Allure of the Seas vs Explorer of the Seas?

npro1464

I've been researching cruises for a possible honeymoon next fall, and I wanted to know what the main difference between Allure and Explorer are. I know Allure is brand new, and ridiculously huge, but what are the main things I would be missing out on if I booked the Explorer? Also, does anyone have any experience going out of NJ? I was afraid of too many days at sea, even though RCLs ships pack a lot of entertainment. I also like the Explorer's itinerary more, but think 11 days is a little long for a cruise.

Explorer cruise: Bayonne NJ, @ Sea, @ Sea, Labadee Haiti, San Juan PR, St Martin, Antigua, St Kitts, @ Sea, @ Sea, @ Sea, Bayonne NJ.

Balcony: $1300

Allure: Ft Lauderdale FL, @ Sea, Labadee Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica, @ Sea, Cozumel MX, @ Sea, Ft Lauderdale Fl.

Balcony: $1000

Also, how long should I wait with RCL cruises? Will prices go down? Both cruises leave Nov 4, during down season. Thanks!!

You should book NOW because if the price goes down between now and final payment, you can call and get the price adjustment.

You would have a great time on either ship, but I would think Allure is more special for Honeymooners because of all the superior entertainment options, and there's more to do/see on the ship.

Hard call. Both BillOh and DonnaK are right also we haven't been on Allure yet, going next Nov. but we do love the Explorer and not having to fly and the longer cruise but that's just my 2 cents. When we sailed late Oct through early Nov. the first sea day was cool but but mid-afternoon it was beautiful and the last day back was an in day, way too windy. IMO you can't go wrong with either and DonnaK is right, book early and watch for price drops.

I've been researching cruises for a possible honeymoon next fall, and I wanted to know what the main difference between Allure and Explorer are.

I would do EOS. Matter of fact, I have done it twice.

Reason #1 - no flying. Bayonne is incredibly convenient.

EOS has a great crew, and the ship is very nice.

Then, you will find a 7 day cruise over just when you are getting in the groove. The EOS 11 days is wonderful. Those last two sea days relaxing coming home are great.

However, if huge, flowrider, zipline are important, go on the Allure.

Love the itinerary for that Explorer cruise! Allure is awesome, and you would be missing out on Central Park, Boardwalk, Aquatheater, and several dining options. I think I would go with the Explorer here, 11 days is NOT too long.

I have done both cruises, exactly as you describe but just not in November (- Explorer in January and Allure in October!).

There are many ways to decide. Obviously, price - but that does not include transportation to your port. Parking at the Cape Liberty terminal is $ 19 per night, unless you can get someone from home to drive you and pick you up. There are some motorcoach pickup cities in NJ but you would need to find a good travel agent to help you.

Driving to Fort Lauderdale will take you 19 hours from NJ and lots of money for gas. Staying at a Stay-Park-Cruise hotel the night before will cost around $140.00.

Flying to FLL will probably cost you a good bit of money, especially with luggage/baggage fees, as well as a hotel the night before, because planning to arrive the day of departure is always risky. So add that cost in as well.

How many cruises have you taken together? Or by yourself for that matter? How "mobile" are you both? Lots of walking on the Allure vs. average walking on the Explorer.

Both ships have wonderful restaurants, pools, bars, crews, shows and similair cabins. The Allure has a wider variety of cabins but with more choices come higher prices.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you need to cost EVERYTHING out, figure all the time you'll need to take off. The drinks, excursions and spa services cost the same price, no matter which ship you're on.

Feel free to ask any more questions. Everyone on this board is always glad to help you.

Hope this helps! - Miriam

11 days is not long enough :mad: I hate when they tell us to leave.

Jimbo:)

Jimbo..i agree..;)

OP.....i haven't been on either Allure or Oasis...BUT you're getting a longer cruise on EX and you don't have to fly.....and 11 days really isn't too much 7 seems too SHORT....:D

I agree though, book whichever you choose ASAP as Explorer (and I guess Allure) tends to fill up FAST...and keep watching for lower prices as well.....i do that obsessively on RCCL's website...

I've been on EX 11 times....must say that I really like the ship (and NOT flying-not that i mind flying, it's just easier to be on the ship in an hour as opposed to at the airport in an hour for a multi-hour trek to Fl or where ever!

I've been on both ships. I was on Allure last January 9th and I was on Explorer this summer. Hands down - Allure of the Seas. I am a seasoned cruiser and have been on most the company's ships and the best cruise I ever had based on just the ship was the Allure. The entertainment was superb, the restaurants and pubs were abundant, and the ship, itself, is something you will not stop raving about. With that said, the Explorer is lovely. She was recently renovated and leaving out of Bayonne is a money saver. However, this is your honeymoon and hopefully it will be your only one - so do it right! The Explorer does not have the beach pool, flow rider, zipline, comedy central, broadway production show, aqua theatre, merry-go-round, rising tide bar. It does have, like the Allure, the promenade, mini golf, iceskating, and Johnny Rockets.

On another note, I am going on the Liberty this coming January. The Liberty is more like the Allure than the Explorer. It has a broadway show and a production like Blue Planet. It also has the cupcake factory. It has a flowrider as well. Only the Allure, Oasis, Liberty and, I think Independence, have broadway production shows.

Just my opinion, but go on the Allure. Congraulations

i been on both ships. One is the EXOS in Nov 2009 and Allure December 5, 2010.(Maiden Voyage) Both ship are good to enjoy. Allure offer more stuff to do if that what you want for your honeymoon. EXOS has skating time and shows. 11 days seem long but once you enjoy those 11 days, it make you feel i wanna stay on longer. Also you get chance to do lot of island hopping on the EXOS. EXOS is more peacefully then Allure. Allure was way to short for 7 days and I still miss out a lot. Allure only let you do 3 islands. Not much to do. So it up to you to decide which preference of the action on the ship you looking for. Quiet or Busy?

Yeah, I wouldn't want to get bored on the ship, I guess that's my main concern about Explorer. But, we would have to be flying in the day of the cruise as our wedding is set for that Saturday (and my fiancé doesn't want to leave a week later) so that is something to consider. Is that really that big of an obstacle? I would think if we had a flight that left by 7 am, we'd make it for the 5 pm departure, but many members here seem to dislike that idea. The cost of airfare would wash out the premium that the Explorer charges. Theres some things Id really like to see on Allure, like the water show. How is leaving and reboarding the Allure when arriving at an island? I'd imagine it would take forever to get everyone on and off.

And yes, I've been on two cruises before, both of them were Costa carribean cruises. They were ok, the multi-cultural thing wore on me a little. I'd imagine Carnival is very similar, which is why I've been focusing in on RCL and Princess cruises. There is quite a difference in cost though.. Thanks for the advice!

I would do EOS. Matter of fact, I have done it twice.

Reason #1 - no flying. Bayonne is incredibly convenient.

EOS has a great crew, and the ship is very nice.

Then, you will find a 7 day cruise over just when you are getting in the groove. The EOS 11 days is wonderful. Those last two sea days relaxing coming home are great.

However, if huge, flowrider, zipline are important, go on the Allure.

I'm with you. Will do our 3rd EOS this June, and have also been on Mariner 3 times. Our favorite class ship.

I'm not a big fan of HUGE. Even the Freedom Class is too big for us.

But to each their own. Many people like the big resort style venues.

We like it simple.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to get bored on the ship, I guess that's my main concern about Explorer.

We recently returned from our first cruise, 10 nights on Explorer. We had 5 sea days, and were never bored. There is a lot to do, even when the weather is chilly. I'd pick the longer Explorer cruise. Actually, I'm drooling over the Nov. 4th cruise wishing I could book it.

We recently returned from our first cruise, 10 nights on Explorer. We had 5 sea days, and were never bored. There is a lot to do, even when the weather is chilly. I'd pick the longer Explorer cruise. Actually, I'm drooling over the Nov. 4th cruise wishing I could book it.

Is $1300 a good price for a balcony for that cruise? The Allure and Ruby Princess are both around $1000, albeit they are 7 days and the Explorer is 11. I know NJ/NY departure cruises are typically more expensive.

Is $1300 a good price for a balcony for that cruise? The Allure and Ruby Princess are both around $1000, albeit they are 7 days and the Explorer is 11. I know NJ/NY departure cruises are typically more expensive.

I have no idea. We stayed in a grand suite, and it's the only cruise we've ever been on, so not sure what a good balcony price is. I do know we paid only $350 pp more for our suite than that for this November cruise we just came back from.

Have been on Explorer and that class several times, and Oasis once. I was both overwhelmed and underwhelmed with Oasis, if that's possible. :p I won't fill this post with complaints and negatives, and suffice it to say that I adore any cruise.... but I would definitely take Explorer and the longer itinerary. She is a phenominal ship and the crew is fantastic. I know both ships will give you a wonderful vacation, but my choice is Explorer.

We've done the EXOS cruise and really enjoy the seas days which allow us to decompress. There also is a lot to say for being close enough to drive and park at Bayonne and avoid flying in on the same day.

If you decide to do the Allure then take the earliest non-stop/direct flight from NY/NJ that you can. Make sure the airline has another early non-stop flight after that which will allow you to make the ship if your early flight is delayed/cancelled. Make sure your tickets are from an airline will allow you to be rebooked on another major carrier, if need be.

That being said, have a wonderful time, and best wishes for many years of happiness and cruising.

I'd pick Explorer.

We did 9 days on Explorer out of Bayonne to Caribbean last December 2010 in grand suite, and it was amazing. Add to this not having to fly, long cruise with leisurely sea days, it all worked for us...

so much so... that

We booked Explorer again for 10 days next December, also grand suite, almost same itinerary as yours.

I would go out of Bayonne for a different reasaon. Nov 4th 2012 will be "New Jersey" Week. That is the week that many NJ kids are out of school for the teacher's convention and the state moves south to Florida. Both cruises are going to have extra kids, but if the explorer is for 11 days that is likely to be longer than most kids breaks. My guess is that there will be more NJ kids on the Allure. Also, Historically, the flights to florida will be more expensive that weekend than normal.

Archived