Do travel agencies not like to sell Carnival?

S.S.Oceanlover

Our first cruise was with Celebrity. For our second, I found an itinerary I liked on Carnival. Went to a travel agency that only did cruises. Walked in the door, said I wanted to book a Carnival cruise, and was told, "Oh...you won't like them". What the heck? These people didn't know anything about me, but within 5 seconds had decided that I wouldn't like Carnival. I went home, got on Carnival's website, and booked it myself. Just booked our 10th (6th on Carnival), also online.

I was going to go to the travel show today, but was a little busy. How was the other vendor information.

not much there at all but got some good Aruba information which I'll be putting to good use in 3 weeks. The Home show was across the street and a lacrosse convention there as well.

It was in Hall E upstairs all the way down the hall.

Bill

I'm an agent and I love selling Carnival. In fact 95% of my sales is with Carnival. Like previous posters have mentioned Carnival has done away with much of its written material and probably one of the reasons that you did not see them represented as well at the travel show. I also don't mind when I client books ES rate, yes it might be a little work involved and I might loose a little of my commission but so what, if I can help a client get the best deal available chances are they will be repeat clients. I even search periodically for that lower fare ... love to surprise them and say guess what I got you a price drop when they were not anticipating anything.

Although I cant imagine a TA turning anyone away that wants to book a Carnival cruise, I can see a TA wanting the first time cruiser to really fall in love with Cruising and Carnival can be unpredictable. The lack of literature is hard for a TA too. People still love to browse brochures. I dont think the reason the TA's dislike early saver is the lower commission. I think that its no matter how many times they explain the fare AND put it in writing, they STILL have an upset client when they decide to cancel or make a change... Its the nature of the beast..

Although I cant imagine a TA turning anyone away that wants to book a Carnival cruise
Believe it.

A TA that I used to use exclusively stopped selling Carnival over ten years ago. I haven't given them any business, cruise or otherwise, since.

They are a dying breed, you just do not need them anymore. And if CCL can reduce expenses by cutting out TAs, that's good for the bottom line. Good for Carnival, good for me.

I'm a TA as well, and I love booking with Carnival ! Maybe it's because Carnival is my personal favorite cruise line, and I have a good relationship with my reps there, but I've never had a problem. Carnival doesn't allow discounting anymore, but I get a great commission through my agency, which is a large one. So, maybe our commission is higher, not sure. We sell alot of cruises, Carnival is probably 70% of them. And I get alot of perks from them to pass on to my clients, which some of the other lines are a little bit stingy with, in my opinion!

Booking groups with Carnival used to be alot more difficult than with RCCL, that used to be my only complaint...but Carnival has really changed their group booking policies, so I don't know why anyone thinks they are difficult to work with anymore.

I actually think the logistics of booking through their TA site is easier than RCCL or some of the others... but then again, I'm familiar with them and have booked with them for years.

It's a shame so many of you didn't find a great TA to book a Carnival cruise with, because I make sure all my clients (but especially my Carnival clients, since I love Carnival) are very well taken care of ! I book their cruise as if it were my own, looking out for rate drops, trying to get upgrades, and giving them a few drink coupons or photo coupons, etc.

get them info on their ship & all the ports.... all kinds of good stuff!

A good TA should take care of you from start to finish... and there are still some good TA's out there who do that! Hope you keep looking for one if you need one in the future!

My AAA travel agent didnt really want to book this Carnival cruise on the Dream for us. She tried hard to steer us towards RC, Celebrity or other. But RC made us mad (pulled out of our Mexico cruise, with little consideration and we lost money on airfare to change flights, etc), Princess was disappointing, and Celebrity was described for more older crowd (we're in our 30's). I think Carnival Dream is going to be great! Can't wait- can't image it would disappoint after our Princess was so boring.

I will share a funny story with you. It is ONE day before I leave for FLL for my six day cruise on the Freedom. My mom was going to Alaska in July and it was time for her to make the final payment on the cruise. I went with her to the CRUISE ONLY travel agency because someone had to navigate.....

We got there and the TA, a woman around 50ish or so, was the TA on the booking. She was asking my mom questions like is this the first cruise, NO; how many, 3; what cruise lines, all Carnival. That was when the slamming if Carnival went. She said that food, entertainment, ships, blah, blah, blah were not good and RCI was so much better and that Princess and HAL were really good and she really doesn't suggest Carnival to anyone. That was when my mom said that I was leaving the next day for my 7th Carnival cruise and SIXTH in 2.5 years. I said Carnival is great--food, show, ports, ship, crew, everything and since I cruise solo the price is right....I then asked has she gone on Carnival before and that was when she said no. Then I said how would you know how it is if you've never gone....

I did take a course in Travel and Tourism and the ONE thing a TA should never do is tell people what to book and what not to. They are their to advise and if you want Carnival then you show then that...You can offer suggestions and alternatative supplies whose product is similiar--ie NCL or RCI for cruises, but in the end, it is what the customer wants...the TA only advises and books it....

As for brochures--Carnival does still print brochures as I got one last year. I do not like the online brochure cuz I like to look at it on the bus going to work or where I do not have a computer..planning my next cruise is done on a daily basis.......

TA's must find ES rates annoying. I don't book ES but I don't like booking through TA's either, at least not for Carnival. Carnival's website works very well for me.

Carnivals website used to be easier to navigate. I try to avoid it as much as possible

Carnivals website used to be easier to navigate. I try to avoid it as much as possible

Well I can agree it's has it's limitations. A couple of things I don't like about Carnival web booking. It does not readily show you the cabin category. And it does not allow you to search if a certain cabin is available.

As a TA, I'll book Carnival if I think the fit is right--younger couples mainly. I do not like to book them because their reps can be difficult to deal with--especially those on the weekend. I heard they have a high turnover and the new hires start on weekends. I've been put on hold more than once because they have had to look something up in the manual--like soda cards.

The biggest problem for me is no brochures. There are still a few people out there without computers, access to a computeer, and/or want something they can look at and not have to download. Fortunately, these are usually older people who I don't recommend Carnival to anyway. While I try to be accommodating, I am not going to print off the gazillion page e-booklet for them to read which not only has the multi page iron clad contract but some good information in their FAQ's. I end up spending more time with them because they do have questions that I need to address.

Those without computer access means I have to do the pre-booking for them and then hope the USPS doesn't lose them. This means getting passport information, emergency contact information--again time consuming. This, also, means if they don't have computer access, I have to "lie" and check they have agreed to the contract. Therefore, I do have to print off the contract and have them sign it to CMA giving and depending on more service from USPS since most of my clients are not in my area.

I have, also, found their site difficult to work with if I want deck plans to make sure a cabin I am booking is not under the galley, disco, etc. Ironically I usually just look at the deck plans on another travel site to get that information.

Tucker in Texas

DW's (70 something) aunt asked us why we book on Carnival, since their TA told them that Carnival is only a "Party Boat" or a "Booze Cruise"... we quickly corrected the misconception that she was given by her TA.

DW and I are NOT drinkers, but we still enjoy cruising on Carnival:rolleyes:. While on board we have seen some folks that really enjoy their alcohol (possibly more than they should have:o), we have seen many families, many newly weds, and MANY older folks as well. There are ALL TYPES of people that cruise on carnival ships.

Now they (the aunt and uncle) are looking at possibly booking their next cruise with Carnival:)... (their previous cruises have all been on Royal or Princess).

That particular TA likes to only sell "high priced / high end" cruises... probably cause they get more commission for higher priced cruises...

3% of $600.00 or 3% of $900.00 - which would you prefer to get paid??? :eek:

I will share a funny story with you. It is ONE day before I leave for FLL for my six day cruise on the Freedom. My mom was going to Alaska in July and it was time for her to make the final payment on the cruise. I went with her to the CRUISE ONLY travel agency because someone had to navigate.....

We got there and the TA, a woman around 50ish or so, was the TA on the booking. She was asking my mom questions like is this the first cruise, NO; how many, 3; what cruise lines, all Carnival. That was when the slamming if Carnival went. She said that food, entertainment, ships, blah, blah, blah were not good and RCI was so much better and that Princess and HAL were really good and she really doesn't suggest Carnival to anyone. That was when my mom said that I was leaving the next day for my 7th Carnival cruise and SIXTH in 2.5 years. I said Carnival is great--food, show, ports, ship, crew, everything and since I cruise solo the price is right....I then asked has she gone on Carnival before and that was when she said no. Then I said how would you know how it is if you've never gone....

Wow nothing like a TA who badmouths a company she has no experience with.icon13.gif

• 5 months later...
From Carnival's perspective, why not? (NOT THAT I AGREE WITH THIS).

To Carnival if they were to eliminate the TA, they would be able to keep the commission for themselves. The commission is pretty high. The airlines successfully did this years ago.

As a matter of fact, in the UK, Carnival cut TA commissions ALOT to a flat 5%. They haven't done that in the US - yet. For many agents that would be well over a 65% cut in commission.

The new policies are for a reason: to get more people to book direct with Carnival and thus stiff TA's of 100% of their commission! :eek:

I just came back from a travel show at the Philadelphia Convention Center and of all the travel agencies there only one even had any info for Carnival.

Saw plenty of other literature for all other cruise lines.

Does Carnival pay less comissions or are their prices so low that the agencies prefer to sell other lines like RCI because they'll make more on comissions?

Just wondering...

Bill

they're now too embarrassed.

Not sure, but I do know that my aunt is a travel agent and we were just recently having a conversation about this very thing. She noted that Carnival can be difficult to work with at times as they have very specific restrictions on some things. She told me that she would recommend a different cruiseline other than Carnival.

That is what my TA tells me all the time.

Recently I was a little shocked when I called my TA of 15+ years to book my Carnival cruise. She no longer offers CCL cruises through her agency. She had a problem with several clients calling CCL after they booked with her company to price compare. These clients reported back to her that CCL had made them a better offer if they went direct with Carnival (after CCL asked them what price they were quoted by the TA).

Problem was, my TA said she was charging the CCL stated price. This happened repeatidly so she decided to break ties with Carnival after many years of working with them.

I was sad to hear this because she is a great TA! I ended up calling CCL direct for our 2013 cruise. While the booking process went smoothly with the Carnival PVP, I still miss turning everything over to our trusted TA.

Will miss the nice 'Thank You' gifts my TA always gave.:(

With the new Carnival policies, I bet now they really don't want to sell this line!!

If I was a travel agent I now get to keep all the commission money instead of rebating.

Maybe with the bookings you lose because you can't offer anything and now getting to keep 100% of the commission you might still make the same amount of money.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived