"LIVE" From the Allure of the Seas - 15 - 22 January 2012

Thank you Trainman, great pictures and report again today! :) Glad you all liked the Captain Hook's Pirate ship! That looks something I might want to book when we go to Allure's Western route in Dec.

Have fun in Rita's Cantinas Festival tonight!

OMG I am loving this. My husband returned from a two year deployment two days ago. We are scheduled for B2B feb 5th. We just booked the Chefs table after seeing your pics and reviews. OMG we are sooo thrilled. Thank you so much for taking time from your wonderful vacation to give us your trip highlights, tips, and photographs!

Trainman, do you know if RCI ships have honey packets onboard? My DD dips her chicken nuggest in honey and asked me if we were going to bring some with us on our upcoming Freedom cruise. :confused:

There should definitely be honey on board all RCI ships. My mother LOVES honey and never has any problem finding any :)

I think I remember discussing this with you on one of your other LIVE threads. (Oasis maybe?) You had photos and asked us all what we thought that pirate ship was all about. At the time I posted that I thought it was an attraction, as I'd seen similar in Florida.

Glad you got to try it this go round and that it was fun for you!:D

I wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying "cruising with you". Thanks for all the pictures and information. I finally understand what a "backwards" cabin is - I kept seeing the term. Looks like the pirate ship was a lot of fun.

I have never seen "Kid Size" lounge chairs on an RCI ship before but here they are!

DSCN4337.jpg

So loving that you are thinking of us that have kids......mine are super well behaved and pumped for our first sailing on April 15th!.......thanks for all the posts and pics!!

Jim, loving your report, as usual. You interested me in the Captain Hook boat on your last trip, and after having looked it up, I was hooked! You mentioned that you were going to do the trip in January, so I've been waiting on you to answer one important question before we book.

Is this boat accessible to wheelchairs? Knowing that Judith and yourself use walkers, I thought you'd be the perfect person to comment on the maneuverability of the boarding gangplank, passenger's show and eating areas, etc. Would you recommend taking a wheelchair on this excursion? Or is this trip best left to those who can walk (mobility aids not withstanding)?

Your first-hand experience will probably be the deciding factor for us to book this or not. Thanks.

Jim, loving your report, as usual. You interested me in the Captain Hook boat on your last trip, and after having looked it up, I was hooked! You mentioned that you were going to do the trip in January, so I've been waiting on you to answer one important question before we book.

Is this boat accessible to wheelchairs? Knowing that Judith and yourself use walkers, I thought you'd be the perfect person to comment on the maneuverability of the boarding gangplank, passenger's show and eating areas, etc. Would you recommend taking a wheelchair on this excursion? Or is this trip best left to those who can walk (mobility aids not withstanding)?

Your first-hand experience will probably be the deciding factor for us to book this or not. Thanks.

The easy answer to wheel chair accessibility on Captain Hook's Pirate Ship is "NO!"

The ship is not designed for wheel chair access!

Having said that, I would suggest you go ahead and book the cruise and see what happens.

The one thing you don't say is if the person in the wheel chair can walk at all!

The gangway has one step up to get on and four or five steps to get off the gangway and down to the main deck. I am confident that the crew would be willing and able to pick up the wheel chair and set it on the gangway and then lift it down to the main deck. This could be done.

The next problem is that the buffet lunch is one deck below the main deck with narrow and steep stairs leading down to it. Again, I am confident that the crew would be willing to bring plates of food up to the main deck for you.

The last problem is that the bath rooms are also one deck below the main deck down a curving narrow stairway and the bathroom stalls are very small and have no handicapped bars in them. They cannot accommodate a wheelchair and there is no way to get the wheelchair down the stairs.

So if your handicapped person has the ability to walk short distances and go up one step and down four or five, than it would be easy.

The crew would go out of their way to accommodate you.

I suggest you call or email them and discuss it with them.

http://www.capitanhook.com/jamaica/index.html

Thursday - Day 5 - At Sea - Somewhere In The Caribbean

Good morning everyone!

I slept late this morning and Judith is still asleep. Rev is wearing us out. SHe had more energy than both of us put together.

Not much of a morning photo today. I shot this looking aft from our Balcony.

DSCN4514.jpg

A Sea Day today so I will be exploring the ship and shooting photos.

I will post up the really good ones but most will have to wait until I get home. I am uploading the photos to my PhotoBucket account and they are sorted by day so you should be able to view them easily once I get them all uploaded.

The Ship's Internet system is unstable and only working about half of the time.

More later...

Last night we had dinner at the Rita's Cantina Festival. It is a fixed menu at a fixed price. There was plenty of food and it was all good! The price also included three (3) Margaritas.

We were with a large group from our CC Roll Call thread. Great people and we had a great time!

Decorum and fear of a lifetime ban from Cruise Critic prohibits me from posting some of the photos of the dance and limbo contests but here are a few of the ones that are safe to post.

DSCN4498.jpg

DSCN4488.jpg

DSCN4489.jpg

DSCN4509.jpg

Everyone had a great time.

Rita's Festival is something that can best be enjoyed as part of a large group of good friends.

Archived