Drinks onboard - quality or watered down

forever cruise

We were on the Med cruise of The Magic in October and the drinks were very very strong. The secret is to make friends with the bartender on the first day and then you will have strong drinks the rest of the cruise.

We were on the valor 3/2011. The drinks were really poor quality and watered down. We're going on the freedom 2/2012. Any chance the drinks will be better? Any recent cruisers and their opinions?

Did you try drinks from all the different bars on the Valor? They were all the same? Usually you can find 1 bar/bartender who makes the strong ones.

We were on the valor 3/2011. The drinks were really poor quality and watered down. We're going on the freedom 2/2012. Any chance the drinks will be better? Any recent cruisers and their opinions?

"Watered down" implies that Carnival adds water to the bottles like many AI's are accused of doing. I'm sure they don't do that. Local bars at home often free pour a double for customers as a courtesy - keeps people coming back. Carnival is more likely to measure an exact single like a typical corporate restaurant does. Not watered down per se...just weaker than the local bars back home.

I've found it varies widely from ship to ship. I think it may depend on management on each ship at a particular time and how strict they are with pours. I've only been on one ship where I wondered if they were actually watering down the bottles. Taste was off on everything and I'm a complete lightweight who gets pretty tipsy off one martini. I suspected something was off when I could have two in a row and never felt a thing.

Other ships they are quite strong. A couple of free rum punches at the farewell party on the Valor last year nearly put us all under the table. I was expecting the usual weak freebie stuff.

I don't think they are watered down, I just think they pour 1 ounce shots.

One of the reasons I stopped ordering JW Black on the rocks and pretty much stopped ordering drinks, period.

Yes, over-tipping and/or making friends with the bar tender helps those shots get bigger, but I think the drink prices are high to begin with.

We've had pretty good luck on our cruises. We usually prefer wine and beer, so you know exactly what you're getting. We have noticed that when we order an Appletini, Jack and Coke, or Bloody Marys at the little bar along the promenade deck (inside) we get strong drinks. Maybe it's because we are chatty with the bartenders and they aren't busy. Who knows. However, those are expensive drinks, so we don't order many of them!

Great answers and tips for sure. I have not purchased a drink on board either on my past 2 cruises. Prices vary around the country for drinks, by me I know of only one place that would/will charge 4-5 for a beer. Many locals don't go, 2 or 3 bucks is more sensible here, so paying more than 5 or more for a beer won't happen for me on board. I also get a BV Bottle ( rum- I drink it straight up), this bottle as well as my wine I can carry on works for me. For my beloved beer...that's what ports are for :)

Many ports one can get off the beaten path and fine beer for 1-3 a bottle. Of course one can also hit breweries on excursions, in two weeks I cruise again and have Caybrew in Grand Cayman scheduled and Belikin in Belize scheduled for tours...not counting a micro-brewery in Tampa tha day before we ship out.

I don't think they are watered down, I just think they pour 1 ounce shots.

One of the reasons I stopped ordering JW Black on the rocks and pretty much stopped ordering drinks, period.

Yes, over-tipping and/or making friends with the bar tender helps those shots get bigger, but I think the drink prices are high to begin with.

Agreed

It really does depend on the bartender in my experience. In the MDR very watered down, had no detectable alcohol.

At the Fun Farewell party people were getting Long Island ice teas...very strong!

One person I get familiar with on the first night is the cocktail waiter in our section of the MDR and make sure he/she knows my preference. After that, they are always at our table within minutes of us being seated every evening with my usual pre-dinner cocktail, very generously poured. And of course I take good care of that person on the last night with a likewise generous tip. ;)

Kroozers is also probably correct: I seriously doubt the liquor bottles are being cut with water but rather the bartender is being precise and only pouring 1 ounce and nothing extra.

One person I get familiar with on the first night is the cocktail waiter in our section of the MDR and make sure he/she knows my preference. After that, they are always at our table within minutes of us being seated every evening with my usual pre-dinner cocktail, very generously poured. And of course I take good care of that person on the last night with a likewise generous tip. ;)

I do the same thing and have to agree alot of times it will be a double pour if im doin my JD

to the OP the last time I was on the Valor the bartender @ one of the bars would actually put a floater on my DOD's

The only weak drinks I have had on Carnival is during the past guest party. When I order from a bar "including the drink of the day" they are usually pretty strong. I have had some DoD's that were not as potent but I can feel it in my toes before the next one is ordered I assure you.

I often order a double jack & coke which comes in a tall glass and is very strong - almost undrinkable but I always manage.:p They are pricey at $12 but very good and strong. I usually only need 2 of those and I'm good for the whole night.

I've never found the drinks on any Carnival cruise to be "watered down." They've always been to my taste and certainly gave me the "buzz" I expected. Then again, I'm not sure of your idea of "poor quality and watered down." Judging by most of the responses to your OP, I'd say your assertion might be a little on the subjective side.

Not my experience at all - I've watched many times as 2 ozs. and sometimes more were poured into my glass, without my having to give anyone an extra tip, no matter which ship I was on.

Good luck!

I can assure you, I've NEVER had a watered down drink on any of my Carnival cruises. The daily specials are all good and the special drinks (Cruiser Classics) will flat out get you drunk quick. I almost had to send one Mai Tia back because it was TOO strong......almost ;)