Navigator Questions

drcandon

Hi..since Regent has moved the 2 bigger ships out of Caribbean waters next year and we would really like to go again, the smaller ship is a choice. I don't have any issues with a smaller ship, I just have a couple of questions from those who have been on the Navigator before.

We really do like the Compas Rose, and not because we are unsocialble folks we just don't prefer dining with others. So my first question is how many 2 seat tables are there in this ship in the Compas Rose? We dine early so getting there right as "the doors open" is not an issue for us.

Second, the gym. of course I understand, smaller ship = smaller gym..not as big as the Mariner. I read there are 2 elipticals, can anyone describe the weight machine they have - is it a multi station one?

Thanks in advance.

We just returned from a trip with the Navigator and found the Compass Rose to be a delightful place. The waiters and headwaiters are friendly and extremely helpful. There are plenty of 2 seat tables along the sides (along the windows) and if you get early, there shouldn't be an issue. I also saw plenty of couples sitting alone on tables for 4 without any issue. The dining room was filled, but never crowded, there were always tables available and we never encountered a wait. (take the stern entrance at deck 5)

On the Gym: Walked through there once :-) and believe there were 5 or 6 exercise machines (don't quote me on the exact number though). Seemed to be sufficient for the ship and the people on board.

Enjoy the trip

Second, the gym. of course I understand, smaller ship = smaller gym..not as big as the Mariner. I read there are 2 elipticals, can anyone describe the weight machine they have - is it a multi station one?

Thanks in advance.

There are 2 ellipticals, 2 stationary bikes, 4 treadmills and 3 weight machines none of which are multi station/purpose. I think one is a leg press, one is a lat ad the other maybe a bicep. There are 3 benches and a large free weight rack.

J

Seconding Franzr's comments above regarding Compass Rose, and adding that there are several deuces along the main aisles on either side of the room as well.

We, too, returned last month from Navigator. There has clearly been a rearrangement of the furniture since our previous Navigator cruise in 2006 when deuces were somewhat difficult to come by.

Not only did we have a deuce every night, we had exactly the same table every night. The maitre d' knew that we preferred table 15; we arrived when the room opened so there was never an appearance of his having saved our table in preference to other diners. We felt the location was "just right" and so were the wait staff who took care of us every night. They knew our names and our preferences; we knew their names and enough about their lives to have some pretty funny conversations. Also to be certain that their families were safe after the Philippine typhoon.

We dined in CR 90% of the time (dinner only), with the other 10% spent in Prime 7. And guess what! Compass Rose was the better restaurant in almost every regard. JMHO. YMMV.

Agree--no problem getting a 2-top in CR, or La Veranda or P7 for that matter. I walk on deck, but my husband goes to the gym regularly and felt it quite adequate. It looked very well equipped to me as well when I stuck my head in.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see a poll of dinner guests on a Regent vessel to determine the percentages of the guests preferring 2-person seating, 4-person, and the full circle table. Obviously there is just so much space in Compass Rose for seating and we are fortunate when we get what we request. Perhaps Regent should rethink their layout and break Compass Rose into 3 parts; one for those who are inclined to be unsociable; another for those who desire to get to know a few people really well; and the 3rd for people who don't mind chatting great distances over potted plants and wine flutes. I envisage a measurement in sound volume as part of this study, as well. The people in the twosome category eating in dead silence with the volume increasing as one moves to dining area 2 and finally experiencing the crescendo being emitted in dining area 3. Smile, please . . . I'm only joking . . . Jack Morris

I'd like to see a poll of dinner guests on a Regent vessel to determine the percentages of the guests preferring 2-person seating, 4-person, and the full circle table. Obviously there is just so much space in Compass Rose for seating and we are fortunate when we get what we request. Perhaps Regent should rethink their layout and break Compass Rose into 3 parts; one for those who are inclined to be unsociable; another for those who desire to get to know a few people really well; and the 3rd for people who don't mind chatting great distances over potted plants and wine flutes. I envisage a measurement in sound volume as part of this study, as well. The people in the twosome category eating in dead silence with the volume increasing as one moves to dining area 2 and finally experiencing the crescendo being emitted in dining area 3. Smile, please . . . I'm only joking . . . Jack Morris

Wow, a little to much thought into that!:)

I read your post with mounting horror and was so pleased to see the last three words. :)

Funny Jack, but grains of truth sprinkled around! But seriously, I like either a table for two, or when dining with strangers, a table for 6--the tables for 8 are just too big, and not conducive to conversation. We avoid tables for 4, unless we're dining with friends. Go ahead and speculate on why that is!

Funny Jack, but grains of truth sprinkled around! But seriously, I like either a table for two, or when dining with strangers, a table for 6--the tables for 8 are just too big, and not conducive to conversation. We avoid tables for 4, unless we're dining with friends. Go ahead and speculate on why that is!

I shall speculate, Wendy The Wanderer, since I have pondered the risks of requesting a table for 4 and have gone ahead with the 4 request and then sat with some of the greatest people in all my travels. Most certainly there is the possibility of facing two folks with whom you find nothing at all in common. They likely thinking the same about you and your partner, as well. What to do? Request a seating change early on and be done with it.

On the other hand, remember that travelers who request tables for 4 are, in some ways, just like you; they, too, want to meet people and they seek to have conversations with people other than those they have already experienced. A table for 4 is not for folks who seek privacy or feel uncomfortable conversing with total strangers. A request for a 4-some means you want to meet and make new friends, and unless these are your goals, go for the larger table. Like you, Wendy The Wanderer, I find hearing and speaking at group tables taxing and not all that enjoyable.

Thank Heaven we cruisers are unique in our wishes otherwise we'd all be clamoring for the same set of tables. Jack Morris

Well Jack, we've been fortunate enough not to have been on a set seating cruise. In that case, I would definitely go for a table for 6. I find these a good size for conversations, and with 4 strangers, you have a buffer.

We enjoy meeting new people very much; we just request to be alone once in a while when we're feeling not very sociable, or when we want a romantic twosome.

Well Jack, we've been fortunate enough not to have been on a set seating cruise. In that case, I would definitely go for a table for 6. I find these a good size for conversations, and with 4 strangers, you have a buffer.

We enjoy meeting new people very much; we just request to be alone once in a while when we're feeling not very sociable, or when we want a romantic twosome.

A table for 6 is about right when playing it really safe. When the romantic bug hits, a table for 2 is certainly the request to make. A table for 8 or 10 can be super, as well, when the variety of seated guests are colorful, talkative, and prove time and again to be interested listeners. There are so few opportunities to really get to know new people as one can do while sharing a couple of dinners. More than a few of us come away from cruising with new circles of friends all developed because we shared dinners and drinks and got to know one another. I recall with great warmth meeting the Tahoetraveler couple (they are CCers) while sharing Israeli beer on a tour of Egypt, Israel, and Jordan many years ago. We have house visited and shared cruises with them since. Our 4-some table on Cunard's Queen Mary 2 last September linked us with a British couple from Norwich. We are sharing emails and we are likely to come together again in the near future. All of us have made lasting contacts while cruising. It just seems to be the natural thing to do. Jack Morris

• 4 weeks later...

As I have mentioned in previous posts, we will be on our first Regent cruise in Alaska in June on Navigator. In late March I can make dinner reservations. After reading your posts about dinners, is it only in Prime 7 that I need to make reservations this far ahead? From your posts it sounds like it is no problem to get seated in Compass Rose. We are traveling with another couple and we all love to meet new people. Looking forward to you comments!

As I have mentioned in previous posts, we will be on our first Regent cruise in Alaska in June on Navigator. In late March I can make dinner reservations. After reading your posts about dinners, is it only in Prime 7 that I need to make reservations this far ahead? From your posts it sounds like it is no problem to get seated in Compass Rose. We are traveling with another couple and we all love to meet new people. Looking forward to you comments!

Correct on Prime 7. Make your reservation in March when you can. I believe you will be able to make a single reservation for yourself (two people). If you wish to dine with your traveling couple they will also have to request the same table for their reservation. Best to reserve your table early in the cruise. This way you have a good chance of dining again later in the week.

The only way to get a table for the four of you online is if one of you to do the booking. You will need your booking # for your reservation and also the booking # of the other couple. If you make the reservations separately, you'll probably end up at separate tables.

Archived