Heard great things about Celebrity's food

hsb5956

It has been many years since my last Celebrity cruise Horizon Bermuda. Heard great things about Celebrity's food what are some of the best dishes they serve? not so tempting dishes, buffet verses dinning room, sushi restaurant, specialty restaurants

I will be on Celerity Century 17 night Sydney - Honolulu March 2012

Smooth Sailing,

HSB 5956

Supposedly the meatballs are a Jacques Vans Staden specialty but I kept thinking... MEATBALLS? I'm Italian and make a mean meatball. I finally ordered them to share on my last cruise after passing them up previously. I have to say these weren't like mine but they were unbelievable. MEATBALLS!

I love their bread in the MDR.

Most of the soups are quite good.

To me the desserts are the weakest link, but still good.

I wouldn't call most of the food GREAT but i'd call it very dang good.

Century was our 1st Celebrity cruise, and got us hooked! The food was very good, and in some cases excellent. Be sure to try the specialty restaurant Murano, wonderful food and service. I think Celebrity does a fantastic job with any lamb dish (which is expensive and hard to find in most US restaurants) and I always order lamb whenever available. The breads are wonderful too.

I recently got off the Eclipse transatlantic cruise. Here are two links to my food photos:

Qsine dinner. A funky and fun specialty restaurant.

http://www.*****.com/Cruises/Eclipse-2011-Cruise-Food/20065557_C7NbV8#1582277684_XQWdHXp

Cruise food that Tony and I ate during our 13 nights, including one night at the captain's table.

http://www.*****.com/Cruises/Eclipse-Food/20100498_CHhNKH#1586351069_CJ7tXsZ

A couple of my favorites are the rack of lamb, lobster bisque, and the filet mignon in the Tuscan Grill (although the MDR does a very good job. I liked a lot of the dishes in Qsine.

I didn't like the seafood pasta dish. The seafood was overcooked.

Monica

Never had a bad meal on X except 5/11 to Alaska on the Century. Very disappointed in food and our waiters were in turtle mode I think. Funny thing is one night we were all late coming back from a tour and they let us come in at 830 and we had a different table with the best waiters who were in cheetah mode!! Will not stop us from going on any X cruise again. Love Blu, hubby not so much - must be too healthy for him:eek:.

On the "everyday" menu in the MDR there was escargot and onion soup both of which were delicious. Also as others have noted some very good lamb dishes in the MDR. However IMO almost all the desserts were one bite disappointments - they looked different, but all tasted pretty much the same (the exception may be a creme brulee on the "everyday menu). We ate one night at Murano and were disappointed but I think we are in the minority with that opinion. It seemed to be more about presentation and the lobster was so so (also not great in MDR). Also in Murano I was a bit tired that night and dining there is a lengthy experience. I tried to get the wait staff to pick up the speed a bit with no success. Also in the MDR I tried a couple of pastas and risottos - not the strong suits either.

We opted for the select dining in the MDR and were pleased with that - enjoyed meeting and dining with different people each evening - some folks complain about service with this option but we thought it was fine.

We enjoyed the buffets - instead of long serving lines, it is set up as stations so you have to "hunt and gather". What I liked best was making a delicious salad for lunch with greens. roasted vegetables (aspargus everyday), a nice roll and an assortment of nice cheeses! but of course that may not be your cup of tea.

Overall the food was decent but not so good that I overate at every meal. I agree with those who say that in general the food has declined from the former X heights but I think you can still enjoy the cuisine.

Our first Celebrity experience was in June on the Solstice. Not exactly the Century, but close. We rated the food as good to very good. Don't be shy! If you cannot decided between two items, try both. Or, if one doesn't work out, ask for an alternative. If you want a double order of an item, ask. They are happy to be helpful. We really liked the speciality dining places. Tried all three. Nice variety and great food there. Understand you have Murano on the Century. Loved the brunch buffet they had on a sea day. Below are a couple of food sample pictures to get your mouth watering!

Speciality Dining Photos/Tips including lots of Murano dining details and pictures:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434523&page=2

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 49,593 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From the Main Dining Room on the Solstice in June, here is one of the dishes that I enjoyed on this cruise. As I recall, it is a veal beef shank. I'm sure they will have on the Century.:

SolsticeVealShankMDR.jpg

In front of where the desserts were offered at the brunch buffet in the MDR, there were three ice carvings.:

SolsticeThreeIceCarvingDesserts.jpg

As a first time X cruiser on a 5 day Millie cruise recently I have to say I was impressed... My only complaint was that I can't eat seafood as I'm allergic to both fish and shellfish (and don't eat escargot and frog legs) and I felt that it really cut down on a HUGE amount of options in the MDR.

One night they even had baked potato soup with sauteed frog legs IN it... lol... But I thought anyone who loved seafood would have been VERY happy with the selections... Almost all nights I had cesar salad and onion soup because there simply were no other options for me... I couldn't even have the mixed fruit appetizer because I'm also allergic to mellon LOL... But overall I was really happy with the food, the steaks in the MDR could have been a bit thicker but I found all of my meals to be really tasty and satisfying...

Also I was really impressed with the buffets... there were so many options and so much food to choose from... I've previously sailed on RCL, NCL and Carnival. I think this was the most impressive buffet meals as far as sheer choices and higher quality of the food...

Also they had a brunch buffet in the MDR one day for lunch and that was really fantastic... again a lot of seafood options like shrimp cocktail and seafood salad etc.. so anyone into seafood would really be doing well!

Food is such a personal opinion you really can't go on "was the food good?" I personally like my food bland. We were in New Orleans and I didn't like the food. Does that mean that the food there is not good? NO WAY. It's just not how I like it. Never give me gourmet food, I don't like it, but that does not mean it's not good? No. If we all liked the same things, there would only be a few items on a menu with not a lot of different restaurant choices. I'm sure you can find something "good" at every meal, but that doesn't mean that the person sitting next to you will think that it's good.

Myrna

Archived