Wow - Airfare from US to Barcelona - Opinions?

flapbreaker

Been looking at summer airfare from the west us Coast to barcelona. All I can say is wow. Costs more than a 12 night cruise. Cheapest I have found is $1300 US. Most are $1500. Does this sound reasonable or should I wait and see if the price drops?

Been looking at summer airfare from the west us Coast to barcelona. All I can say is wow. Costs more than a 12 night cruise. Cheapest I have found is $1300 US. Most are $1500. Does this sound reasonable or should I wait and see if the price drops?

Thats about right especially four or five months out. We go from the east coast and prices range from $1,000 to $1,500. I would check all airports in you area, Last year we saved $1,500 (there are 3 of us) by driving 3 hours away to another airport. Also look at non-US airlines, sometimes they are less.

That's about right to Europe in summer. Most airlines have costs around $0.15/seat/mile, so $1,500 for 10,000 miles seems about right.

We've just started watching airfare in anticipation of cruising from Barcelona next summer. We found the flight we want and have marked the calendar for when it will be available to book, and we have a set range in mind so we may end up booking with the cruiseline if their air portion is within that range rather than stressing about doing it on our own.

I will say that looking in the winter, it's about $500 less than summer at this point, but I don't know if it's because it's winter vs. summer or because it's 10+ months away vs. 5 months away.

We booked our r/t for Barcelona from SFO for about $1500.00 in October of last year. Doubtful it will improve. We found this weekend that even Spanair, the airline we had planned on using within Spain, has gone bankrupt......flights will be even more in demand.

msk1

Yes it is sticker shock. Last summer we paid $1300 roundtrip to Barcelona from Newark. And it wasn't even non-stop. Clearly, you can spend more money on airfare than on the cruise itself. There's no magic solution.

We are also sailing from Barcelona this summer, so I started watching airline tickets about this time last year for flights last June. $1300 is the cheapest I ever saw it from the west coast, and I believe it did go up to about $1600. I would book sooner rather than later! :)

FWIW its all supply and demand and in the summer it can be pricey early on than we'll see how the summer shapes up with the economy and all.

We started out 1300 and change and those that purchased later dropped to 1100, YMMV as if seats go fast prices could go the other way too.

I was also disappointed with the prices of the flights to Barcelona. We are taking a cruise in June and live near Milwaukee. I found a website called compete4yourseat.com where you can submit the dates you want to fly and departure and arrival cities. Agents bid on your request and if you find a good deal you can contact them to book it.

It worked for me and I got some great flights from Milwaukee with only one short layover at a US airport. I figure we saved over $150 a person.:)

I was also disappointed with the prices of the flights to Barcelona. We are taking a cruise in June and live near Milwaukee. I found a website called compete4yourseat.com where you can submit the dates you want to fly and departure and arrival cities. Agents bid on your request and if you find a good deal you can contact them to book it.

It worked for me and I got some great flights from Milwaukee with only one short layover at a US airport. I figure we saved over $150 a person.:)

Just curious, did you read through the terms and conditions associated with your purchase? Did you purchase these tickets through Farebuzz?

We live in Saskatchewan and are taking a cruise from Barcelona in July .I started looking at flights last August as soon as they became available and then the best prices I could find were around $1800. return per person. I've been checking frequently for sales or a price drop but instead the prices have been constantly creeping up so last week I bit the bullet and bought the four tickets at $2000. per person Yikes! That was much more than I've been budgeting for so I'll have to watch my pennies other places now but I feel relieved in a way that I got the flights and dates that I wanted and I don't have to spend another minute checking prices anymore.

We are flying to Barcelona in June. Have been watching airfare for a couple months and they are like that stock market - up and down frequently during the day. We are flying out of Newark, non stop for $1426 pp. Could go cheaper if we were to fly out of New York and/or do a stop over someplace but we are paying the $100-$200 extra for the ease and convenience. I'm still watching to see if the price goes way down. It hasn't. I heard on the news the best time to purchase airline tickets is 6 weeks out from departure. The problem is you may not get a seat or the times you want.

Consider going through London (Heathrow or Gatwick) and connecting to BCN.

Many more flights to London from the US and a more affordable airfare

market..

For May 2012 We purchased RT ticked EWR to LHR on Continental and a seperate ticket LHR to BCN on BA

Saved over $400 per ticket.

Good luck.".

Thanks for all the feedback. At least I know that these rates are pretty much as good as it gets.

I have flown to Barcelona from San Diego the last 4 years and this is the highest I have seen airfare for this location. It is the taxes that are making the fare so high....I was told by an agency that 6 weeks prior to the flight date is the best time to pick up the fare. If anyone comes across a $1,200.00-$1,300.00 fare rate please post. We can leave from LAX, Vegas, San Diego, or Orange County Ca.

Thanks

We are doing a Transatlantic in November, Barcelona to New Orleans. We used our Southwest Points to get our round trip tickets from Boise to New Orleans. I don't remember what cruise line you are going on but we are going on RCI's Navigator of the Seas. We went through their Choice Air to book our flight from New Orleans to Barcelona - tickets one way were $510 each. Since our domestic flights are basically free, two one way tickets came to $1020. Not bad for going through the cruise line.

You might want to check with your cruise line and see what their air fare is running.

Yes, I read through all the fine print. It does not mention fare buzz anywhere. The company name that had the best bid is Select Travel Club. It all looks fine to me. The confirmation number is accurate when compared to the information on the airline website, so I think we are fine.

Yes, I read through all the fine print. It does not mention fare buzz anywhere. The company name that had the best bid is Select Travel Club. It all looks fine to me. The confirmation number is accurate when compared to the information on the airline website, so I think we are fine.

FYI: This company received an "F" from the BBB (http://www.bbb.org/NYC/Business-Reviews/travel-agencies-and-bureaus/select-travel-club-in-great-neck-ny-87449/).

Archived