Religious services???

midasman7

It depends on if there's someone aboard who's willing to do a service and makes arrangements to do so.

On our b2b2b cruises we had a minister on each of the first two cruises who did a lovely interdenominational service on Sundays.

On the third cruise we had a Salvation Army 'minister' who did a prayer service on Sunday.

There wasn't a Catholic priest on any of those three cruises who said Mass.

I think a Jewish Sabbath service was offered on one of the cruises but I don't remember it being offered on the others. I could be wrong.

We had Mass on X Summit - Alaska and on NCL Jewel TA but not since. I take a mini rosary just in case we can't make it, due to itinerary.

If I am travelling with my mom (aka "the Catholic Police"), if we are in port on a Sat. afternoon or Sunday we will give 100% effort to make Mass. We love seeing different churches a over the world. We went to Mass in Funchal on our TA, even though there was a Priest on board.

• 4 years later...

This thread seemed like it could use an update. Would anyone have any information about NCL, but especially about the Epic, and the provision of church services?

We will be sailing on the Epic on Christmas eve/Christmas Day and I wondered if there would be anything because of it being a special holiday.

I read the previous posts about how a pastor could volunteer and just wondered if that were still true.

Thanks in advance,

Sinbad

This thread seemed like it could use an update. Would anyone have any information about NCL, but especially about the Epic, and the provision of church services?

We will be sailing on the Epic on Christmas eve/Christmas Day and I wondered if there would be anything because of it being a special holiday.

I read the previous posts about how a pastor could volunteer and just wondered if that were still true.

Thanks in advance,

Sinbad

On our Spirit Christmas cruise in 2010 there was a priest onboard. We did not attend the service. No "Catholic Police" in our group. Not sure why but we have never been a family that attends on Christmas. There was also a Protestant minister onboard.

Last year on the Epic there was a church group from Oklahoma on board, and their priests (?) did midnight mass in the Epic Theater, and I think one or two other services during the cruise.

I don't think you can count on it happening. And I'm not sure there's a way to find out ahead of time if services will be offered. Maybe try e-mailing the ship's event coordinator (GroupEventEpic@ncl.com) a little closer to sailing.

Thanks in advance,

Sinbad

The original information is still correct.

Last year on the Epic there was a church group from Oklahoma on board, and their priests (?) did midnight mass in the Epic Theater, and I think one or two other services during the cruise.

I don't think you can count on it happening. And I'm not sure there's a way to find out ahead of time if services will be offered. Maybe try e-mailing the ship's event coordinator (GroupEventEpic@ncl.com) a little closer to sailing.

Catholic Priests have to say mass every day. I have been in a group with a priest and I emailed ahead to tell the Cruise Director (in this case it was RCL) and they arranged a space for mass. I think he did it every day rather than just on Saturday evening. It will of course depend on the Priest as to whether they do a public mass or simply say it in their cabin. The service was well attended but he certainly did not get a reduction in his room rate!

Thanks in advance,

Sinbad

We were on a Christmas cruise (Pearl) several years ago and there were 2 priests who conducted the most beautiful Christmas Eve mass. The room was packed - both guests and staff - and we enjoyed it very much. Another Christmas cruise (Pearl) after it had no mass and we were disappointed. We were told it just depended on if they were able to get a priest on board. We're hoping we get lucky again on the Pearl (Panama Canal) this year.

nothing has changed.

if there is a religious leader on board... he 'might' do a service.

if there are none, Carnival does not provide one.

Same as 2011

I think it would be weird if Carnival provided one.