Explorer of the Seas vs Carnival Miracle

I need some help please! I am currently booked on the EOS for a 10 day cruise out of Bayonne at the end of August visiting Bermuda, St Maarten, San Juan, St Thomas and Labadee. The Miracle has an eight day leaving on Labor Day and it goes to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. I am having second thoughts and am thinking of switching. I am a loyal Carnival cruiser, I know that the Miracle just came out of dry dock and having cruised on the Spirit last year, I loved the flow and size of the ship.

Cost wise, the cruises are about the same 90 bucks per day including port and taxes.

With regards to cooked to order options on the Explorer, does the Windjammer Cafe have a pasta station at lunch time? I also read that there is a Mongolian Wok station available at dinner time, is this available every day and what time does it open? Since dinner is at 830, a little stir fry at 530 would be a nice appetizer since I think I am going to be disappointed in the limited lunch choices available on the EOS. Tell me if I am wrong, but it seems like the options are the MDR on sea days, the buffet or paying 4.95 at JR's. Having mainly cruised Carnival, theer are cooked to order options like a deli, the Mongolian Wok, the Burrito Bar, the Grill or 24 hour pizza.

Is there someone that has cruised on both that can sway me one way or another? Thank you very much for your input.

I was truly torn as to whether I should answer this or not. I have been on both of them twice and I love both ships. The Explorer is also going into dry dock, from what I have read.

It seems to me you are basing your decision on food. Yes, Carnival has numerous stations around the lido deck....(Mongolian Wok, Deli, Burrito....etc) ...but the Explorer pretty much has the same stuff, but it is all in the Windjammer. There are many stations. (Asian food, Hamburgers, deli sandwiches...etc.) \

Please do not make your decision solely based on food. They are really not that different.

The Explorer also has the cafe promenade which is open 24 hrs a day and serves pizza, mini sandwiches, pastries, etc depending on the time of day.

I agree with the previous poster, don't base your decision on the food options, both will provide plenty to eat. I would look at the other options the ship offers (shows, activities), the ports you will be visiting, etc to make your decision.

Just to add to your food choices. The promenade cafe on deck 5? serves pizza, sandwiches and cookies for free. They also have Ben and jerry's for a fee. They are open close to 24hrs. They do close sometime during the late night/ early morning hours for a short while. There is also room service available.

I have not cruised on the Miracle but Explorer is a great ship. The ice show is always interesting. For me the deciding factor would be 10 days vs. 8 days. A no brainer for me, I would opt for the longer cruise.

But, I am sure you will have a great time no matter which cruise you choose.

I have been on both ships.

I would stay with the Explorer. The ports that you are visiting on the Explorer are much better. The Explorer is a nicer larger ship than the Miracle.

I was on the Miracle twice and I enjoyed it but I have always been more impressed with Royal Caribbean.

The food on Carnival is slightly better but not enough to make me choose a ship just because of it.

I would like to thank everyone for their input so far, it will go into our decision making process. The length, the ship, the ports, the food, the entertainment, it's all factors in determining which way to go.

Once again, thank you.

I was on the voyager out of Bayonne in 2005, and I've been on the miracle twice. Loved both ships. Love the promenade of the voyager class ships, and the extra entertainment options. Loved the nightly expanded karaoke on the miracle, and also the layout of the spirit class of ship. (I have also been on the Pride, and the Costa Medeterrainia, both of which are spirit class ships as well).

The food on carnival and royal is about equal in my eyes, with carnival having a very slight advantage recently. But that could have also had to do with my most recent RCCLs ship being the enchantment which has a very small not well laid out windjammer.

Good luck with your decision. No doubt you will have a great time no matter which you choose. :)

I've been on both ships and much preferred the Explorer. I thought the Explorer was laid out nicer, was maintained better, had better service and better food. Also, don't forget about the Promenade Cafe - yet another cost free option for food that is open 24 hours.

I'm not a big fan of either Grand Turk (found it be somewhat boring) or Nassau (my least favorite port). I would really love to get back to Bermuda and I would like to get to Labadee someday. So for me, not taking into account the ship, I would still take the Explorer based on the itinerary alone.

I need some help please! I am currently booked on the EOS for a 10 day cruise out of Bayonne at the end of August visiting Bermuda, St Maarten, San Juan, St Thomas and Labadee. The Miracle has an eight day leaving on Labor Day and it goes to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. I am having second thoughts and am thinking of switching. I am a loyal Carnival cruiser, I know that the Miracle just came out of dry dock and having cruised on the Spirit last year, I loved the flow and size of the ship.

Cost wise, the cruises are about the same 90 bucks per day including port and taxes.

With regards to cooked to order options on the Explorer, does the Windjammer Cafe have a pasta station at lunch time? I also read that there is a Mongolian Wok station available at dinner time, is this available every day and what time does it open? Since dinner is at 830, a little stir fry at 530 would be a nice appetizer since I think I am going to be disappointed in the limited lunch choices available on the EOS. Tell me if I am wrong, but it seems like the options are the MDR on sea days, the buffet or paying 4.95 at JR's. Having mainly cruised Carnival, theer are cooked to order options like a deli, the Mongolian Wok, the Burrito Bar, the Grill or 24 hour pizza.

Is there someone that has cruised on both that can sway me one way or another? Thank you very much for your input.

i would choose ten days over 8 in a second

so would i.

I have been on both ships....personally i find the layout of CCLs buffet (at least on the 2 ships i've been on..) a pain in the bottom....

I do not like the layout of that class of ship either, and the crew was, with 1 exception, unhelpful, somewhat lazy (not ALL of them, just a couple) and in a few cases, downright rude on Miracle...truthfully i couldn't WAIT to get off and almost invoked their vacation guarantee.....my server talked me out of that...SHE was terrific...( i had a number of problems with may cabin, and cabin attendants-AMONG other things...)

That said...i also didn't love Grand Turk (we went there as a bonus on EX once...). Nassau isn't bad..but i LOVE Labadee and the other ports on EX.

Food was more similar than not. CCL has a couple things I really liked, while RCI has lots of great choices too. The flow of the ship is better...however, since they're not really the same size it is hard to compare. (I really do NOT like the over-the-top glitz of CCL ships...thus, if i try CCL again, i will wait for the Breeze..-GRAPES should be IN the wine...not all over the dining room:p)

Explorer is brighter, easier to get around and just flows better....

The WIndjammer has a LOT of options for food...and as has been mentioned, there is Cafe Promenade. The buffet opens at 6 i think for dinner...i think the stir fry is a daily offering up there for dinner, though I usually only eat in the WJ once for dinner during a cruise,(this past one, not at all)

Good luck in deciding and i am sure you will have a great time regardless.

I have been on both ships (Explorer twice, and are sailing on her again in May). To us, there is NO comparison. The ship itself is important to us, and we liked the layout, the amenities, the space to passenger ratio, the decor, and the Kid's Club (meaning that the kids remain positively occupied and not running amuck all over the ship) significantly more on Explorer. Our Miracle cruise was our least favorite. Service was very poor - the wait team was responsible for 48 diners (compared to 12-18 on RCI) and our cabin steward had 27 cabins (compared to half as many on RCI), and you can tell the difference! Service was much less personalized and much less attentive on the Miracle.

so would i.

I have been on both ships....personally i find the layout of CCLs buffet (at least on the 2 ships i've been on..) a pain in the bottom....

I do not like the layout of that class of ship either, and the crew was, with 1 exception, unhelpful, somewhat lazy (not ALL of them, just a couple) and in a few cases, downright rude on Miracle...truthfully i couldn't WAIT to get off and almost invoked their vacation guarantee.....my server talked me out of that...SHE was terrific...( i had a number of problems with may cabin, and cabin attendants-AMONG other things...)

That said...i also didn't love Grand Turk (we went there as a bonus on EX once...). Nassau isn't bad..but i LOVE Labadee and the other ports on EX.

Food was more similar than not. CCL has a couple things I really liked, while RCI has lots of great choices too. The flow of the ship is better...however, since they're not really the same size it is hard to compare. (I really do NOT like the over-the-top glitz of CCL ships...thus, if i try CCL again, i will wait for the Breeze..-GRAPES should be IN the wine...not all over the dining room:p)

Explorer is brighter, easier to get around and just flows better....

The WIndjammer has a LOT of options for food...and as has been mentioned, there is Cafe Promenade. The buffet opens at 6 i think for dinner...i think the stir fry is a daily offering up there for dinner, though I usually only eat in the WJ once for dinner during a cruise,(this past one, not at all)

Good luck in deciding and i am sure you will have a great time regardless.

Of all the ships I've been on Celebrity, Princess, Royal and even Carnival this is the only ship I wanted to jump off.

If this was just about the ships......

Im probably one of the few that will say the Miracle but thats my favorite ship size. Just like I love Radiance class over Voyager class.

They never feel crowded and I like the way CCL has 3 elevator banks instead of 2. The shopping mall feel of the Promenade doesnt impress me. I like walking down a promenade and seeing the ocean.

My next cruise is on the Voyager so It isnt I dont like the class of ship I just dont prefer it .

Now saying that the Explorer has 2 extra days. That is one of my complaints about CCL is nothing over 8days. I also think the Itinerary is better on ther Explorer

I would do a 10day over an 8day if the price was similar.

My vote is Explorer! I haven't been on the Explorer, but I've been on her sister ships (Mariner and Adventure) I personally did not like the layout of the Miracle at all, especially in comparison to the Voyager class ships. I think the food is about the same on both....although both of these were a few years ago and things have changed. Plus, food is not that important of a thing for me (I know it matters to others) I think the passenger flow overall is just better on RC, at least from Voyager and up.

Also, the pools are MUCH better on the Explorer then the Miracle!!! I couldn't believe the difference in size, especially the aft pool on the Miracle. Again, this is something that probably doesn't mean a thing to some people, but pools are usually a big part of our cruises.

Have a great cruise no matter which one! I would love to cruise for 10 days....so far our longest is the 8 day on the Miracle. Someday.....

Oh, and by the way-if you ask this on the Carnival boards, it is absolutely amazing to me how many people LOVE the Miracle! I personally don't get it, but for some reason it gets rave reviews over there. I always think there's something wrong with me if I ever mention how I didn't LOVE that ship....

Having been on both ships within the last two years, here's my input:

We felt we totally wasted our money on the Miracle, especially since we paid for 4 people in two balcony cabins. Perhaps it was the time of year (May) or luck of the draw, but the cruise didn't have many positive qualities. We called it the snooze cruise because we were so bored from lack of activities and also at mid-40's, we were about the youngest on board. Average age was 75. Even our teen daughter said it was no comparison to the Explorer. We met a very nice couple in their mid-60's at breakfast one day who said that was their first and last Carnival cruise. They felt the same way we did. We cruised Carnival many years ago and really liked it, but this experience soured us.

Miracle: tacky, ugly design theme, cheap looking, dark, low ceilings, mismatched colors and prints. Buffet was very limited, no ice sculptures or food carvings, lackluster CD, few activities except for the blue and red construction paper and glue sticks touted as "adult arts and crafts". Dining room was COVERED in grapes, even flattened ones on walls that looked like tentacles. My husband said it was like we were being eaten alive by an octupus. However, we loved their warm chocolate melting cake and wish Royal had it. Also, balcony doors slam shut instead of on sliders so you here everyone's around you at all hours. Our crew was fine as was our ports, which made it tolerable.

Explorer: open design concept with Royal Promenade, more modern, many more activities, wonderful buffet in WJ, decor was much more upscale and inviting. Just a much nicer atmosphere and we were sad to leave.

I would do a 10day over an 8day if the price was similar.

The price is the same at about 90 per day with taxes so it's 900 on the Explorer and 700 on the Miracle

Oh, and by the way-if you ask this on the Carnival boards, it is absolutely amazing to me how many people LOVE the Miracle! I personally don't get it, but for some reason it gets rave reviews over there. I always think there's something wrong with me if I ever mention how I didn't LOVE that ship....

I did post the same question over on the Carnival boards, and yes, the Spirit class ships get rave reviews because of their space to passenger ratio, the fact that there are 3 pools and the overall flow of the ship. Also, there is nothing wrong with you for not liking that style of ship. I just hope that you did not get flamed for your opinion, because there are many people on this board that not only imply but outright state that they would never cruise Carnival.

Carnival is not the same line it was 20 years ago with girls pulling ping pong balls out of their bikinis during a Lido deck game. Check out their website and see what the Breeze is going to look like......it's not neon and glitz and over the top.

I did post the same question over on the Carnival boards, and yes, the Spirit class ships get rave reviews because of their space to passenger ratio, the fact that there are 3 pools and the overall flow of the ship. Also, there is nothing wrong with you for not liking that style of ship. I just hope that you did not get flamed for your opinion, because there are many people on this board that not only imply but outright state that they would never cruise Carnival.

Carnival is not the same line it was 20 years ago with girls pulling ping pong balls out of their bikinis during a Lido deck game. Check out their website and see what the Breeze is going to look like......it's not neon and glitz and over the top.

IMHO Carnival hit their stride in the mid to late 90's. They started the down hill trend in the early 2000's. That is why we moved away and never went back.

While the Breeze might have a non Farcus interior, it's still the poorly designed stretched Destiny/Conquest class of ship. Those have been my least favorite ship to ever cruise.

Also the comment about being flamed for stating an opinion about Carnival is no different than the same comments made on the Carnival board about RCI. It goes both ways but for some reason the Carnival fans can't read that.:rolleyes:

While we like both lines, Explorer wins hands down over Miracle. We've been on both ships. They're not in the same size class at all and Explorer has a much smoother ride. In fact, RCI overall rides better than Carnival due to width to length ratios. Because Miracle is smaller, there is less to do on board. Decor normally doesn't bother me, but Miracle's dining room is terrible. Way too much purple and what's supposed to be grapes are light fixtures. We have always thought Carnival has better food than RCI, but they've both lost some ground in that aspect.

Also the comment about being flamed for stating an opinion about Carnival is no different than the same comments made on the Carnival board about RCI. It goes both ways but for some reason the Carnival fans can't read that.:rolleyes:

I can certainly read it Gator...especially after reading a previous post of yours about "Carnivor". While perusing these boards, I get a general feeling that many more loyal RCCL cruisers are snobs that look down at Carnival and that anyone who cruises that line must be trailer trash. I don't think that you're sipping Champagne and eating melted brie on a whole grain baguette at Johnnie Rockets.

Both RCCL and Carnival are mass market cruise lines that are more similar than different and IMHO the pervasiveness of the "we are above Carnival" mantra is nausiating.

I am probably going to stick with my decision to go on the Explorer because I want to expand my horizons and not keep all of my eggs in the Carnival basket. The 4 day appetizer cruise I had pre-Christmas on the Monarch back in 2001 obviously did not give me a true indication about what RC has to offer. With regards to the EOS, it's a great length, I'll visit Bermuda for the first time and St Maartan for only the second time and I will not have to board a plane to get to embarkation. Besides, it'll whet my appetite to go on the Allure sometime in the future, right after I go on the subdued Carnival Breeze....after all, you have to be loyal, right? :rolleyes:

I am probably going to stick with my decision to go on the Explorer because I want to expand my horizons and not keep all of my eggs in the Carnival basket. after all, you have to be loyal, right? :rolleyes:

You will enjoy the Explorer. And @ less than a $100 a day for RCCL thats a good price.

You might miss the great pizza or the freshly grilled burgers or the made to order deli sandwiches on CCL but you wont go hungry on RCCL.

While I was Loyal to CCL for years. RCCL does have a good product but so does NCL. I now cruise them all.. Your on a cruise how bad can it be:D

The price is the same at about 90 per day with taxes so it's 900 on the Explorer and 700 on the Miracle

Oh, I totally agree with you! Our Miracle cruise was actually boring!! We have never, ever been bored on a cruise and I don't think it's a Carnival vs. RC thing. We had a blast on the Magic this year. I do think overall that we just prefer larger ships and the Miracle was the smallest that we've been on...by a pretty large margin. I strongly disagree when people say that Carnival is the party-drunk type crowds...they seem about the same to me on the week long cruises. I would imagine that the shorter ones are bit more party atmosphere overall-including all cruise lines.

I think my biggest complaint of the 2 Carnival ships I've been on (I know, not a lot) is that you have to walk through the buffet to get to the aft pools. It wasn't nearly as bothersome on the Magic, but we didn't head to the aft pool too often on that one. It really bothered me on the Miracle for some reason! It just seems like a funny layout to me.

Archived