Interesting things found while snorkeling

LKYGSR

[ATTACH]213003[/ATTACH]

My husband took this while snorkeling in Grand Cayman. He said he thought it was an octopus but wasn't positive and wasn't going to try to touch it to find out. But there was definitely something under that coral.

Looks like a bristle worm to me but i can't enlarge the pic for some reason. I have a saltwater aquarium and those worms crawl out of the rocks looking for food scraps. They creep me out and apparently sting.

In Cozumel my husband was looking for me a shell. A hurricane had just came through so the water wasn't clear. He brought me this worn out shell. While looking for a new one he came up and I was freaking out. Something was in that shell and it looked gooey. It was a baby octopus. :-)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

A similar thing happened to me when snorkeling at Labadee. I found a conch shell and assumed it was empty. Imagine my surprise when, as I walked up on the beach, the critter inside reached out and touched my hand. Good thing my trunks were already wet!:o

This thread has inspired me to book the snorkeling tour I was thinking about in Hawaii. Now, I just hope I find something cool................:D

Hip hip hooray! An inspiring thread, how refreshing! :D

Have a great trip GC !

I love snorkeling! I am one of those people who can snorkel for hours. :p Although I haven't seen any jewelry I did see a tiny octopus; it was amazing! We we're in one of the cove's in Bermuda back in 2009 and I was just floating along when this little guy was hiding in the sand and then got up, shook the sand off himself and swam off. I was amazed and started screaming for my husband. This was the experience that I decided I needed to have an underwater digital camera....because every picture I took with the instant camera I bought off the ship didn't come out! :eek:

While snorkeling in Cozumel on his honeymoon, my son (who has really bad luck on a regular basis) got really excited when he found a ring. Picked it up and discovered that it was HIS ring.
Your fingers shrink in the water as every treasure hunter knows. It's a good idea not to bring jewerly to the beach, especially rings.

Your fingers shrink in the water as every treasure hunter knows. It's a good idea not to bring jewerly to the beach, especially rings.

Now I'm confused. Do things shrink or do they look 25% larger? I really need to know whether I should wear my swim trunks or not!

The number is actually 33% larger in fresh water, and 34% larger in salt water.

The item being viewed appears 25% closer than its position. I can't believe I actually remember this from my PADI certification in 87' :D

Last year while in St John USVI my DH brought me a beautiful shell he found in the water: I promptly told him to put it down on the sand... and imagine the surprise on his face when the crab came out of the shell and started walking back to the water :D:eek::D

A similar thing happened to me when snorkeling at Labadee. I found a conch shell and assumed it was empty. Imagine my surprise when, as I walked up on the beach, the critter inside reached out and touched my hand. Good thing my trunks were already wet!:o

Love it.. Great thread!!! Got my laugh for the day reading through these. :D

Just back from the Glory sail to the Western Caribbean. I scuba'd for the first time ever when we were at Grand Cayman. The whole experience blew my mind.

But one thing I thought was funny was, there was this sandy patch on the bottom. I saw one looooong trail coming from one direction, and one loooooong trail coming from the other direction. In the middle, two conchs, one on top of the other.

I thought it was some conch boomchichawow. But when I told the instructor, he said they were probably fighting. But hard to say at that speed. :D

Depends on how cold the water is....if ya know what I mean :eek:

Now I'm confused. Do things shrink or do they look 25% larger? I really need to know whether I should wear my swim trunks or not!

That's not the only concern....

"You know when you put a stick in the water and it looks like it's bent but really isn't? That's why I don't take baths." Steven Wright

Archived