"LIVE" From the Allure of the Seas - 15 - 22 January 2012

Our friend Rev had invited us to join her in Cabana W-4 on Barefoot Beach.

"W" means "Built over the water" and there are four of them numbered 1 - 4 left to right looking ashore from the ship.

We were in the right cabana in the photo below.

DSCN4338.jpg

This area is dedicated to Suite Guests and was pretty nice with a nice staff to take car of everyone.

I swam in the Caribbean (the water was cold) but Judith did not!

Someone said the water was 71 degrees. (I keep my pool on 90)

DSCN4341.jpg

DSCN4339.jpg

Here are a few more photos...

DSCN4351.jpg

DSCN4349.jpg

DSCN4343.jpg

The water front cabanas are nice but on hot sunny days in the afternoon sun they are like an oven if there is no breeze.

Barefoot Beach has its own small lunch buffet but it seems to have a limited selection compared to the larger buffets. There is a nice shady area with tables to eat on with chairs totally unsuited for sitting up and eating.

DSCN4356.jpg

Lunch was good but RCI has never figured a way to have hamburger or hotdog rolls seem fresh. They always seem dry!

Judith

DSCN4353.jpg

Trainman

DSCN4354.jpg

It was blustery all day but the Barefoot Beach area was sheltered from the wind. In the late morning storm clouds started rolling in and it looked like it would pour rain any minute but it never did.

Here are two shoots of the beach under the Zip Line which show the surf and the wind.

DSCN4357.jpg

DSCN4358.jpg

After lunch it got dark again and looked like it was going to rain so just about everyone decided to leave at once. There were long lines to get to the Security Check Point.

DSCN4364.jpg

DSCN4365.jpg

I finally got Judith and I rides in the Haitian Powered Wheel Chairs. I tipped them each $3 and I have no clue if that is too high or two low.

DSCN4366.jpg

Research Assistance Request

I was telling Judith this morning that about a year or so ago there was talk of RCI developing an Excursion to an old Fort near Labadee high up on a mountain top. I recall photos posted of piles of cannon balls, old cannons, and a gigantic fort and talk of a bus ride to the area then a horse back ride up to the fort.

If anyone remembers this, I would appreciate it if you could post a few links to the story and photos.

Thanks...

Many years ago, in the Seventies, we took cruises on NCL that stopped at Cap Haitian and we took excursions to the Citadelle. Rode donkeys up to the old fort which is very impressive. Hopefully RCI will resume this excursion. It is an outstanding place to visit.

It's supposed to be upgraded buffet for Barefoot Beach and cabana guests. You won't see the shirmp on the skewer at the other buffet. And I think we also had steak. That's the good news-the bad news is the steak was like shoe leather and the shrimp wasn't good either. And I have to agree with Trainman-those chairs have got to go! You have to sit up on the edge of your seat so you can eat your food from the table. How about just some plain old chairs? Those chairs they have there are for lounging not eating!

Trainman thanks for your pics and comments!

I remember watching a show recently on this fort. They mentioned a guy who put all his money into building a restaurant (it was under construction in the show) near the fort and trying to get the road built for tourists to be able to visit it. The government has the road on it's "List of things to do" but for many reasons, it was still on the back burner.

The guy was talking about how the ability to get people to the fort would greatly improve the economy for the area. He literally is banking on it.

Dorothy

Loving the real time review!! I thought RCCL had an upgraded buffet on barefoot beach.

It looked like shrimp kabobs on Trainman's dish. They don't serve shrimp at the regular buffets........usually, hot dogs, burgers, chicken or ribs.

Looking forward to more pictures Trainman. Thanks for sharing with us.

Patty

I have heard lots of complaints about the Windjammer being packed and no tables are available.

The secret to resolving this problem is walking up to some total strangers sitting at a table with open chairs and asking if you can join them. The reality is that most diners are in pairs (Two People) and they mostly sit at tables for four or six.

There are always empty seats but not always empty tables!

I have never:

- Been turned down when I asked politely

- Ended up dining with an Axe Murderer

I like your approach! It's a great way to meet new people.

Eileen

It's supposed to be upgraded buffet for Barefoot Beach and cabana guests. You won't see the shirmp on the skewer at the other buffet. And I think we also had steak. That's the good news-the bad news is the steak was like shoe leather and the shrimp wasn't good either. And I have to agree with Trainman-those chairs have got to go! You have to sit up on the edge of your seat so you can eat your food from the table. How about just some plain old chairs? Those chairs they have there are for lounging not eating!

Trainman thanks for your pics and comments!

the buffet does have burgers, hot dogs, chicken, ribs, shrimp, steak, prime rib and probably something i am missing...fish perhaps...plus fruit and cookies, salads and potatoes of some sort....

the buffet does have burgers, hot dogs, chicken, ribs, shrimp, steak, prime rib and probably something i am missing...fish perhaps...plus fruit and cookies, salads and potatoes of some sort....

Meg, next time I'm on a ship with you and we're in Labadee can you take me to your buffet as a guest? :D:D:D Please............... LOL

Patty

Archived