Can you feel a lot of movement?

lmsjt915

I am starting to get some anxiety about this. Taking our first cruise next month on Liberty of the Seas. I am getting really nervous about being "trapped" on a ship and feeling tons of movement and/or getting seasick. I plan on bringing meds just in case, but can you really feel a lot of movement?

Some people get sea sick-- most do not.

Depends on the motion of the ocean and where your cabin is located. Being low and midship feels less motion then the aft which feels less motion then being forward.

With that being said-- we sailed last week- Felt a little motion when sailing but boy when I got home I felt it. Today is the first day that I did not

Yes...you will feel some motion, unless the seas are really flat and calm. However, it really isn't like being on a small boat....or even, a train or plane!

If you don't suffer from motion sickness in a car, or plane....you'll most likely be just fine. And as far as that "trapped" feeling...don't worry...the ship is HUGE...and you'll feel like you're in a resort hotel!

Please...try not to worry! Thousands of folks cruise every week! It's really enjoyable!

This is one of the most subjective questions asked on CC. Fact of the matter is that some people complain they feel terrible amounts of movement, while some feel nothing.

There are many different things you can take. A friend of mine who gets seasick takes Scopace, and she claims it really helps her.

You really don't know how you will react to the sensation of a ship's movement until you are aboard. Good luck and enjoy your vacation!!!

Usually you won't feel a thing. That being said, if you are prone to motion sickness start your treatment before you begin the cruise. Put your mind at ease. BTW, I typically can feel the movement more towards the front and rear of the ship, and the sway more on the upper decks. If I then go to the middle, I usually feel nothing. If you do start to feel it, you might try the same thing.

Thanks for reassuring me! I generally do not get carsick or plane sick, I think my anxiety about it makes me feel more nauseous than anything! ;) We are on level 6 in a promenade room, I tried to book interior and fairly low. I hope that is a decent area.

This is one of the most subjective questions asked on CC. Fact of the matter is that some people complain they feel terrible amounts of movement, while some feel nothing.

There are many different things you can take. A friend of mine who gets seasick takes Scopace, and she claims it really helps her.

You really don't know how you will react to the sensation of a ship's movement until you are aboard. Good luck and enjoy your vacation!!!

And in some cases, these people are on the same cruise.

Each person has different reactions. My wife and I seem to get our "sea legs" before the first nights dinner. Our problem is after the cruise and we're back on dry land -Whoa, stop the earth from swaying :eek:.

The best remedy for motion sickness is to find somewhere on the ship where you can see the horizon. Motion sickness is caused by a disconnect between what your inner ear (contols balance) senses and your eyes see. If you can't see the movement (one reason why we never book an interior cabin), there is no way for your brain to compensate.

Thanks for reassuring me! I generally do not get carsick or plane sick, I think my anxiety about it makes me feel more nauseous than anything! ;) We are on level 6 in a promenade room, I tried to book interior and fairly low. I hope that is a decent area.

Sounds like you are centrally located and if you are fine in a car and plane, don't worry!

Liberty is a Big ship and you will be too busy to notice if there is movement!!:D

Have a great cruise and join the rest of us 'Hooked on Cruising' people.:D

I easily get sick on small boats and in the back seat of the car. I am usually fine on cruise ships and feel the motion, but not enough to get sick or feel nauseous. They have stabilizers that help with the motion of the sea.

One thing you might want to consider is taking ginger pills a couple of days before the cruise and throughout the cruise. Mind you, they don't work for everyone and I would double check with your doctor before taking them to make sure they don't contradict with your other meds, but I have heard really good things about them and plan on taking them before my cruise, especially since we have a long plane ride too and I sometimes feel sick on planes too. :(

My mom is very prone to motion sickness. She used to take Bonine, which is a chewable non drowsy pill. It's a little expensive....I think 20+ dollars for about 16 pills. She has since gone to Target and asked the pharmacist behind the counter for something similar. So for 5.00 she now gets 100 pills. They are still chewable and don't have any adverse side affects.

My mom would live on a ship if she could. So I recommend to just be prepared with something to take just in case. Everyone reacts different.

The ships are so big, especially Freedom class and above, that it takes some pretty rough water to make for much of any motion and the Captains are well aware of rough areas so avoid them when they can. Stabilizers control side to side rocking (main reason for low cabin) pretty well if it gets bad but even in 12 foot seas we've never seen them used and felt very little motion. What little there was has been very pleasant at night, in bed, rocking us to sleep.

Last cruise the only time we felt any motion was in the theater - far forward in the bow. A bit of elavator up/down feeling. But when we went aft to a lounge in stern area we felt nothing. If it gets rough skip theater show. Pitching motion is main reason for center ship location.

Video

Think of it as a "worst case" sort of thing and if it does not cause discomfort then barring inner ear issue the motion likely to be actually felt is nothing to worry about.

video - note the bridge wing far forward stays pretty tight to horizon - an indication that ship motion is not very great. Huge ship just plows through the waves.

The ships are so big, especially Freedom class and above, that it takes some pretty rough water to make for much of any motion and the Captains are well aware of rough areas so avoid them when they can. Stabilizers control side to side rocking (main reason for low cabin) pretty well if it gets bad but even in 12 foot seas we've never seen them used and felt very little motion. What little there was has been very pleasant at night, in bed, rocking us to sleep.

Last cruise the only time we felt any motion was in the theater - far forward in the bow. A bit of elavator up/down feeling. But when we went aft to a lounge in stern area we felt nothing. If it gets rough skip theater show. Pitching motion is main reason for center ship location.

Video

Think of it as a "worst case" sort of thing and if it does not cause discomfort then barring inner ear issue the motion likely to be actually felt is nothing to worry about.

video - note the bridge wing far forward stays pretty tight to horizon - an indication that ship motion is not very great. Huge ship just plows through the waves.

Thanks for the links! Super cool actually:)

On Majesty, most of the time I felt absolutely nothing. I felt some up-and-down as I walked down the hall to our cabins (which were quite forward on deck 6). Husband was always turning around to me and hissing "DID YOU FEEL THAT!?!" because he felt every tiny little movement and I basically ignored most movement. there was one moment after dinner the first night when I sat down in our cabin and I felt a momentary feeling of dizziness that subsided with a quick shake of my head.

My kid who gets suddenly and violently motion sick in cars and planes was fine the entire trip. Never once felt off, sick or dizzy.

We were on the Liberty of the Seas last week too and even though there was wind and whitecaps we really didn't feel a lot of motion, more of a gentle rocking at times. We take Bonine and never have had any problems with motion sickness. As others have said, we noticed more problems after we got off the ship trying to get our land legs back. But even that wasn't that bad. Enjoy your cruise--don't worry about feeling closed in or trapped. The ships are so big and so much going on that you won't feel that way.

You can get sea sick tablets on the ship. Ask at Guest relations, or just go down to the medical centre. They usually distribute them rather freely.

Usually, I don't need sea sick pills.

But there was a really rocky cruise we took back in 2006, the final day when the ship was sailing back from Mexico to San Diego. Taking the sea sick pill really helped.

I get motion sickness VERY easily. Can't sleep in the car, can't look down, can't read. Can't ride a merry-go-round, can't even watch it go around. I have never gotten sick on a cruise. Only on a couple of ships did we had a night of rough weather and I took some meds they have in a basket outside of the ship's doctors office as a preventative measure....never felt the least bit sick.

I have never been on a cruise where I didn't feel SOME movement, you are actually moving however LOL. To me here is my best explanation...you are sitting still and feel you body leaning to one side, not a total lean just like a slight pull. My daughter, who is 7, gets car sick being in a car only an hour. She gets headaches and actual vomiting so not just nausea in the car. When we were on our cruise this past October she complained with her stomach feeling funny after dinner the first night and I gave her a single dose of pepto and she was perfect the rest of the cruise. I think our seas may have been a little rough that night because even my DH said he was feeling funny and he has never been motion sick before. My theory is, even if you cruise 20 times and don't get sick you may get it the next cruise. I always take bonine for my husband, children's dramamine and behind the ear drops for my kids and Zofran (prescription only) for myself because I have episodes of extreme vertigo on land a few times a year. Here's to hoping you smooth sailings your entire cruise.

Archived