First Cruise - Pricing?

Joeychgo

Hey all --

We want to go on our first cruise sometime Jan / Feb. (Carribbean)

I realize there is no hard and fast answer on this, but im relying on your experience..

Should I just book it now, or is there likely to be special prices coming up soon?

Just from my experience, it's a bit cheaper in January than February. We've done a number of quickie cruises in these two months and the prices tend to go up as you get closer to President's Day weekend/week in February. My hubby works in the travel industry and generally January is a pretty slow month = lower prices.

Hey all --

We want to go on our first cruise sometime Jan / Feb. (Carribbean)

I realize there is no hard and fast answer on this, but im relying on your experience..

Should I just book it now, or is there likely to be special prices coming up soon?

If you mean Jan/Feb 2012 then I'd book now. You should be able to get great deals assuming there's any cabins left for the cruise you want (If your schedule is flexable that'll work to your benefit). If you're talking about Jan/Feb 2013 then I'd say shop around until you find a price you're comfortable with that way you can ensure getting the dates and cabin that work best for you. If the price drops before final payment is due you can get that discount anyway.

Are you willing to settle for any type of cabin?

The longer you wait -- the better cabins will be gone.

And remember at this late date -- you will be paying off the entire cruise -- not just putting down a deposit.

If you are driving to the port -- you don't have to worry about air. If you are flying -- you may have a hard time finding a last minute flight.

Joeychigo,

I would book today.:)

Check out the online TA for any specials they might be having: OBC, prepaid gratuties etc. After you book the cruise, you will need to find airfare from Chicago to port. Also fly in a day early, you do not want to miss the sailing due to air delays. Also you need to book a hotel room for one day.

Then figure out what you want to do in the ports. Join your roll call on this site and see what other folks will be doing on your ship for excusions.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Book NOW. I see you live in Chicago, but if you don't set your flights soon, whatever you think you're saving for the cruise, you'll pay for in flights. Plus, I've found flights are really booking up, so you really have to get a move on.

I'd book very soon as well. We tend to book fairly late, usually 1-3 months prior to the cruise, but January is almost here and Feb. not too far off either.

January usually has some of the best prices while Feb. starts to get into spring breaks, when prices go up.

It also makes a difference if you have to fly to a port. Airfare costs often go up dramatically if you are less than two weeks out when you buy. Availability, both of air and cabins, can be an issue as well.

It's almost impossible to know if prices will or won't go down, but one month out is already cutting it very close--most likely you won't see much more of a discount, unless it is absolutely last minute, which doesn't work unless you can drive to the port.

Check online agencies and see where the best deals are--and try using the website that gets quotes from various agents so you can compare (sorry I'm not allowed to mention it, but trying googling compare and cruise and it might come up.)

Book NOW. I see you live in Chicago, but if you don't set your flights soon, whatever you think you're saving for the cruise, you'll pay for in flights. Plus, I've found flights are really booking up, so you really have to get a move on.

Ok - I booked the cruise today -- Royal Caribbean Voyager - Jan 28, 2012 - 7 Days -- New Orleans to Western Caribbean

Airfare is next. Not looking good so far -- (about $350pp)

Thanks for the help....

Joey keep on checking 3-4 times a day on pricing this changes almost on a daily basis, my trip started with Carnival Legend for 768.00 then it went up, not a good sign then it went down to 543.00 then it went down again, to 456.00 then I finally saw it 3 months prior to my final payment in July of 2009 to 321.00 so you can get price breaks keep on searching for your cruise prices to drop, if you do not tell them they will not tell you that the prices have dropped... do your homework and tell your agent that is not a carnival rep that you want the discount and the price decrease. once you pay your entire trip payment there is nothign that they can do for you. b 4 you pay the balance then you can gripe and get a lower trip... but you must go on carnival website 9am... 12pm... 3 pm and even at night 9 pm and 11 pm.. check out your room if you are balcony lets say... check the prices, if you see that they went up so be it if it goes down then you got tthe right to gripe... call and make copies of the prices then post them to your agent right away and say maryloo the price for my cabin at 9pm went from 700.00 to 450.00 post it right away so that the time will be posted in your post, so she can check it out and give you the credit you deserve. if you do not u will not get anything.

good luck

OK - so my question is - should I jsut book now before prices go up or should I wait for a better price / special price?

We dont care if we go in Jan or Feb - The question is when should we book?

Now, now, now. January cruises tend to be less expensive that February cruises. Since January is just a few days away I would book now before others book those great prices/cruises and there is nothing left for you.

Just as an example of a January cruise I booked last minute:

January 2010 - I booked a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Sapphire Princess for $379 per person. It was an obstructed oceanview cabin guarantee. Was upgraded to a full oceanview cabin. How could anyone resist a 7 day cruise on a great cruiseline like Princess for $379?:D

Look at your options now and choose something you might like.

Oops! Sorry I missed the post that stated you already booked. Good luck with your airfare and enjoy your cruise.

I already booked - as I said a few posts ago... :)

Congratulations on booking your first cruise. Warning: cruising is addictive.:D

There is likely a Roll Call (group of other posters on this site going on the same cruise) going for your sail date. I will add the link here for you so you can "talk" to others on the same cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1373807

You might also want to sign up for the Meet and Mingle which is usually held the first sea day; basically it is an onboard gathering whereby people from Cruise Critic get to meet each other; there are usually some logo gear prizes etc.

Have a wonderful cruise and don't forget to join RCL's loyalty program called The Crown and Anchor Society while you are on the cruise or when you get off. Lots of info on the program on RCL's website. It's great.:)

Kathy

Archived