight from Detroit to Seattle was $2400. (I wasn't paying for it, so no issue for me :p).

Interesting information and worth considering. However, in reading the information on the American Express website, it appears that you also have to make the booking through American Express Travel Services and you can not use your own travel agent. That is something to consider if you have a valued agent who has always provided you with excellent advice and superior service.

Used this program twice. My travel agent handled it all and got the benefits of the Amex program. You do not have to book through Amex.

Used this program twice. My travel agent handled it all and got the benefits of the Amex program. You do not have to book through Amex.

Thanks, that is good to know. The language on the Amex website gave me opposite impression. Glad to hear that I was mistaken.:)

Archived