The gym (a non-ship-specific question)

KarinaGW

So, I have been happily losing weight prior to my little cruise next week and while I'm not necessarily bent & determined to diet, I would like to at least spend some time in the gym to counteract the food.

Am I correct in my assumption that I need to haul a pair of sneakers on to use it? Just checking so I know if I have to hit a sneakerish store before I leave.

Thanx.

Please get some sneakers for your own well being. You should never workout without them unless you're doing yoga on a mat. If for nothing else, they will protect your feet. Another tip, mid-mornings to late afternoon in port and late afternoon at sea. I hate a cramped gym and if you're not going into port, most of the day the gym is sparsely populated. On sea days, most people workout in the mornings leaving later in the afternoon the ideal time.

Thanks. I assumed sneaks would be needed. My old ones are beat to hell and I didn't really contemplate this until...oh, today and we sail on Monday.

Sneakerish means I'm very likely not going to buy them at a sneaker specific store (i.e, foot locker) but some other sneaker selling venue.

Glad to have the time tips. There are a couple of ports where I'm only likely to go in for 2 or 3 hours and take advantage of empty ship the rest of the time.

Please wear sneakers for your own safety. You wouldn't believe what some people wear to the gym. :eek: I've seen it all, and I just shake my head. :rolleyes: Some look like they are ready to go to a 5* restaurant. :)

And good for you for losing weight and working to achieve your goal. That is the only way. :)

Karina, there's nothing like a small investment in a good pair of shoes. They make the difference, sometimes, in giving up or going the extra distance. My Nikes have saved my feet, literally. It is a pleasure to work out in them, and in fact, I look forward to it. You don't have to go to a gym or use the ship's gym to get fit and stay fit; walking is a great low-impact exercise and you can easily walk on any cruise ship.

Take care.

If you don't have any, invest in a couple of pairs of sports socks too because if your sneakers are new they might rub a bit and wearing the socks will help prevent that.

On our recent cruise on AOS staff were being very strict about footwear. I witnessed 3 separate occasions when people were asked to step off the equipment they were using due to inappropriate footwear (flip-flops, normal outdoor shoes and just socks). The "just socks" guy stayed on and the girl came back to insist.

I've seen people wearing those interesting toe shoes. They are supposed to be amazing for running. I don't really understand because it looks like the equivalent of running barefoot, but it's supposed to be the best.

Actually, those I have and they're incredibly comfy. But, I will be using them on the cruise as watershoes and for using on shore excursions. I want a dedicated indoor only pair of sneaks for using in gyms.

To save on space I often pack a pair of Keds rather than my usual walking or athletic shoes. While the Keds really don’t offer the support for super strenuous exercise, I find them fine for a daily walk on the treadmill or around the deck , or for some simple weight machine use.

This works for me, but serious gym users might need proper shoes.

M

I'm really surprised they allow people into the gym without proper athletic shoes...at least chucks. If nothing else than to protect themselves if someone hurts themselves because of slipping out of flip flops or whatever. *shrugs*

But yeah, small investment for a big payoff in keeping your feet healthy and supported while doing exercise. Congrats on the weight loss. I'm very big into maintaining my weight after having lost 114lbs a few years ago (before my first Explorer cruise). Working out on sea days is important to me, even if I'm not working out as intensely as I do at home.

I find it very odd that with everything people pack (power strips, irons, alcohol, etc.) it would not be automatic to take a good pair of sneekers whether they use the gym or not. I wear sandals aboard the ship but ALWAYS wear sneakers in port. One sure way to make a cruise uncomfortable (other than getting sun burned) is to get sore feet from too much walking. I actually started wearing sneakers while on board Oasis because of the walking issue.... there is a LOT of walking to do.:D

If you've been losing weight...etc...you probably are or were heavier and your feet, knees and hips need all the support you can give them, especially good arch support. I have been on 20 plus cruises and never have seen anyone reprimanded for wearing flip flops. :-( The guys are usually too busy selling body wraps or teaching detox clinics.

My favorite place to power walk is on the Promenade deck. You are shielded from intense sun and don't have to wait for machines or dodge others.

Good luck with your diet and exercise! I find it easier to eat healthy than not and the opportunities to walk, dance do step classes, etc are many. Have fun!

You are completely wrong. As a former triathlete whose left knee no longer allows running, I still get loads of exercise walking. I walk about 11-12 minutes per mile. I also use the incline function on the treadmill. Strolling around in Keds is quite different than brisk aerobic walking. Also, when you hike the Alps, it wipes out all the fondue calories.

You are completely wrong. As a former triathlete whose left knee no longer allows running, I still get loads of exercise walking. I walk about 11-12 minutes per mile. I also use the incline function on the treadmill. Strolling around in Keds is quite different than brisk aerobic walking. Also, when you hike the Alps, it wipes out all the fondue calories.

Sure if you add something to the walk that makes it challenging and gets you sweating. For anyone in decent shape walking does not get you sweating, unless your walking up a mountain or add some type of resistance to your walk.

I suggest getting some sneakers.

Also why does everyone keep referring to walking as a form of excerise. You will not lose any weight walking. Walking maybe helps older peoples joints from cramping up.

I lost 25 pounds "just walking" last year. Works for me!

Sure if you add something to the walk that makes it challenging and gets you sweating. For anyone in decent shape walking does not get you sweating, unless your walking up a mountain or add some type of resistance to your walk.

Sweating has nothing to do with whether or not you are burning up calories and everything to do with stabilization of body temperature. Pulse rate is a far better indicator of whether you are working yourself hard enough to get improvement in physical fitness.

I highly doubt it. You probably were on a diet as well. I know someone who lost almsot 100 pounds by just changing his diet and not excersiing at all. You almost burn no calories by walking.

Thats true, I was dieting a little. When I walked, I lost weight. When I didn't walk, I lost nothing. I also think it helps with toning and increasing energy level, which makes you more active overall, thus burning more calories in the end.

Sweating has nothing to do with whether or not you are burning up calories and everything to do with stabilization of body temperature. Pulse rate is a far better indicator of whether you are working yourself hard enough to get improvement in physical fitness.

Yes thats true, and I find it hard to get your pulse rate up by walking.

Archived