Carnival Sunshine???

big_duck

another in agreement on the 1970's Happy name.....what where they thinking:confused: ....can you imagine being in that board room when they brought that name up.....i would of laughed out loud....but my guess is the boss liked the name and everyone afterwords did the...love love love it:eek::eek:...and then gave it a standing ovation and said yes yes....thats wonderful....:p

another in agreement on the 1970's Happy name.....what where they thinking:confused: ....can you imagine being in that board room when they brought that name up.....i would of laughed out loud....but my guess is the boss liked the name and everyone afterwords did the...love love love it:eek::eek:...and then gave it a standing ovation and said yes yes....thats wonderful....:p

Yup, Micky has pretty much said if you don't like the name stuff a hamburger in your mouth.

Aside from the corny juvenile name, I'm in no hurry to sail her. She was already too crowded for my taste to begin with, and with another 160+ cabins, forget it.:rolleyes: Nevermind one of her NOLA itineraries is Key West, Freeport and Nassau...YUCK:rolleyes:

Precisely what came to my mind when I first saw it! GMTA!!!:D

absolutely :D

And clothing optional??? :D

Of course...I will be wearing clothing however...you do not wanna see me nekkid :eek:

I wouldn't go that far as to say it's a big flat tire. The news of the refit and porting in New Orleans made my day! I am so excited! But, the rename is weird.

I'm not the biggest CCL fan these days but even I thought having a nicely re-done ship sailing out of NOLA was a good thing...

But what do I know? I've never sailed the Destiny (Sunshine) and from posts here, she wasn't all that great to start with I gather????

Yup, Micky has pretty much said if you don't like the name stuff a hamburger in your mouth.

Ok, but was it a Guy's burger??? :p

I had always heard that it was bad luck to rename a boat. I don't know if this holds true for a ship or not.

Its definitely BAD LUCK to rename a pleasure craft.

When naming a boat, one is supposed to let the owner's best friend's girl/fiancee/wife SELECT the name.

Renaming a cruise ship signals DESPERATION to me. What's in a name anyway? "A rose by any other name is still a rose . . "

When naming a boat, one is supposed to let the owner's best friend's girl/fiancee/wife SELECT the name.

Renaming a cruise ship signals DESPERATION to me. What's in a name anyway? "A rose by any other name is still a rose . . "

That's it!

The Carnival Desperation! PERFECT!

I'm not the biggest CCL fan these days but even I thought having a nicely re-done ship sailing out of NOLA was a good thing...

But what do I know? I've never sailed the Destiny (Sunshine) and from posts here, she wasn't all that great to start with I gather????

The Destiny is the Triumph/Victory with one less deck.

Looking at the picture in the CC news article posted Laura S., is that a waterfall in the Serenity area? The picture is small, so it's hard to tell. While nearly everyone so far has expressed a dislike for the name change, actually the name "Sunshine" is starting to grow on me a little bit. I'll be eager to see the tropical themed decor for the cabins. I know we won't make it to the Mediterranean for the unveiling, but will definitely make plans for a cruise after she's repositioned to New Orleans.

Looks more like a pool or hot tub.

From the Carnival web site:

Sun deck. On the pool deck, the marquee revamp is the addition of Carnival's first three-deck Serenity space, an adults-only retreat. The space, pictured left, will feature a cascading waterfall.

Wow, did anyone notice that they took the aft pool area out and replaced it with tables and chairs for the buffet??? So now they are down to one pool and small Lido area for all those people?!? No way would I get on that ship now! It will be CHAOS!:eek: If you're lucky enough to score a chair in Serenity, fine, but we all know how the chair hog situation is. Not sure what Carnival is thinking with this one:rolleyes:

Like I said, the last thing CCL needs is bad luck.

Wow, did anyone notice that they took the aft pool area out and replaced it with tables and chairs for the buffet??? So now they are down to one pool and small Lido area for all those people?!? No way would I get on that ship now! It will be CHAOS! If you're lucky enough to score a chair in Serenity, fine, but we all know how the chair hog situation is. Not sure what Carnival is thinking with this one

I guess this is disappointing then...more changes that people feel aren't good ones.

That's a lot of money to be sinking into a ship that people will wind up being uncomfortable on. CCL lacks pool space as it is on their ships.

Again, we are back to the beards caring only for the people who will accept anything because the price is low and the people who are new cruisers and don't know any better.

It's a shame...

Guest LoveMyBoxer

I have NOT read through all the threads, so don't know if this has been mentioned, but RCCL has a Sunshine class ship???? Once upon a blue moon, cruise lines did not name ships with the same name.

Makes sense that they are renaming her, since she will essentially be a "new" ship, this will in no way be the Destiny.

The average cruiser will see this as a new ship. Hopefully the redesign will help correct the reported design flaws.

This seems like a very good business decision, having an almost new ship for 155 million dollars, a fraction of what a new ship would cost. Hopefully some of that money will go into the aged mechanical systems. The upgrades on the Fantasy class ships is a very economical way to breathe life into older vessels and get more years out of them. There has to be a very limited market for "used" cruise ships, with so many ships now sailing, unloading an older ship to a smaller line probably isn't that easy.

The name seems odd to me, but I'm not offended by it.

Jocularity about the horrible name aside, As the first cruise ship in the world over 100,000 tons the Destiny is historic.

Renaming the Destiny would be like Apple renaming the iPod. It is a terrible Corporate decision.

Agree completely. Broke a size record that was held for 58 years!

Makes sense that they are renaming her, since she will essentially be a "new" ship, this will in no way be the Destiny.

The average cruiser will see this as a new ship. Hopefully the redesign will help correct the reported design flaws.

---

Looking at the deck plans, the redesign should help greatly with passenger flow, which will be similar to Spirit Class ships (essentially 2 promenade decks).

The trouble is the increase of ship's capacity by up to 20% depending if all upper berths of the new cabins are used.

Also, the Lido deck's available space has been reduced, along with MDR seating capacity and the main showroom's seating capacity - so these areas will be cramped.

Other than these issues, it looks to be a nice design. Although I would definitely try to sail at the slowest times of the year.

I have NOT read through all the threads, so don't know if this has been mentioned, but RCCL has a Sunshine class ship???? Once upon a blue moon, cruise lines did not name ships with the same name.

This has been pointed out not only here, but on the site that shall not be named.

Having sailed Destiny 3 times and booked next month for a 4th, I have to say we love her for the short cruises. We always book an aft wrap and it's the perfect get-away for us. I really couldn't care less about her name, although I've loved listening to the music links for a "blast from the past" :D. When we spoke to the FCC guy last cruise he told us about the major renovations and we liked the idea. We also have a favorite sister-city - NOLA :D! Having a chance to visit NO & take a cruise is a perfect mix for us. While what everyone says may be true, we really only care about what the experiance is for us. And so far, we love the Destiny and we love NOLA. So, we'll be signing up (after Alaska in 2013). Another cross-off of our bucket list, don'cha know ;)!

I don't think they should change the name. My wife and I actually met on the Destiny so we hate to see the name change. It just doesn't make sense to change the name. Maybe I should have plastic surgery and rename myself! I'm going to get a couple lifts, some botox injections, inplants, and hair replacement.

The worst part is that executives actually sat around and wasted time and money thinking about this! Seems like a waste of time, resources and money. Maybe this is the same team that is going to start working on the platinum benefits now. If that is the case, we are in trouble with the changes to that program.

it's actually bad luck to change the name of a boat /ship:eek:
It's actually fairly common, especially when changing shipping companies. My son's favorite cargo ship started out its life with a different name. And I've seen Great Lakes cargo ships go through any number of name changes with no "adverse effects." (Unlike the Edmund Fitzgerald, which started - and ended - its life with the same name.:() Having said that, I think "Carnival Sunshine" is downright silly.

Archived