Jewel aft or Liberty connecting cabins?

FrannyK

I'm really torn here. We (two couples) have two corner afts on the Jewel, one directy above the other (9256/8168). We've never had an aft balcony before and really wanted to try them. And apparently these particular corner afts are sought after. But, we usually vacation together in connecting rooms, and have been for 25 years.

Now, I've found out the Liberty balcony dividers can be opened. If I switch to the Liberty, and get cabins next to each other and open the balcony we could have somewhat "connecting" rooms and save $400 total. I also think the Liberty is a larger ship and may have more to offer us. I just don't know! Is it worth giving up our corner afts on Jewel for $400 savings ($100 each) and the convenience of being together? Also, the other couple has only been on Voyager class; would Radiance class disappoint them?

If we stick w/the corner afts on the Jewel, how do we get up and down? Do we have to go mid-ship to take elevator/stairs? It looks like there might be "crew" stairs right by our cabin but don't know if we can actually use them..

I would go with Liberty especially since opening the balcony dividers is important to you. We love corner aft balconies and have had 7172 on the Jewel but you will not be able to use a crew stairway to get to your friends cabin, you will need to walk to the passenger stairway and take the elevator or stairs.

Jewel is a nice ship and a favorite of many but we prefer a larger ship with a Royal Promenade like Liberty.

It all comes down to personal preference but paying less is nice too.;)

I live 20 minutes from the port of Tampa...but will be taking the 4 hr drive down to FLL to get on Liberty tomorrow.....Freedom Class over Radiance class is our preference any day. However I think you should take a close look at what both ships offer and make your decision based on that.

BTW...many people here go gaga over aft cabins....they don't do a thing for me....I will take mid-ship or hump any day....don't let all the hype sway you...make your decisions based on what you like and works best...not what others hype up.

I'm really torn here. We (two couples) have two corner afts on the Jewel, one directy above the other (9256/8168). We've never had an aft balcony before and really wanted to try them. And apparently these particular corner afts are sought after. But, we usually vacation together in connecting rooms, and have been for 25 years.

Now, I've found out the Liberty balcony dividers can be opened. If I switch to the Liberty, and get cabins next to each other and open the balcony we could have somewhat "connecting" rooms and save $400 total. I also think the Liberty is a larger ship and may have more to offer us. I just don't know! Is it worth giving up our corner afts on Jewel for $400 savings ($100 each) and the convenience of being together? Also, the other couple has only been on Voyager class; would Radiance class disappoint them?

If we stick w/the corner afts on the Jewel, how do we get up and down? Do we have to go mid-ship to take elevator/stairs? It looks like there might be "crew" stairs right by our cabin but don't know if we can actually use them..

I would say for the savings, and the convenience of hooking up cabins to be close, as that is important to you.....I would switch. It is quite a ways to walk back to the stairs to go back and forth between the two cabins if you do that frequently.

You can see each other off the balconies, as long as you are leaning out by the rail...but visiting easily between the cabins is not going to happen.

BTW: 9256 is my favorite cabin on the ship!!

Am booked in that cabin again on her twin sister the Radiance.

But we only sail as a couple in one cabin.

When is your sail date?

Let us know how it turned out for you, and have a great cruise!

We love the aft cabins! And we really love the Jewel! It has a lot of often over-looked special places. And those warm tiled lounges in the spa, So Awesome!

You can easily talk to each other in the aft cabins, and we spent many a morning and night enjoying the sun coming up and setting with our fellow aft cruisers.

You just have to search you heart, as for me, the Jewel afts are the best!

We were just on Jewel and found that the long hike from the Centrum elevators and stairwell to attend a cruise party hosted by cruise critic friends, definitely reinforced our decision not to book an aft cabin. We prefer and have found the hump cabins especially 9780 and 9092 suit us much better. Crew stairwell is off limits to passenger except in an emergency though the long walk to the center stairs and elevators may help work off any extra calories you gain during the cruise.:)

I too love the Jewel and have been in corner aft #1100 and it was amazing, especially thru the Baltics on a 12 nighter.. Have also just been on the Liberty twice in the last couple of months.. I think you & your friends would enjoy not only the ship but the convenience of two cabins next to each other..hopefully the Captain will allow balconies to be opened on your sailing..ask your cabin steward as soon as you see him/her...Best of luck and enjoy !!!

All things being equal I would go with Liberty. As others have indicated on the Radiance class ships it is a long hike from the aft cabins to the nearest elevators. Personally, I generally prefer the Fredoms over the Radiance class -- I just prefer the greater range of activities.

Having said the above, I also recognize that all things are rarely equal. The absolute top of the heap in my selection criteria is where the ship is going. Ship choice is maybe fourth on my list after itinerary, price and who is coming along. Frankly, if the top three line up, for me the ships are almost interchangeable. But if I had to choose, the Freedoms are my favorites. [haven't been on the Oases yet]

Both the Liberty and Jewel go to Cozumel so no difference there.

I would go with Liberty and the convenience....not to mention saving 400.00...that buys you a lot of extras! :)

Let us know what you decided, and have a great cruise!

I am heading out that way next month. When do you go?

What week on Liberty are you looking at?

If you are looking at 1/26/12 you have some side by side aft balconies on deck 10 that are available. #1702, #1704, #1402, and #1404. They are Category D1's.

Those cabins and balconies will make you forget those corner aft balconies on Jewel in a hurry.

Liberty D1's aft would only be $17.00 more for the cabin compared to Jewel's Category E1's........With Liberty you are getting a larger cabin, and a much larger Balconies plus Liberty is a whole lotta of more ship. Each cruise is 4 nights.

Pick Liberty !

Jimbo:)

What week on Liberty are you looking at?

If you are looking at 1/26/12 you have some side by side aft balconies on deck 10 that are available. #1702, #1704, #1402, and #1404. They are Category D1's.

Those cabins and balconies will make you forget those corner aft balconies on Jewel in a hurry.

Liberty D1's aft would only be $17.00 more for the cabin compared to Jewel's Category E1's........With Liberty you are getting a larger cabin, and a much larger Balconies plus Liberty is a whole lotta of more ship. Each cruise is 4 nights.

Pick Liberty !

We are looking at 1/26/12. Our cabins on Jewel are D2's not E. So we are comparing the same size cabin but larger balcony/more privacy on Jewel since they are corner afts.

We are looking at 1/26/12. Our cabins on Jewel are D2's not E. So we are comparing the same size cabin but larger balcony/more privacy on Jewel since they are corner afts.

The cabin sizes should be approx the same, but the balcony on the corner afts on the

Jewel (and her Radiance class twin sisters) are huge, and is what sells those cabins.

We enjoyed our cruise out of Tampa, but prefer the 5 day that visits Costa Maya also. Though I believe RCI has dropped that port of call for next year, real shame as we really enjoyed that port.

Either way, have a great cruise!

That is where you are wrong....Liberty aft D1's Balcony is larger then #9256.

We have stayed in #9256, when putting the lounge chair straight out from the slider you can't even walk by the chair in front of the lounger. No room.

Looked over into #9258 and would have much rather had that balcony.

Also you know #8168 balcony is even smaller then #9256, don't think they are the same size because they are not.

Trouble with Jewel's corner balconies on deck 9, 8 and 7 is they aren't deep enough and the triangle space is useless.

You open up the divider on those deck 10 D1' Balconies on Liberty and you will have a huge balcony.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

The cabin sizes should be approx the same, but the balcony on the corner afts on the

Jewel (and her Radiance class twin sisters) are huge, and is what sells those cabins.

We enjoyed our cruise out of Tampa, but prefer the 5 day that visits Costa Maya also. Though I believe RCI has dropped that port of call for next year, real shame as we really enjoyed that port.

Either way, have a great cruise!

On deck 10 corner aft balconies are huge but they get smaller and smaller as you go down to deck 9, 8 and 7.

Those D2's used to be E1's before they decided they could make more money when selling them......They added that Category D2 a couple years ago........But really those cabins are the E Category Size.

The D1's on deck 10 on Liberty are more square footage, they are not the same size as what you are looking at on Jewel.

On deck 10 corner aft balconies are huge but they get smaller and smaller as you go down to deck 9, 8 and 7.

Thanks and Ah..yes.. cost twice as much! ;)

Would love 1100 (Junior Suite) but I can do 2 cruises in 9256 for the price of that one. Sigh....a retiree's income.

More time to cruise...less money to spend! :eek: :(

Those D2's used to be E1's before they decided they could make more money when selling them......They added that Category D2 a couple years ago........But really those cabins are the E Category Size.

The D1's on deck 10 on Liberty are more square footage, they are not the same size as what you are looking at on Jewel.

Wow, I didn't realize that. I thought all D category were the same square footage (cabin) and all E were the same square footage (cabin) (smaller than D) fleet wide. That's annoying!

OK, the saga continues... In weighing the Liberty/Jewel situation, I decided to check out airfare, which price-wise is the same, but, time-wise is not. We all want to take Southwest from Philly (for a few reasons) and getting to Tampa or FLL is fine but coming home, the non-stop from Tampa is at 12:30 but the non-stop from FLL isn't until 2:30 and we wouldn't get home till after 5:00. THAT makes a difference, especially since we all have kids at home w/sitters.

So now, it looks like we are pretty much back to the Jewel. And if so, now we are weighing keeping 9256 for us and maybe switching our friends from 8168 to 9254 which is next to us (sort of). We're not sure about the balcony of 9254 though, it seems to be an odd shape and could also have an obstruction, although it's not listed as being obstructed view. Even though 9254 and 9256 are not adjoining, they are closeby which would be nice/more convenient. But if the 9254 balcony is bad somehow, maybe just another balcony cabin on deck 9 would be better?

I'm getting a headache over this!!

OK, the saga continues... In weighing the Liberty/Jewel situation, I decided to check out airfare, which price-wise is the same, but, time-wise is not. We all want to take Southwest from Philly (for a few reasons) and getting to Tampa or FLL is fine but coming home, the non-stop from Tampa is at 12:30 but the non-stop from FLL isn't until 2:30 and we wouldn't get home till after 5:00. THAT makes a difference, especially since we all have kids at home w/sitters.

So now, it looks like we are pretty much back to the Jewel. And if so, now we are weighing keeping 9256 for us and maybe switching our friends from 8168 to 9254 which is next to us (sort of). We're not sure about the balcony of 9254 though, it seems to be an odd shape and could also have an obstruction, although it's not listed as being obstructed view. Even though 9254 and 9256 are not adjoining, they are closeby which would be nice/more convenient. But if the 9254 balcony is bad somehow, maybe just another balcony cabin on deck 9 would be better?

I wouldn't take 9254. There is a ladder and part of a bulkhead that block a good portion of the balcony. Look at this thread for info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=905505&highlight=jewel+9254

Before the flights made a difference,I would had said the LB,even though you do have 2 of the best cabins on the JW:)

Jan 26 final payments are coming up next week (Nov 27th...yup have a JS to pay off lol) so if you want to take the 'risk' and wait it out you might luck out and get better cabin placements on whichever ship you decide on!

Just might have people with the post Black Friday oops I shouldn't have bought that 80" TV and now I can't afford my cruise in January cancellations :D

Yes, 9254 is a bit odd with a ladder structure set up outside of it, and limited balcony use. But it is also very very close to 9256 as just around the corner. If all else fails, all four of you could be happy sharing the balcony on 9256. Plenty of room for a little table and four chairs with lots of railing to hang out on to watch the world go by! :)

OK now, here's the update: Staying w/Jewel for flight time reasons, keeping 9256 for ourselves. Our friends just gave up 8168 and switched to 9254 (sort of next to us) for the convenience factor. I think this is the best situation possible under the circumstances. We have seen pictures of 9254 and it looks fine to them. We just really like being next door to each other :)

We could always switch cabins if connecting cabins become available in a desirable location before final payment. I will keep watching...But, I really really want to try an aft! In all our past cruises I've never been able to secure one so I just feel this is it! Maybe we'll love it, maybe not, but I hate to pass up the opportunity to try it.

I thank you all so much for your opinions and insights. Don't know what I'd do without these boards and the kind posters (usually ;) when planning a cruise!

Archived