Galveston fogged in again

1948buddy

I do too. Unfortunately, the only reason I found out about it was last week from the online video that went viral which used the site to show the track Concordia took.:(

I hate the reason you found it, but it is a great site. I like how "real time" accurate it is. I could see the one pilot boat stop at both ships, and now I am watching the icon for Mariner turn around.

I really need to become less obsessed!:eek::o

You are right, that is tight! :eek:

There is sufficient room (the Magic is only 52 feet longer than the Conquest) but, on two occasions, ships made contact with the articulated passenger gangway. On one occasion the stern of the Ecstasy hit the gangway as the ship turned. It was due to a communication issue between the pilot on the bridge and the pilot stationed at the stern. The blame ended up with the pilot.

They're turning at the basin that's in front of Pier 10... it's considerably larger than the one in front of Pier 23...

:)

There is sufficient room (the Magic is only 52 feet longer than the Conquest)

They're turning at the basin that's in front of Pier 10... it's considerably larger than the one in front of Pier 23...

The Triumph turned @ 23 yesterday

But she also left when it was foggy last night is it different rules for departure than arrival????

The Triumph turned @ 23 yesterday

But she also left when it was foggy last night is it different rules for departure than arrival????

Normally, they'll turn at one of the basins when they arrive and dock so that the bow faces down the channel toward the bay. If the winds are strong, too strong for the thrusters to safely turn the ship, they'll dock with the bow toward the drawbridge that you see at the far side of the webcam image from the Cruise Cam. If that's the case, they'll turn when they set sail...

It seems like they have settled on the turning basin by Pier 10 for the big ships. I've noticed even when they're running extremely late, both ships are getting turned around before they dock. I'm sure that has to do with the iffy fog situation...remember when fog trapped both Conquest and Voyager overnight? Only Conquest had turned when she came in on Sunday. On Monday there was a very small window of opportunity to depart. Conquest made it out, but because Voyager hadn't turned on Sunday, she wasn't able to get out until Tuesday. That was the last time I saw a Royal Caribbean ship dock "backwards" in Galveston!:rolleyes:

Normally, they'll turn at one of the basins when they arrive and dock so that the bow faces down the channel toward the bay. If the winds are strong, too strong for the thrusters to safely turn the ship, they'll dock with the bow toward the drawbridge that you see at the far side of the webcam image from the Cruise Cam. If that's the case, they'll turn when they set sail...

Several times I've come in when wind was an issue. We always turned using tugs.

Several times I've come in when wind was an issue. We always turned using tugs.

Yep... that's the alternative. Normally, if the forecast is for the wind to lay prior to sail away the Carnival ships will dock without turning... those tugs are EXPENSIVE!!!

Thanks Ill look for that

Ive been watching the cruisecam alot lately and Id never seen a ship flip a uturn @ pier 23 before yesterday

But how was The Triumph able to leave last night when it seemed to be just as foggy as it was in the morning when they were delayed

Archived