Gem itinerary:2 days in nassau due to high winds

navigator71

So my brother just texted from PC in FL that they were told no GSC instead there would be 2 days in Nassau. Would you be happy or sad? Either way it's still in a warm zone compared to the Northeast!!!

Its time for NCL to design a pier which would work for the island.

For me 2 days in Nassau is preferable to another sea day since there are already 3 sea days on that itinerary. I'll be on the Jewel next week and looking forward to GSC, but I can certainly find something fun to do in Nassau again if we encounter similar conditions!

Disappointed at first but a blessing for sure-

Many things to do in Nassau if you leave the ship. And Atlantis would not be one of them.from Day passes to free beach. local lunches shops and such.

tell him to have a blast..:)

Having an over-night in Nassau could be a great opportunity for a good time! In some ways I see it as preferable to an additional sea day, which has happened in the past...

I can enjoy either situation, but I think I would like to see what the nightlife in Nassau is like once.

We had this same opportunity once in Cozumel when we couldnt dock at Costa Maya years ago. It was fantastic having an overnight there...

Much rather be at Great Stirrup Cay than Nassau. Last few times we have just stayed on the ship. The new tendering piers are open. There will never be a docking pier for the ship as the water depth around GSC is too shallow. The problem with missing GSC lies with high winds and making the tendering process to dangerous.

I did get to go to GSC last November, it was nice, but missing it is no big deal I thought after I saw it. I think two days in Nassau is great! I remember I was on the beach in Nassau for my birthday! Doing Disney the end of March but flying in! Trying to remember what I can and can't take on the plane, going on a cruise is so much easier! Looking for one this year!:)

I would be sad if we didnt go to GSC but happy that the ship would be in Nassau 2 days instead

Last time I sailed on the Gem we didnt go to GSC and we didnt dock

I like the 'solitued" of the ship when docked so I had an extra day of crazy with all the people on board lol

We will be on that cruise on the GEM in a few weeks. I would be OK with NCL's decision for 2 days in Nassau. There are more choices there then in GSC. No sense risking lives if the weather is uncooperative! Good call NCL!

Much rather be at Great Stirrup Cay than Nassau. Last few times we have just stayed on the ship. The new tendering piers are open. There will never be a docking pier for the ship as the water depth around GSC is too shallow. The problem with missing GSC lies with high winds and making the tendering process to dangerous.

Do you have any idea how many yards the ships drops anchor off the island

Its time for NCL to design a pier which would work for the island.

Basically, it can't happen at GSC because GSC sits within a protected marine park, and a dock would involve dredging away a section of coral reef and limestone rock in order to get to the required depth for a ship that draws 26 feet of water...

Basically, it can't happen at GSC because GSC sits within a protected marine park, and a dock would involve dredging away a section of coral reef and limestone rock in order to get to the required depth for a ship that draws 26 feet of water...

That makes sense since its in a protected marine habitat..........

But if Disney can dredge 1700 ft maybe....?

Disney is said to have spent US$25 million to develop and outfit the island. Construction took 18 months and included dredging 50,000 truckloads of sand from the depths of the Atlantic Ocean. The pier and its approaches were constructed to allow the Disney ships to dock alongside, thus removing the need for tenders to get the passengers ashore. To create the mooring site for the ships, workers dredged sand and used explosives to blast coral, and form a 1,700-foot (520 m) channel about 35 feet (11 m) deep and ranging from 200 to 400 feet (120 m) wide. The island is still largely undeveloped: only 55 of the 1,000 acres (4.0 km2) are being used.[1]

Archived