What do you do with your trays

amillard222

Another side to this debate. In the past, I have left dishes in our cabin, from something delivered to our cabin. Not from room service, but a Platinum gift item. These dishes have sat in the cabin overnight, and all the next day and night. (Not kidding) Clearly, the cabin steward Does Not consider it his job, to deal with dirty dishes. I feel there is hardly enough desk space to start with, without having to balance things around left over dishes.

I try to feel like I'm in a nice hotel and leave the tray in the cabin. I've never had a problem with the steward removing them. On the other hand, I don't remember having a tray in the cabin on Carnival. I know RCCL prefers you not put them in the hall, also

Cunard. I don't know about the other lines. It is gross having to pass trays with the remains of someone's meal in the hallways. It's kind of like having a bin full of dishes from

restaurant meals sitting on a table next to you...yuck

Nowadays, though, people do whatever works for them, so we'll all do our own thing, anyway.

That's Great!

excellent story!:D

Thanks...I love your quotes..here is one...I have in calligraphy and a cut out of my state...

"I am in love with Montana, for other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it is difficult to analyze love when you are in it..."

John Steinbeck

He got out of here some in winter ...lol..he must have..smiles...sarah

On topic..just be courteous..watch the halls..the handicapped rooms..and cruise lines preference, it is different than a wider hotel hall...Sarah

• 2 months later...
a group of travellers not knowing what to do with uneaten food, foodstuffs, and trays is another reason carnival doesn't make the conde naste polls.

so true!

last trip we had a couple( a couple doors down) who ate an incredibile amount of food thru room service. day and night there were trays of half eaten food laying about in the hallway.. I watched as this rather large person who just kind of droped the tray from about knee high to the floor as he could not bend all the way down.. it was the only time that i saw a room steward really mad going about his work..

We always leave them in the cabin. Nothing more disgusting than seeing half eaten food or dirty dishes laying in the halls.....tacky!

I see nothing tacky about it. If there are tons of trays in the hallway on a cruise or in a hotel, then that is a sign of the staff not keeping on top of things, not the guest.

just a question for anyone who likes to have breakfast in your room. I was just reading a thread about getting food from the lido to enjoy on your balcony. What do you do with the trays? I dont want to feel crazy like i did the first time i cruised. Hubby and i got on the ship, had lunch and then had no clue what to do with our trays and plates. I finally convienced hubby to go and ask an employee what to do with them. I felt crazy all week just leaving a mess on the table. So do you leave the plates in your room, take them back to lido or put them in the hallway? Any info would be great!:d

p.s. I always wished that i would have been told in advance to just leave trays on the table or that there was a sign or something...lol

in regards to what to do with your dishes and trays--while eating in your cabin------well---wash them and put them in your suitcase--as a remembrance of your trip---------just kidding----dont you have a steward to clean your cabin??? Or put it out side your door-- irene and john

I see nothing tacky about it. If there are tons of trays in the hallway on a cruise or in a hotel, then that is a sign of the staff not keeping on top of things, not the guest.

one should walk the lido deck early morning. trash, food and other assorted garbage strewn all over the place. the early risers get an eyeful.

luckily, it's usually all gone by 6.

one should walk the lido deck early morning. trash, food and other assorted garbage strewn all over the place. the early risers get an eyeful.

luckily, it's usually all gone by 6.

I've been wandering both late when the drunks are making the mess, and up early to see the carnage. I am amazed at how some people act and just leave stuff strewn all over.

It's interesting to see the range of responses. On our last 3 cruises, I've asked our steward on the first day how he/she would like us to handle the room service trays. All 3 told me that we could leave the trays in the room, unless we didn't want the tray cluttering the room.

Just curious why it would depend on the time. Room service is 24 hours....right? So if a room servie person takes a tray to a cabin, they have empty hands to bring some back.

The staffing level for roomservice is less during the night. If a runner is delivering and there are trays in the hall, they take them back.

Just a question for anyone who likes to have breakfast in your room. I was just reading a thread about getting food from the Lido to enjoy on your balcony. What do you do with the trays? I dont want to feel crazy like I did the first time I cruised. Hubby and I got on the ship, had lunch and then had no clue what to do with our trays and plates. I finally convienced hubby to go and ask an employee what to do with them. I felt crazy all week just leaving a mess on the table. So do you leave the plates in your room, take them back to lido or put them in the hallway? Any info would be great!:D

P.S. I always wished that I would have been told in advance to just leave trays on the table or that there was a sign or something...lol

I just leave the tray in some out of the way place on either the balcony or in the room. The room steward will take care of it when (s)he cleans the room.

I've had some hotels request that we let them know when we've finished so that they could send someone to retrieve the dishes from the room, or from the hallway if we prefer.

An easy fix would be to add a feature on the t.v. where you could notify room service that you had dishes to pick-up. It would be a more efficient system for those responsible for collecting the mess. Instead of wandering the halls at a set hour, they could react to a particular area of the ship that had dishes to collect as needed.

Another side to this debate. In the past, I have left dishes in our cabin, from something delivered to our cabin. Not from room service, but a Platinum gift item. These dishes have sat in the cabin overnight, and all the next day and night. (Not kidding) Clearly, the cabin steward Does Not consider it his job, to deal with dirty dishes. I feel there is hardly enough desk space to start with, without having to balance things around left over dishes.

Since it wasn't from room service but a gift I would leave a note to remove it and have.

I asked our cabin steward about this last month. He said to leave them in the cabin. I know from personal experience that they pose a risk for injuries if left in the hallway. My DM, who uses a cane, sprang her ankle while trying to avoid a group of people on one side and trays on the other. The people were too rude to stop as she fell.

One of the things that irritates the heck out of me is walking by/manuevering around trays in the already narrow hallways...full of half eaten food.

I think it's disgusting so therefore, on the rare occasions that I would eat anything in my cabin (very rare) I leave the tray IN the cabin. I have never had an issue with the steward removing it the next time he came in to make up or turn down the bed.

"The stewards don't collect the trays from the hallways and take them back to the galleys, the food and beverage room service runners do that. Guests who remove the trays from their cabins to the hallways are doing a job function of their cabin steward, which they can do if they choose to, or not. That's how I figure it."

I figure it also that way:)

I've done both depending upon the timing, and here's why I think that they need a better system....

The trays, etc. that are left in the room overnight are often put out by the room stewards as they are cleaning, where they remain until the food service people arrive to pick them up. So essentially what happens is if you are trying to navigate the halls during the morning hours, there are trays and cleaning equipment blocking your progress. I do think that the stewards take coffee cups, plates, silverware, etc. that are brought down from the lido if they can find a place for them on their cart, but the full trays sit in the hall, at least in my experience.

There should be a way to notify the food and beverage department that dishes/trays are ready for pick-up, and they should by retrieved promptly.

I'm sure that the room stewards must let them know, or they'd still be sitting there. :)

I should re-word my answer............What I do with room service trays is-take them to the lido and return with breakfast for DW, since there are no trays on the lido buffet. THEN I leave it outside in the hall:).

Good for you and a great idea. Lets see if I can get DW to take tray to lido and bring me back breakfast.icon7.gif

Archived