Contacting others onboard???

CMcG

We'll be on the Island going to Alaska May 23 out of Vancouver and I assume we will meet many nice people onboard and may want to get together for drinks or dinner or some other activity. Is there an easy way to get in touch with someone onboard if you don't know where they are?

Do you just have to leave a note taped to their door & hope they come back & see it in time? Is there voice mail on the phones in cabin (again hoping that they retreive the message in time)? Is there anyway to contact someone without them going back to their room to retreive messages?

Is there any sort of in-house wifi that doesn't connect you to the Internet but does let you connect with others onboard?

I guess if I have a vague idea where they might be I could try to hunt them down but that could get tiresome.

Appreciate any & all help you can provide for my first cruise!

Cheryl

We'll be on the Island going to Alaska May 23 out of Vancouver and I assume we will meet many nice people onboard and may want to get together for drinks or dinner or some other activity. Is there an easy way to get in touch with someone onboard if you don't know where they are?

Do you just have to leave a note taped to their door & hope they come back & see it in time? Is there voice mail on the phones in cabin (again hoping that they retreive the message in time)? Is there anyway to contact someone without them going back to their room to retreive messages?

Is there any sort of in-house wifi that doesn't connect you to the Internet but does let you connect with others onboard?

I guess if I have a vague idea where they might be I could try to hunt them down but that could get tiresome.

Appreciate any & all help you can provide for my first cruise!

Cheryl

Having their cabin number will be key. With that you can either slip a note under their door. Sometimes people will put notes in their "mailbox." I use that term loosely as it is not truly a secure mailbox but the place where your daily newspaper, invitatations etc. go. Also, Princess puts everyone's names on a little card outside their suite.

Having their cabin number will also allow you to call their cabin and leave a voice mail message. The phone will be blinking when they have a message.

If for some reason you do not know their cabin number, go to Guest Services and leave the note with them to be delivered or have them call the guest's cabin so you can leave a message again on their voice mail. Maybe you will get lucky and they will be in the room and answer the phone.

I do believe that you have to go back to the room to get the voice mails, however.

Have a great first cruise!

Having their cabin number will be key. With that you can either slip a note under their door. Sometimes people will put notes in their "mailbox." I use that term loosely as it is not truly a secure mailbox but the place where your daily newspaper, invitatations etc. go. Also, Princess puts everyone's names on a little card outside their suite.

Having their cabin number will also allow you to call their cabin and leave a voice mail message. The phone will be blinking when they have a message.

If for some reason you do not know their cabin number, go to Guest Services and leave the note with them to be delivered or have them call the guest's cabin so you can leave a message again on their voice mail. Maybe you will get lucky and they will be in the room and answer the phone.

I do believe that you have to go back to the room to get the voice mails, however.

Have a great first cruise!

So I guess that spur of the moment doesn't work well unless you catch someone in their room. :(

You can call them and leave a voice mail, you can leave a note on their door or you can wander the ship and hope to run into them

Paul,

John came up with two more ideas:

1. Carry sets of walkie-talkies and give people you meet one of a set.

2. Telepathy.

Hope one of those will help the OP.

Paul,

John came up with two more ideas:

1. Carry sets of walkie-talkies and give people you meet one of a set.

2. Telepathy.

Hope one of those will help the OP.

John has had his brain working overtime. I was just lazy and gave the easy answers. :)

I don't have an answer other than the walkie talkies. But this reminds me of an earlier cruise. It was our second and we went with our son's HS spring break trip. I suspect they had more than 20 classmates, maybe 30. Anyway, the kids were so used to NOT planning and calling on cell phones but on the ship they didn't work. It drove them nuts.:D

A few of us adults would be sitting around the pool deck and watch as they walked by... and got a chuckle. Each time they walked by, we would always be asked if we saw so and so. We could likely answer yes, but it would be like 10-20 minutes earlier. Of course we'd see the same kids more than once and they still would be looking. I think they were on a scavenger hunt- trying to find each other.

I don't have an answer other than the walkie talkies. But this reminds me of an earlier cruise. It was our second and we went with our son's HS spring break trip. I suspect they had more than 20 classmates, maybe 30. Anyway, the kids were so used to NOT planning and calling on cell phones but on the ship they didn't work. It drove them nuts.:D

A few of us adults would be sitting around the pool deck and watch as they walked by... and got a chuckle. Each time they walked by, we would always be asked if we saw so and so. We could likely answer yes, but it would be like 10-20 minutes earlier. Of course we'd see the same kids more than once and they still would be looking. I think they were on a scavenger hunt- trying to find each other.

It must have been quite entertaining to watch the kids - love the comparison to a scavenger hunt! :D Did they learn to plan ahead by the end of the cruise?

Since we're not traveling with a group (but hoping to want to make plans with new friends) the walkie talkies aren't really an option. And do they even work that well on a ship with all that metal around to interfere with the signal?

Oh well - guess we'll try to make plans when we see people or hope to catch them in their rooms. Although we'll be fine just to enjoy whoever is around at the time. :)

John has had his brain working overtime. I was just lazy and gave the easy answers. :)

John is too modest to post as himself (Maroon Cruiser); I have to do his dirty work.

Anyway, I just had my own brainstorm! Remember that John and I are from New Orleans (originally).

What the OP needs is a bunch of voodoo dolls. When she meets someone she would like to contact later, she could get some hair or a fingernail clipping (or some other body part) and stick it in a doll representing that person; she would also give the person her phone #. Then when she wants the person to call her, she just sticks a pin in the doll and they will know to call her.

No problem with metal or anything else interfering with the delivery of the message to call!

It must have been quite entertaining to watch the kids - love the comparison to a scavenger hunt! :D Did they learn to plan ahead by the end of the cruise?

Since we're not traveling with a group (but hoping to want to make plans with new friends) the walkie talkies aren't really an option. And do they even work that well on a ship with all that metal around to interfere with the signal?

Oh well - guess we'll try to make plans when we see people or hope to catch them in their rooms. Although we'll be fine just to enjoy whoever is around at the time. :)

Even though this was a pretty smart bunch of kids, no they really didn't learn to plan much ahead. I don't get it.. I must be too old school.

And our WTalkies worked pretty well on the ship- even with the metal. They did have some range issues though. And yes, I get your point about these being new friends, so that's why I started that WT, but nothing to add. Maybe you can be like our HS seniors (now graduated from college!!) Enjoy your hunting!

Even though this was a pretty smart bunch of kids, no they really didn't learn to plan much ahead. I don't get it.. I must be too old school.

And our WTalkies worked pretty well on the ship- even with the metal. They did have some range issues though. And yes, I get your point about these being new friends, so that's why I started that WT, but nothing to add. Maybe you can be like our HS seniors (now graduated from college!!) Enjoy your hunting!

My husband, the computer expert, just didn't want to believe me when I said that I thought the options were to call the room & leave voice mail or to tape a note to the door. Much too primitive for him!

I'm sure we'll have fun no matter what happens!

My husband, the computer expert, just didn't want to believe me when I said that I thought the options were to call the room & leave voice mail or to tape a note to the door. Much too primitive for him!

You may find that not only do you have an issue with contacting other people you might have an issue contacting each other once one of you leave the cabin separately.

One of the reason so many lists recommend post it notes and/or dry erase markers (for the room mirror) is to leave notes to each other. The walkie talkies help in that situation too more than contacting other couples.

I'm not sure on the Island but many ships have cell phone coverage within the ship. That'll work too but cost an arm and a leg :)

Karl

How did you husband think you would contact people? Of course you can use your cell phone, if the folks you are contacting have theirs turned on and with them.

You may find that not only do you have an issue with contacting other people you might have an issue contacting each other once one of you leave the cabin separately.

One of the reason so many lists recommend post it notes and/or dry erase markers (for the room mirror) is to leave notes to each other. The walkie talkies help in that situation too more than contacting other couples.

I'm not sure on the Island but many ships have cell phone coverage within the ship. That'll work too but cost an arm and a leg :)

Karl

Yes, ships have cell coverage. Only $2.49 per minute.

When I sail with a group of friends we usually just pick a bar/lounge as a general meeting place. Everyone then meets if they want every night roughly 1 hour before dinner if they want to talk etc. During the day as you wandre about teh ship its fun to swing by and also see who is there hanging out. Same with the buffet, we kind of assign a general area where to look for friends

How did you husband think you would contact people? Of course you can use your cell phone, if the folks you are contacting have theirs turned on and with them.

I have no idea what he was thinking - although I'm sure he could come up with some sort of plan since his specialty is communications. I was afraid of how long the conversation would be and how technical it would get if I asked - sometimes he doesn't realize how much I don't understand! :D

Luckily we don't generally roam too far from each other during vacation so we should be OK with finding each other and we'll just have to plan ahead if we meet someone onboard that we'd like to spend time with later!

Karl

Hopefully I'll find you at least once since we'll be on the same ship!

When I sail with a group of friends we usually just pick a bar/lounge as a general meeting place. Everyone then meets if they want every night roughly 1 hour before dinner if they want to talk etc. During the day as you wandre about teh ship its fun to swing by and also see who is there hanging out. Same with the buffet, we kind of assign a general area where to look for friends

That sounds like a great idea for a group!

Archived