Computer Geeks- could you answer?

Commieri

DH and I going on the Grand Sat ( please no NoroVirus).. He heard about a potential job opening that he may need to apply for while we're away. He insists he will need to bring his laptop so he can upload his resume to the job application site. I say he could either email the document to himself or we could put it on a flash drive and he can attach it from there. He is old school and won't do it. I dread having to lug all our luggage AND his laptop case, esp since we may need to self-disembark But I want to be sure he has no problems posting his resume if the job becomes available. Background- he was unemployed for a while, has a really awful job now so we are dying for him to get another... I don't want to mess up his chances. Am I correct in my two ways he could get to his resume? thanks for your help,:D

Yup, I agree- we better take it because God forbid he can't upload it from email I will be tossed overboard!!! And actually, I really really want him to get this other job and am not willing to take any chances of messing anything up. Thanks- and please wish for calm seas, sunny days, no noro virus and a new job... that's all, I'm not unreasonable;)

DH and I going on the Grand Sat ( please no NoroVirus).. He heard about a potential job opening that he may need to apply for while we're away. He insists he will need to bring his laptop so he can upload his resume to the job application site. I say he could either email the document to himself or we could put it on a flash drive and he can attach it from there. He is old school and won't do it. I dread having to lug all our luggage AND his laptop case, esp since we may need to self-disembark But I want to be sure he has no problems posting his resume if the job becomes available. Background- he was unemployed for a while, has a really awful job now so we are dying for him to get another... I don't want to mess up his chances. Am I correct in my two ways he could get to his resume? thanks for your help,:D

You do not have access to the USB ports on the ships computers in the internet cafe, so either have it available via email, uploaded to a cloud site that he could get to via the internet, or bring a netbook/tablet/laptop with you.

Also, when we were on the Grand in December the wireless didn't work in our room the entire week (Lido deck), and I heard lots of complaints to the manager of the internet cafe about it not working in other cabin locations on the ship, so I don't know if those problems have been resolved yet. Probably best to have access to his resume a couple of different ways.

Mike

Maybe he should buy/borrow a small netbook computer for this type of use. That is what I do and it fits in my backpack with no problems. He could have his resume loaded on it and a thumb or external hard drive for a backup. Then he could access the ships WIFI and send anything he needed to in the format that would be required. Makes things much easier than carrying a large laptop around with you.

I'd recommend taking the laptop which you could take ashore if necessary and use a hotspot there to send the resume if you don't have good quality connectivity on the ship.

You could also take a hardcopy of the resume and fax it from the ship. That can be done at the guest services desk, but you have to pay for it.

This is overkill but if it's really that important, it's worth doing all three.

-take the laptop with his resume,

-take a USB drive that contains a copy of his resume,

-and email a copy to his internet email address.

Also, employers have different resume submission procedures. Some may want resumes to be uploaded in a specific format (like MS Word) while some may want the resume emailed in plain text (as part of the email body) while others may use a web-based fill-in form. Bringing a laptop should give him the flexibility to convert or reference his current original document.

Bring the laptop

1) You might want to edit the resume.

2) Keep a copy on USB, but don't expect to find any computer on the ship that allows upload. Can you imagine what could get uploaded that might not be so good for computer or other users of shared computers

In the end one needs to choose vacation or get a job.

Good luck

Archived