Going solo! Got dumped the day we leave.

Breezie68

I am sure there is more to this story. The op said herself that it was "his kids" birthday and he was having second thoughts about being gone during it and she didn't seem to care about his second thoughts. Sounds like that was what started the fight.

I realize that he knew in June that it was going to be his childs birthday but I can understand that he was now having second thoughts. I also think that he has had since June to pay the op back so he should have.

I did find reading the way she worded " his kids" birthday and didn't seem to acknowledge it kind of not so nice on her part. I know I am just reading print but it did come across that she didn't really care. I was really on her side until I read that post.

Does this even concern me? No. Why am I typing my opinion

? Because the op started the thread and I am home with my daughter who is out of school with the crud and I am doing laundry and have nothing better to do than comment on complete strangers lives;)

I am sure there is more to this story.

I'm happy the OP is moving on with her cruise as well, and hope she has an awesome time. I also wondered if there was more to the story when I saw she was newly single & contemplating a solo journey back in November. Not that they couldn't have reconciled, OR picked up a new BF. Things that make you go hmmmmm...

I LOVED reading your review thus far! Your ship was the first cruise I ever went on, and I got hooked as well!

I'm newly single as well, and have contemplated doing a solo journey! I think I just might now! :)

I'm happy the OP is moving on with her cruise as well, and hope she has an awesome time. I also wondered if there was more to the story when I saw she was newly single & contemplating a solo journey back in November. Not that they couldn't have reconciled, OR picked up a new BF. Things that make you go hmmmmm...

Originally Posted by Breezie68 in November 2011

I LOVED reading your review thus far! Your ship was the first cruise I ever went on, and I got hooked as well!

I'm newly single as well, and have contemplated doing a solo journey! I think I just might now!

I am a little curious now as to if the OP was just bored. If she posted the above in November of 11 and claims she booked the cruise for she and her bf in June of 11, the facts don't add up.

I'm newly single as well, and have contemplated doing a solo journey! I think I just might now!

I am a little curious now as to if the OP was just bored. If she posted the above in November of 11 and claims she booked the cruise for she and her bf in June of 11, the facts don't add up.

Yep, that's what I was talkin' about. Seems a little odd, but you never know!

I really hope that internet detectives don't spend the entire week she is away contemplating on how her story doesn't add up and accusing her of being shady. I would like her to come back and tell us how her cruise went, PLEASE don't ruin it. :mad:

? Because the op started the thread and I am home with my daughter who is out of school with the crud and I am doing laundry and have nothing better to do than comment on complete strangers lives;)

LOLOL Love it ;)

I really hope that internet detectives don't spend the entire week she is away contemplating on how her story doesn't add up and accusing her of being shady. I would like her to come back and tell us how her cruise went, PLEASE don't ruin it. :mad:

I don't see how pointing out an inconsistency is going to RUIN it. Just use the ignore function to hide my comment and the others who noticed the same thing.

Oh and I spent 5 seconds doing detective work based on the post above mine. Detecting completed.

I'm so sorry. What an ASS! I cruised last year paid for a friend to come with me since I had to pay for 2 anyway. He ended up having heart surgery 3 weeks prior to sailing. When I boarded I told them he will be a no show. They refunded me the taxes and port fees I paid out for him. It's not much about a hundred dollars but better than nothing. Call Carnival now and change the excursions to 1 person if you still want them or cancel them entirely if you can get a refund. Believe me you will enjoy cruising solo. That was my first solo cruise and now I only cruise solo.

Dan

I'm so sorry. What an ASS! I cruised last year paid for a friend to come with me since I had to pay for 2 anyway. He ended up having heart surgery 3 weeks prior to sailing. When I boarded I told them he will be a no show. They refunded me the taxes and port fees I paid out for him. It's not much about a hundred dollars but better than nothing. Call Carnival now and change the excursions to 1 person if you still want them or cancel them entirely if you can get a refund. Believe me you will enjoy cruising solo. That was my first solo cruise and now I only cruise solo.

Dan

Mine was in reverse. Booked solo, a friend wanted to come. It felt cramped (mostly mental).

If you can't get a refund, consider looking for someone on the ship to go with you and share the expense. Just put the word out, see what happens. Or, maybe they will take the cost of his excursions and give you a credit to use on some other adventures.

Perhaps there's a simple explanation: maybe this isn't their first break-up? Hopefully it'll be their last though... OP, I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Another thing you could do if you choose to.

Ask Carnival (Maître di) to seat you at a table for solo

travelers. Would be a nice way to meet new people.

Since you already know people on the cruise, you

don't necessarily have to sit with them for meals.

Just a suggestion, do whatever you want.

That is the benefit of traveling solo.

Just have an open mind, a positive

attitude, and you will have a great time.

Don't give that person another thought.

He is now a seven letter word!! History..

Let us know how it goes...:)

Perhaps there's a simple explanation: maybe this isn't their first break-up? Hopefully it'll be their last though... OP, I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Yes... that was stated a few posts above. ;)

Lousy timing.. but it better to go solo than with someone who doesn't want to be there. He's a creep for doing it so close to the cruise but it is better before than after. I think that would have made me feel used if I had paid for everything.

I hope you have the time of your life.

Ditto!!! Better than investing time and a great vacation with someone who doesn't want to be with you. Have a great time anyway! I find there are always plenty of people to meet and watch when cruising solo.

Whatever the facts of this are is irrelevant to me. First I hope the girl is having a great time and if true she's better off without him.

Secondly, I don't think anybody here can deny if you're going to get dumped this is the best case scenario! Let's see spend a week at home and work brooding and miserable. Or a week on a Caribbean cruise with all of the alcohol and rebound opportunities you could want. Couldn't make any better lemonade than that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure there is more to this story. The op said herself that it was "his kids" birthday and he was having second thoughts about being gone during it and she didn't seem to care about his second thoughts. Sounds like that was what started the fight.

I realize that he knew in June that it was going to be his childs birthday but I can understand that he was now having second thoughts. I also think that he has had since June to pay the op back so he should have.

I did find reading the way she worded " his kids" birthday and didn't seem to acknowledge it kind of not so nice on her part. I know I am just reading print but it did come across that she didn't really care. I was really on her side until I read that post.

Your response has got to be the best and funniest that I have read on cruise critic.:D

Let's put a new spin on this situation. She's getting sympathy from posters, but not quite sure why. She paid for everything including excursions...why? Who paid plane fare? Hotel room? etc. The guy must have been a dud in the first place, not even a solid relationship. Was she buying a boyfriend just to have one? It was low of him to bail out, yet man enough to do it before the cruise. Of course it was no money for him, she footed the bill.

Let the flames begin!!

No flames because I was thinking the same thing. He should have forked over some money if he wanted to go on a cruise.

Thanks everyone, your certainly cheering me up! I will wonder down to the pursers desk and see if I can get a refund. Hopefully I can get something back. My ex was supposed to pay me back for the trip when we returned home, as he was expecting a bonus from his work. The reason he broke up with me.... Because the cruise fell on his sons birthday, and he felt terrible for leaving his kid and mad at me for not understanding.( for what it's worth, he knew going in that this cruise fell on his kids birthday and said it would be no problem.... We booked last June).

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?epubgf

Maybe you should have your mother go over to his house with a baseball bat and get some money out of him. That is what I would do if some loser did this to my daughter. :).

Better to find out where you stand now versus right before a wedding for example. Since you booked so far ahead, and he obviously knows his son's birth date, I'm sure the birthday wasn't the reason for his cancellation.

Maybe I'm an old-fashioned 30-something, but I feel the man should pay, or at least pay his own way. I also think he should spend his son's birthday with him. His child should come first.

Have fun, take lots of happy pics, and have lots of these :D.....

206403_1044723810513_1598170791_113951_9815_n2-1.jpg

Archived