Help choosing a transatlantic cruise

Pearl64

We were on the two maiden voyages on the Riviera that got cancelled. We needed to take a breather from planning cruises that did not materialize. But, we are now ready to move forward and are looking at two cruises that have similarities but need some insight from more frequent travelers as to which one might be better. We want information about the itineraries, which one is better, which cruise might be smoother sailing (I know this is very unpredictable), which one will require immunizations (I did look at the CDC and just got confused as the ports were not mentioned), and safety issues. Both cruises leave Barcelona and since we have not been there, we would probably spend a few days prior to embarkation to see Barcelona. Please feel free to comment on the following itineraries:

Nov. 18, 2013 on the Riviera (Is the third time a charm?) 14 days: Barcelona, Tangier, Ponta Delgada in the Azores, King's Wharf in Bermuda, and Miami.

OR

Nove. 20, 2013 on the Marina 18 days: Barcelona, Cartagena in Spain, Gibraltar, Canary Islands, Mindelo in Cape Verde, Recife in Brazil, Salvador in Brazil, Burios in Brazil, and ends with an overnight in Rio de Janeiro.

We will seriously look at Oceania's air this time due to the one ways involved as well as the uncertainties of air pricing. We usually book our own air but will need to look at Oceania's discount vs. their air included price. I know we would need to pay for any deviation and flying out of a nongateway city.

Thanks to all.

Pearl

we did Rome to Rio in Nov-Dec. last year.

The sea was like glass, I have read often that the more southern routes such as our's are better at that time of year.

The weather was great, warm from Gibraltar on, hot in Brazil, spring jacket weather in Barcelona(and the ports we visited prior to Barcelona)

It was our first TA, and I was worried about all the sea days, and what would we do, etc. No problem. Would have enjoyed another day or 2 on board. The most sea days in a row was 4, and there there seemed to be an event for each of those: Country Fair, Crossing Equator ceremony, Tea Dansant, etc.

No immunizations need for Salvador or Brazil, but weren't at the other 2 Brazilian ports.

LOVED IT!

Barcelona is one of our favourite cities so definitely try to spend a few days there if you can.

We haven't done the Rio trip so I can't really help you with the comparison. We did the Marina TA last Novemeber. Tangier was better than we expected but it still didn't appeal that much to us. However, it may depend on your interest in visiting Africa. Bermuda was very nice but it is late in the year. It was realtively cool when we were there. We have been to Cartegena and Gib and enjoyed both ports.

Keep in mind you need a VISA for Brazil

Maybe Yellow fever shot ...check the ports that you hit prior to Brazil to make sure they do not have any YF advisories

US

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1072.html

Canadians

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=38000#tphp

I would do the Riviera cruise if I could ;)

LHT28--what are your reasons for choosing the Riviera one? Your reasons will help with my decision. I will check up on the yellow fever advisories for the previous ports. Do you think the Riviera cruise will have a "rougher" transit than the more southerly one?

Keep the comments coming. Thanks to all.

Pearl

LHT28--what are your reasons for choosing the Riviera one? Your reasons will help with my decision. I will check up on the yellow fever advisories for the previous ports. Do you think the Riviera cruise will have a "rougher" transit than the more southerly one?

Keep the comments coming. Thanks to all.

Pearl

I think the Southern cruise may be less rough

I have no desire to go the Rio ...it is a personal choice

You should choose the one that suits your desires best

Lyn

I would not have any vaccinations for either of those itineraries, it isn't like you are going to be living in the hinterlands or eating much off the ship. I assume that you are talking about things like maleria, typhoid, yellow fever, etc. That said, we always keep our Tetanus up to date (who knows what can happen at home?) and had Hepatitis A shots a few years ago (that can also get you at home). I find the CDC very confusing sometimes, it's called CYA and they are speaking to missionaries, Peace Corps, and other folks living there for a while and eating/drinking from local souces, as well as cruise ships tourists who are only in port for a few hours in most cases.

I would definitely go with the Barcelona to Rio option. First of all, it's four days longer, more time to enjoy the ship. Second it ends in Rio, one of the most spectacular ports in the world. yes, you have to pay attention to where y ou're going but that's the case in any major city in the world. Plus the ports en route, especially those in Brazil are much more interesting imo.

Capecodder: It's not a matter of whether or not YOU would have the immunizations, in some cases, they are required before you can get your Visa for that country. That goes for Brazil but only if you are traveling inland. You would have to check with the CDC for the requirements. But if the immunization is required, you have to have it.

Pearl64: I agree with wripro in regard to the itinerary. Barcelona is wonderful and you should spend a few days there. I think the itinerary is better in the way of ports also. But, in the end, only you can make the final decision. Choose what you think is best for you. Have a wonderful trip no matter which one you select.

As it happens we opted for the Barcelona-Rio cruise, so I definitely prefer it to the Riviera cruise. However, that's largely because we've been to the Riviera ports several times, and most of the Marina ports will be new to us.

We already have a roll call started so if you choose the November 20th cruise, be sure to join us over there! It's awfully early, of course ...

I haven't been to Rio since 1974 but Lyn, back then it was a really fabulous city! I think you would have liked it then ... I don't know about now. From what I have heard, crime is much more serious now. We had absolutely no problems wandering around Rio for a week back then.

Mura

We were on the two maiden voyages on the Riviera that got cancelled. We needed to take a breather from planning cruises that did not materialize. But, we are now ready to move forward and are looking at two cruises that have similarities but need some insight from more frequent travelers as to which one might be better. We want information about the itineraries, which one is better, which cruise might be smoother sailing (I know this is very unpredictable), which one will require immunizations (I did look at the CDC and just got confused as the ports were not mentioned), and safety issues. Both cruises leave Barcelona and since we have not been there, we would probably spend a few days prior to embarkation to see Barcelona. Please feel free to comment on the following itineraries:

Nov. 18, 2013 on the Riviera (Is the third time a charm?) 14 days: Barcelona, Tangier, Ponta Delgada in the Azores, King's Wharf in Bermuda, and Miami.

OR

Nove. 20, 2013 on the Marina 18 days: Barcelona, Cartagena in Spain, Gibraltar, Canary Islands, Mindelo in Cape Verde, Recife in Brazil, Salvador in Brazil, Burios in Brazil, and ends with an overnight in Rio de Janeiro.

We will seriously look at Oceania's air this time due to the one ways involved as well as the uncertainties of air pricing. We usually book our own air but will need to look at Oceania's discount vs. their air included price. I know we would need to pay for any deviation and flying out of a nongateway city.

Thanks to all.

Pearl

Hi, Pearl.

I hope for your sake that the "third time's a charm..."

As to helping you choose...we are getting ready to leave on the Marina for our first Marina cruise and our first TA cruise...and we are already booked for November 2012 from Miami to Rio, going the other way. We are also looking at booking another Oceania cruise in May and then possible the November 2013 Barcelona to Rio as well....

We are excited about going and are all packed...I will post a review when we return. You have some time to make your decision, thankfully....gary

In a sense I have no excuse to post this because we recently canceled a Rio de Janeiro destination cruise on O . My personal reasons aside, the Rio destination has several very big positives and a few negatives. A negative is that you need to purchase an administrative 'visa' assuming you're a US resident. More importantly you need to include the time to visit Iguzu Falls. A friend of mine who recently traveled from US to Antarctica by motorcycle said that a high point, other than the interaction with the locals, Antarctica and the Galapagos themselves, was certainly these falls. He also suggested that if time is short the Brazilian side is visually the most spectacular.

However we have sailed into Hamilton harbour, Bermuda on Regatta and loved it. I assume the O class ships do not sail in that harbour due to their size. Where the R ships dock you simply step off the ship and clear immigration. If they do sail into that harbour you definitely want to be on deck as the sail in and sail out is very beautiful.

As for immunizations, Yellow Fever may need a shot. Though Rio may not require it it may be required by any following destinations. I recently inquired and it is expensive. That said my understanding is that it is good for 10 years. Also over 70 it is less suggested as the reaction from the vaccination can be more severe. So if you're nearing that age and if you might visit an area that requires a Yellow Fever vaccination this may be an opportunity to take the shot.

On a fairly recent cruise we stopped in Tangier where we took a private tour which was enjoyable because of our guide. Otherwise, especially if you've been to Morocco, this would be a good day to visit the Spa for a port day discount.

We've been to Morocco several times.

On the other hand if you're stopping in Funchal, where we also arranged for a private tour, it was wonderful. Since we have been there they have suffered from terrible flooding but it is one of the most beautiful places I have been. The year-round flora is wonderful as was our tour guide.

We have taken several Transatlantics and we enjoy days at sea. We always seem to be busy and have enjoyed the extended relationship with people we met on board.

As for Oceania's air program we have always used it with deviation request and it has worked out well. Oceania has always been very helpful and we've been happy with the options they've given us. I know there are a lot of reasons to not take cruise line air. The pricing and scheduling have always appealed to us. YMMMV

I know this may not help you to make a decision but these are comments based on our experience may help.

Other things being equal (like costs), I would definitely choose Rio. I'm looking at the other crossing right now for my first Oceania trip simply because it's economical. But I love Rio and highly recommend Brazil. But, you do have to get the visa, and yellow fever. I'm surprised that Oceania does not demand that you get this immunization--Regent did when I embarked in Rio several years back.

Archived