What to do about the hour?

Ubarrow

Having just completed our 1st Eastward T/A (Have done 2 Westward) we were surprised to hear that "in the olden days" the clock was advanced three times a day by 20 minutes a time. Now of course it's an hour each night for 5 nights.

We found it pretty tiring and others made the same point. Can't avoid it of course, but we heard someone make the suggestion that it might be better to advance the time at midday.

The idea is growing on me. What do others think?

Surely 20 minutes at a time would cause endless confusion - I can't see that ever being a good idea.

Doing it at midday would also cause consternation as well.

It's much better to do it at midnight. Plus, when you get back to your cabin at night, I found that the TV was always on and displaying a reminder about the hour, which I thought was a very good idea.

Having just completed our 1st Eastward T/A (Have done 2 Westward) we were surprised to hear that "in the olden days" the clock was advanced three times a day by 20 minutes a time. Now of course it's an hour each night for 5 nights.

We found it pretty tiring and others made the same point. Can't avoid it of course, but we heard someone make the suggestion that it might be better to advance the time at midday.

The idea is growing on me. What do others think?

It didn't bother me one way or the other. Still beats the heck out of flying!

:D

J

Pretty tiring? Not being rude, but in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, where is anyone going? Sleep in an hour later, or take a couple of 20 minute naps. Tiring? (lol)

Some people just do not understand how tiring it can be checking quality on each of the bars each day.:eek:

Well, how about changing all 5 hours at once?! Maybe just before you dock in Southampton. that way, you have a nightcap in the Commodore Club, have some breakfast and walk off the ship! I'm sure we'd all be a sight for the Southampton terminal staff!

I did HAL Rotterdam's Eastbound "Classic Transatlantic" last summer. They had a couple of 22-hour days, changing the clocks an hour at midnight and again at noon. I enjoyed that as it kept the day and night somewhat in proportion.

Roy

• 3 months later...
Well, how about changing all 5 hours at once?! Maybe just before you dock in Southampton. that way, you have a nightcap in the Commodore Club, have some breakfast and walk off the ship! I'm sure we'd all be a sight for the Southampton terminal staff!

That's the best idea I've heard yet...but I say do it as soon as you leave New York, and everybody has an all night party as a send off.

we were surprised to hear that "in the olden days" the clock was advanced three times a day by 20 minutes a time. Now of course it's an hour each night for 5 nights.

Cunard, and the other lines, have used many ways of allowing for the time change. The first time I crossed with them you lost two hours at both the beginning and end of the voyage and one in the middle; on another occasion you lost an hour each night (that's when a crossing was only five nights). Losing hours is never easy - you're far better to go the other way and have 25 hour days! :)

I like the all at once/all night party idea:eek: but, the idea of the time change is, of course, to keep the hours somewhat in sync with the sun as you travel across the globe. The all at once idea would have the sun rising at 2am. WAY too early after closing the Commodore Club.:D

I like the all at once/all night party idea:eek: but, the idea of the time change is, of course, to keep the hours somewhat in sync with the sun as you travel across the globe. The all at once idea would have the sun rising at 2am. WAY too early after closing the Commodore Club.:D

Hahaha actually if you pushed the clocks ahead 5 hours at departure from New York (5pm-10pm), the sun would rise around 11AM boat time the next morning (6AM EST)

Hahaha actually if you pushed the clocks ahead 5 hours at departure from New York (5pm-10pm), the sun would rise around 11AM boat time the next morning (6AM EST)

Yes, either direction would probably produce some seriously hungover confused passengers.:eek:

I travelled on the French Line in the 70s and they changed the clock 15 minutes, every six hours. That was a disaster as far as I was I concerned. You'd be late for things by 15 minutes or a half hour. The best is to honor the real time zones and change 1 hour in the middle of the night where warranted.

Just got off Azamara eastbound and they advanced at noon. The passengers were divided on it. I actually liked it. It compressed breakfast and lunch I found but hey on a cruise that wasn't so bad. It seemed to keep dinner, evening and the next morning more in perspective.

Rob

I absolutely hate eastbound mid-day hour changes. In encountered this mid-day (as opposed to overnight) system for the first time on an RCCL trans-atlantic. I felt like I was getting gyped out of any hour of activities and buffet-time.

Archived