Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

...Costa expressly said that if people had higher losses than that, they could decline this offer and seek to claim their actual losses...

Yes, though plaintiffs wouldn't require Costa's permission to do that and Costa offered nothing there.

Your point is well taken, but I saw an interview with one of the Costa officials involved (France24 is doing a good job here) and the offer came out as a highly recommended hard sell. (Take us to court and you may get nothing with lawyer fees sort of thing.) It isn't my impression it is a neutral or benevolent offer. I wouldn't expect one.

Truly it is just my impression and not being a lawyer...

Smooth sailing...

...I don't know how compensation is assessed in Italy, but I can say this about English law: If you have suffered no injury, the compensation you'd be awarded for the fear you felt during the incident is absolutely zero.

In the Canadian system, my understanding is you can be compensated but there is a cap on it which gets periodically adjusted. So, the 1 million dollar settlements you see in the United States you won't see north of the border.

I am certain for Americans, lawyers will be trying to get something going in Miami.

There are lawyers who read these threads and may clarify if they wish.

Smooth sailing...

Costa Details Offer to Passengers aboard Costa Concordia

Yesterday, Costa Crociere held discussions with consumer groups to determine a fair compensation to those passengers who were aboard Costa Concordia on January 13 who were not injured. The line has just released details of that offer which are in the press release republished below.....

Just my $.02 here, but this is one heck of a lot more than the original $14,000 + that we have been reading the last couple of days. This seems to be a fair and possibly equitable compensation. It also includes medical and future medical/psychological treatments....

http://cnd-cruiseblogger.blogspot.com/2012/01/costa-details-offer-to-passengers.html

Joanie

I'm pretty sure diamonds and gold don't depreciate. :D

I thought so until about two years ago. I took my "good" jewelry to be re-appraised. The vast majority of the diamond stuff was worth considerably less than the last appraisel which was roughly 10 years prior. When I questioned this, I was told that small diamonds are worth less than they had been because everyone now wants at least a one carat stone. The gold jewelry had come up in value, but the diamond jewelry had gone significantly down. (I know this is somewhat off-topic, but does relate to insurance settlements.)

I just heard that they recovered the body of a woman in a cabin.

Taking the fuel oil off the ship has been suspended due to bad weather.

They have indeed KK - that now brings the death toll to 17. Unfortunately, they are now saying that with no hope for any survivors, all the focus is on the salvage and the oil removal operation.

So sad. Unnecessary death and environmental risk for no valid reason:mad:

Wow - it's going to take 28 days to empty those fuel tanks :eek:

Costa is taking bids on the ship whether to move or cut up and that could take 2 months and removal of the ship could take up to 10 months :eek:

The poor islanders are getting upset - tourism is their only livelihood and with that long a time frame (no boats are allowed near the ship) they are very much afraid of how they are going to make a living http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g-rMKhVTLt1WHPUf-TXM6Sx3J0Gw?docId=18b06bc688774d42984b361c1a03a0f0

and video animation of what happened is here. (subject of course until the black box if fully examined) but some very revealing comments if you are interested.

Here is the link http://gcaptain.com/gcaptains-john-konrad-narrates-the-final-maneuvers-of-the-costa-concordia-video/?37941

Great minds think alike Kazu!

They might, especially if she starts leaking fuel and other nasties.

Not just the fuel - they make their living off tourism - if no one can come near the ship - that's going to cut down on their livelihood. :D They have no other means of income on this island from what I read :eek:

Wow - it's going to take 28 days to empty those fuel tanks :eek:

Costa is taking bids on the ship whether to move or cut up and that could take 2 months and removal of the ship could take up to 10 months :eek:

The poor islanders are getting upset - tourism is their only livelihood and with that long a time frame (no boats are allowed near the ship) they are very much afraid of how they are going to make a living http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g-rMKhVTLt1WHPUf-TXM6Sx3J0Gw?docId=18b06bc688774d42984b361c1a03a0f0

Sounds to me as if Titan Salvage has said to Hades with the salvaging of the ship.......

Joanie

Sounds to me as if Titan Salvage has said to Hades with the salvaging of the ship.......

Joanie

IIRC Titan (through Smit International) has the contract to remove the fuel. The actual salvage of the hull would be a different contract which they, along with the other major salvors, will have to bid for.

Have's a heroine from the crew. She went down with the ship.

Costa Concordia victim died after she gave life jacket to elderly man

A young Peruvian waitress whose body was recovered from the shipwrecked Costa Concordia off the Tuscan island of Giglio has been hailed a heroine

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9047494/Costa-Concordia-victim-died-after-she-gave-life-jacket-to-elderly-man.html

I see that Carnival/Costa has been sued in Miami and Chicago. I don't know what the law is with respect to this but newsletters published by firms specializing in maritime law seem confident enough about it.

This is interesting perhaps as there seems to be a perception that pax will be able to seek considerably more damages than if they were restricted to filing their claims through Italian courts.

Again, time will tell.

smooth sailing...

Have's a heroine from the crew. She went down with the ship.

Costa Concordia victim died after she gave life jacket to elderly man

A young Peruvian waitress whose body was recovered from the shipwrecked Costa Concordia off the Tuscan island of Giglio has been hailed a heroine

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9047494/Costa-Concordia-victim-died-after-she-gave-life-jacket-to-elderly-man.html

What a brave soul, good to hear stories of the crew doing their duty.

What a brave soul, good to hear stories of the crew doing their duty.

This is the second crew member who has shown heroism that I have heard about. It is unfortunate that both of them had to die. It just doesn't seem right somehow.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/01/carnival-bookings-costa-concordia-accident/616043/1

The world's largest cruise company today revealed that bookings have dropped significantly in the wake of the Costa Concordia disaster.

Industry giant Carnival Corp., the parent company of 10 major cruise brands including Costa, Carnival, Princess and Holland America, said in a regulatory filing that bookings at the non-Costa brands declined "in the mid-teens," percentage-wise, in the 12 days after the accident as compared to the same period a year ago.

Archived