That "something special" for your cabin steward

whizkidcat

We have always had wonderful service on our prior cruises and we are wondering about giving our cabin steward something special. :)

For those of you who have sailed before/often, what are some items that crew members might be "dying" for that we can bring from home as a gift for them?

There have been numerous (dare I say hundreds?) of threads on CC about this subject and the overwhelming majority (myself included) agree that cash is king. Crew have very little personal space in which to store their belongings. There is no one thing that is guaranteed to be appreciated by any crew member except extra money for them to spend as they wish.

Agree - but also support a gift idea as well. When we did a tour of one of the ships, the woman conducting the tour showed us the computer room where the crew can go online and they pay by the minute. She said that they get excited about what would seem like us to be the smallest thing because they are at sea all the time. She said that when one of the crew or some of the group can get away from the ship to say a Walmart or CVS or something everyone gets excited to see the things they bought. She said that we'd be surprised how much excitement can come from a hair clip or new shampoo or lotion someone got.... She also said that sometimes they overbuy or go crazy online on the Internet (every time they come back into their home port (the ship's that is) they get their mail deliveries). So then they have fun swapping or trading for different things others have.

A hair clip may be nice and have a little exitement. But nothing beats CASH as a thank you. That is why they are on board in the first place...

After that...a great write up. What you think of as 'special' may not be so special to your steward.

Celebrity did a mid voyage comment card on our Oct Med. cruise. We made a point of singling out our fantastic waiter. He later told us he was thrilled...the Hotel Manager personally thanked him and they posted the comment on the staff bulletin board. Hopefully he got some extra bennies from this. It was well deserved.

Definitely pick up some of those Attention to Detail cards at Guest Relations and do an individual one for each person who makes your cruise special. They do get shared with the crew and the managers and I know of an assistant waiter who got promoted because of all the cards our group filled out on him.

And an extra tip in cash! These folks don't get paid much and most of them are working their butts off to make sure you have a great vacation.

I also agree cash is king,but on our last 6 cruises to Bermuda we gave cash and Phone cards to our cabin steward and waiters...Late at night they would call home and really like the cards..Also we would see them at night fishing with line with a hook at the end and a cork for a float..So on one cruise when we were leaving,I gave my cabin steward my fishing pole...It was like i gave him a million dollars...He was so greatful..They work very very hard for their money and it really pisses me off when I see people talking to them like crap...Oh well ,just my 2 cents..:)

I also agree cash is king,but on our last 6 cruises to Bermuda we gave cash and Phone cards to our cabin steward and waiters...Late at night they would call home and really like the cards..Also we would see them at night fishing with line with a hook at the end and a cork for a float..So on one cruise when we were leaving,I gave my cabin steward my fishing pole...It was like i gave him a million dollars...He was so greatful..They work very very hard for their money and it really pisses me off when I see people talking to them like crap...Oh well ,just my 2 cents..:)

I Love, Love, Love This! :D

We are first time cruisers and rather naive about cruise tipping policies. We pre-paid our tips for our upcoming cruise since we chose select dining. What is a suggested amount for an "extra" cash tip for our cabin steward? We do want to tip him/her appropriately.

Thanks!

Service people really appreciate cash.

If you put yourself in their position, you can see why: working for peanuts, doing difficult work, sometimes serving deadbeats (NOT implying anyone on this thread!) who can always rationalize why they shouldn't tip, or who undertip. What do you think you would most appreciate? Cash is immediate pay. They are cleaning our toilets and changing our dirty linens and towels because they NEED a salary. Cash increases their salary. Gifts do not.

The lower someone is on the totem pole, the more likely you will be remembered FONDLY for your gift of cash.

I've been there (not on board, but in land based service jobs), so I can attest to this. Also, every other service worker I've talked with agrees.

Bottom line: The poorer you are, the more a gift of cash means to you.

As previous posters have stated, phone cards (which are like cash) and fishing equipment to a person who fishes - these are very thoughtful gifts tailored to a specific person's desires/needs.

We are first time cruisers and rather naive about cruise tipping policies. We pre-paid our tips for our upcoming cruise since we chose select dining. What is a suggested amount for an "extra" cash tip for our cabin steward? We do want to tip him/her appropriately.

Thanks!

Your gratuities will cover your cabin steward and his assistant. If you believe they gave you excellent service I think you could start with an extra $10 each and go up from there based on service and your pocketbook. They will appreciate you for the effort more than the amount in most cases. My last cruise I won $75 in the blackjack tourney and gave it to the cabin stewards and the Martini Bar crew.

Definitely pick up some of those Attention to Detail cards at Guest Relations and do an individual one for each person who makes your cruise special. They do get shared with the crew and the managers and I know of an assistant waiter who got promoted because of all the cards our group filled out on him.

And an extra tip in cash! These folks don't get paid much and most of them are working their butts off to make sure you have a great vacation.

I couldn't agree more. If you want to do something that "really counts" praise the service you've received on an Attention to Detail card and name names.

Plus, the extra cash, personally handed to the service person, is a wonderful and much appreciated gesture.

And I have to comment about the crew picking things up ashore. We've been right in the middle of this. Many years ago (2002, in fact — my, how time flies!) we were sailing Hawaii aboard Summit. On our stop in Nawiliwili our tour guide told us the best place for a broad selection of Hawaiian products was Wal-Mart. Half in disbelief, we nevertheless went there and were pleasantly surprised at the huge section they had. We bought several things, mostly Hawaii produced snacks, and even packaged sections of sugar cane.

There was a shuttle bus taking folk back to the pier. The most fun was finding ourselves among a large number of crew members whose arms were so full of toiletries supplies, snacks, electronic gadgets and such that we ended up hauling some of their things back to the ship for them. One of them was so over-the-top with joy at finding a hot deal on a boom box he couldn't stop grinning and holding up his purchase to show other crew. It was one of the best shopping trips we ever made onshore.

CM

Money.

And good referrals.

If they want phone cards or lotion they will buy it with that cash. In the variety they prefer.

The fishing pole is a fun story and sounds like it was a good gift for that person, but in general when you are in staff quarters and have very little extra room (been there done that, working in a remote Sierra lodge) "stuff" is NOT your friend...

We have always had wonderful service on our prior cruises and we are wondering about giving our cabin steward something special. :)

For those of you who have sailed before/often, what are some items that crew members might be "dying" for that we can bring from home as a gift for them?

A Big Screen TV. :rolleyes:

TooBigTv.jpg

Oh I agree! I have seen staff get treated so badly by passengers!

While the crew make the passengers feel like Royalty, the passengers treat them like "peasants" or worse!

Saying Thank you is a kind gesture but we really want to "show" our appreciation! I had heard that peanut butter was hard to come by so I thought maybe there are other things they would really appreciate because even if they had the "cash" they wouldn't be able to get what they really want.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Thanks!

I'm curious too. I gave $20 to the main attendant and $10 to his assistant. The first day I thought I'd order room service breakfast. I was shocked when it was delivered by my room steward who the previous day had worked into the night. That was the last time I ordered room service.

I also tipped a couple girls in Cafe de Bianco $10 because they visited with me when I spent time there several times a day. It was appreciated since I traveled solo.

A hair clip may be nice and have a little exitement. But nothing beats CASH as a thank you. That is why they are on board in the first place...

After that...a great write up. What you think of as 'special' may not be so special to your steward.

Celebrity did a mid voyage comment card on our Oct Med. cruise. We made a point of singling out our fantastic waiter. He later told us he was thrilled...the Hotel Manager personally thanked him and they posted the comment on the staff bulletin board. Hopefully he got some extra bennies from this. It was well deserved.

On one cruise, the waiter told us that favorable comments often resulted in promotions (And vice-versa!) and that his assistant waiter was qualified to be a full waiter (With which we agreed). The last night when we gave them the tip envelopes (A while back) I told them we had recommended the assit. waiter for a full waiter's job. His smile told us he was happier than with just money. Fooled him, we tipped him the same as the waiter (both more than the example given by the Co.), they worked together to make our meals as perfect as posible.

Edit: Hope you have a better room steward than we have had on our last two cruises.

Oh I agree! I have seen staff get treated so badly by passengers!

While the crew make the passengers feel like Royalty, the passengers treat them like "peasants" or worse!

Saying Thank you is a kind gesture but we really want to "show" our appreciation! I had heard that peanut butter was hard to come by so I thought maybe there are other things they would really appreciate because even if they had the "cash" they wouldn't be able to get what they really want.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Food is not a good idea as you don't know allergies or religious restrictions. Many crew practice Halal, which means they are restricted to what they can eat, and you never know about peanut allergies for that crew member or his cabin mates. I've never heard the peanut butter thing as it's always been available on the ship. Plus, if you go out of the box, so to speak, and not take a tour but go around the port area, you'll see the crew members at local stores stocking up on the things they want. Cash, along with a good rating, says it all.

Often when going ashore, we have asked our room stewards if they would like us to pick up something for them.Even if they have part of that day off, many of the crew chooses sleep over going into port.

We have had requests for hard candy, like lifesavers, since they can't chew gum while working, also cigarettes, music CDs, black socks, and a small dufflebag. This was for a lady who was just getting ready to head home and she had purchased many items of clothing for herself and her family.

Archived