Question about bringing items back home

Rainbowfalls

Hello, :)

I am going on my first cruise in December and I was wondering is there any limit to the items you can bring home souvenirs or if I wanted to buy local (going to bahamas) alcohol do I have to do anything like hand them over till I actually disembark or can I keep them in my room?

Most cruise lines will not allow you to bring alcohol onto the ship. They will collect it at the gangway and return it at the end of the cruise.

I didnt think they would allow it back on but I didnt know if they would keep it until the end or just throw it away.

It's only alcohol that won't be allowed back to your room with you. You can bring as many souveniers as you like.....if you go over the "duty-free" amount, you will have to pay the duty (tax)...not a big deal!

It's pretty hard to go over the limit, unless you are buying really expensive things, or copious amounts of booze!

It's only alcohol that won't be allowed back to your room with you. You can bring as many souveniers as you like.....if you go over the "duty-free" amount, you will have to pay the duty (tax)...not a big deal!

It's pretty hard to go over the limit, unless you are buying really expensive things, or copious amounts of booze!

how do I find out the duty free amount?

Here is a link that explains the duty free limits for U.S. residents.

http://www.dutyfreeexpress.com/dutyFreeExemptions.cfm

I had the same questions on our first cruise. You can bring back anything that will fit through an average metal detector. We bought alcohol, after passing through the metal detector, they asked us to step over to a table they had set up. They take it, wrap it in brown paper, label it with your cabin number and it is delivered the last night of the cruise. We got ours back in time to pack in the suitcase that would be picked up for baggage assist. If you opened the bottle before boarding the ship, they will make you dump it. All of it must be sealed. You will also have customs forms left by the room steward the last night to fill out. From what I understand, they aren't too concerned about T-shirts or fridge magnets, but make sure you list any alcohol or medication you might buy. Carry these forms with you as you get off the ship. We didn't have any problems getting through customs. It was painless. Hope this helps.

I pack a roll (unroll it) of small bubble wrap and tearoff tape. I wrap the bottles up and place them in a larger bag. I've never had a problem with breakage. I also use the bubble wrap for other breakable items. I came back with two bottles of champagne, two bottles of tequila, and an empty bottle of tequila creme on my last cruise (cool bottle for a display). All made it.

Also, it is possible to get by the turn-in table with your alcohol, if you're lucky. We were. :)

Here is a link that explains the duty free limits for U.S. residents.

http://www.dutyfreeexpress.com/dutyFreeExemptions.cfm

I had the same questions on our first cruise. You can bring back anything that will fit through an average metal detector. We bought alcohol, after passing through the metal detector, they asked us to step over to a table they had set up. They take it, wrap it in brown paper, label it with your cabin number and it is delivered the last night of the cruise. We got ours back in time to pack in the suitcase that would be picked up for baggage assist. If you opened the bottle before boarding the ship, they will make you dump it. All of it must be sealed. You will also have customs forms left by the room steward the last night to fill out. From what I understand, they aren't too concerned about T-shirts or fridge magnets, but make sure you list any alcohol or medication you might buy. Carry these forms with you as you get off the ship. We didn't have any problems getting through customs. It was painless. Hope this helps.

Thank you!

and thank you everyone! :) I am so excited lol

I pack a roll (unroll it) of small bubble wrap and tearoff tape. I wrap the bottles up and place them in a larger bag. I've never had a problem with breakage. I also use the bubble wrap for other breakable items. I came back with two bottles of champagne, two bottles of tequila, and an empty bottle of tequila creme on my last cruise (cool bottle for a display). All made it.

Also, it is possible to get by the turn-in table with your alcohol, if you're lucky. We were. :)

Those bottles can be very heavy and easily can put your suitcase over the usual 50 pounds weight limit. The penalty for an overweight suitcase can well erase any savings you had buying it duty free.

Of course, if you aren't flying, the sky is the limit. :)

The costs of overweight luggage &/or a second bag to fly your "cheap" booze home negate any savings. Bear those costs in mind as you shop.

Bottle of Bacardi in the islands may be $12 v. $20 at home a difference of $8 but the $25 extra I will have to pay to get it home means I'll just shop at home.

Note that the ship will prohibit you from bringing back weapon souvenirs such as knives, swords, and guns ... if you wanted to buy anything like that while at port, you'd need it to be shipped.

As for the liquor ... make sure you have an idea of what current prices are in your area. Some brands are always on duty-free special (Absolut, Cruzan, etc) and others are never discounted that heavily (Jack Daniels, etc ... at least compared with my local prices).

I had bought this cool bowl made out of palm.....little did I know this is a no no! BUT....they put this dye on it to kill any bugs that may have been in it! So you have to be careful about things like that! But everything else was fine!

Archived