Pets

INTERLINER13

What do you do with your pets when you cruise?

Has anyone else ever wondered why cruiselines have not become pet friendly? Im not talking about pets roaming free on the ship. But I thought kennels would be a good idea, and maybe have some play rooms to be able to play with them during the cruise. Obviously, they would not be able to leave the ships in port.

I'm sure that there are a lot of laws preventing pets, but there must be someway to figure this out.

We usually board our dog and cat while we vacation. For our upcoming cruise a family member is watching them. Not for a second would I want cruise ships to be pet friendly! I love our pets to death, however part of vacation is to get away and have no worries. Pets are not welcome in certain places, vacations are one of them....

I have 7 cats and 2 dogs (all rescues). I would never want to take them with me on a cruise. I wouldn't want to have to worry about them. I board the dogs and have a friend come to my house every couple of days to check up on the cats.

I do miss them so much though. I am so used to having a cat or 2 or 3 or 7 sleep with me in bed. It is so weird to wake up to a cat free bed each morning. I think the cat free bed is DH's favorite part of cruising! I must say, I get the best sleep while cruising!

We have 2 furbabies, both cats, 9 and 1 1/2 years old. Last year we boarded the baby because she's chronically ill, and paid someone to come in every couple of days and care for the older cat since she hates to leave home and fares better this way.

This year we are paying a friend to house-sit for the week so the girls won't be separated or alone. :)

We hate to leave our two dogs (both older dogs) and end up boarding them at our Vets. We have no doubt that they are getting really good care but wish they could stay in their home while we are away. We can't find anyone responsible enough to come in and stay with them and we don't have any family in the area. It's easy to leave the two cats as we have a neighbor that we trade "cat duty" with.

My wife and I both agree that it would be nice to have them around on a cruise, especially as they get older. One dog is going blind and the other is getting stiff in her old age. We too realize they could not run the ship.

I think the QEII allows pets.

Our friends or close family are called into service to care for our critters when we cruise. We have both a dog and a cat...and both love animals...but I would never want to go on a cruise where pets are allowed onboard, unless they were confined to cages the entire time...and how much fun for the pet would that be. Can you imagine the logistical problems the cruiseline folks would have to deal with...the pet feeding issues...possible sick pets...possible diseases a pet might have...pet bathroom issues...possible liabilities involved when someones poor little 'Fluffy' gets nervous and bites a passenger or cruise staff..getting them safely on and off the ship..the noise (barking)....the list goes on and on. The cruiseline folks would have to be insane to allow pets. I know a lot of folks think they have perfect pets that 'wouldnt be any trouble'...just like a lot of folks think they have kids who ' would never do something like that'.....but in reality there would be someone who would bring along a problem pet...and then it would hit the fan. :)

We have five furbabbies two dogs and three cats. Since we live in Memphis we are able to take our dogs to Camp Bow Wow(there are others across the country), they seems to enjoy this place over a standard kennel. Camp Bow Wow really does a great job and would recommend them to anyone. The cats don't go anywhere they get to stay home and we will have a family member come visit them every day for an hour or so.

We love our 12 year old Shadow to death. He is blind in one eye and cannot see very well out of the other one BUT I cannot imagine taking him on a cruise. He only weights 7 lbs BUT he is not trained to use the human toliet so, that would be a problem. Right now we will have him stay with son and family. He has a doggie door but is too much a human to be left alone for over a week. Will miss him.......

Our son will be staying here watching our spoiled little Yorkie!! She gets so upset when we leave - I don't get suitcases out til the night before we leave because she sees them and starts whining! Breaks our hearts! So I then hurry and pack and then cover up the suitcase! Lol!

Happy Cruisin!!

Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our son will be staying here watching our spoiled little Yorkie!! She gets so upset when we leave - I don't get suitcases out til the night before we leave because she sees them and starts whining! Breaks our hearts! So I then hurry and pack and then cover up the suitcase! Lol!

Happy Cruisin!!

Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WOW, that's all I have to say about that! :eek:

Cunard's Queen Mary 2 has kennels on their transatlantic crossings. You can play with your dog or cat on the special enclosed deck (I think the cats stay inside in the kennel area). There is a special kennel crew member too! Space if limited though. Its fun to watch dogs playing in the afternoons in the middle of the Atlantic.

We are lucky enough to have kids that are old enough and also animal lovers :) We have two dogs, 6 cats and 20 horses to care for, so it is a big project. I will have to hire someone for the cruise we are taking with all the kids, which I imagine will be pretty pricey.

I would love to take the Shih Tzu with us, but I sure see why it would be difficult.

We have 5 dogs--all around 3 years old. We've got a great dogsitter that stays with them every night, and exercises them everyday. I've thought about having them with us on a cruise. All of them sleep in our room, so we do miss them we're going to sleep and when we wake up.

Our dogs go to dog camp. As nice as a human vacation... They have separate small and big dog play areas with a waterfall and cool boulders to stand on (my girl dog loves to monitor all the other dogs). They have activities and nap times and all kinds of fun. We always talk about we would want to stay there! There are pics on their website if you want to see an amazing place at the top of Topanga Canyon, it's called Canyon View Ranch.

We have two dogs (goldens), one guinea pig (refuses to die... 8 years old), and a hedgehog. I know, weird array of animals. We pay a neighbor to watch the smaller animals and bring the dogs to my brother's house. He has a big property and three dogs, so it works out.

We have a little cockapoo that we board at the dog kennel when we are gone. She does fine there now, but the first time we left her there, several years ago, she was mad at us when we picked her up. She turned her head away from us and wouldn't look at us for a couple of hours. Then she was back to normal and happy to see us. She was so funny.

When we leave her there, they ask if we want to pay for extra playtime. We always have, until the last time when we were on a tight budget and I said no. When we went to pick her up, the lady at the kennel said she was so friendly to the staff that everyone wanted to play with her, so she got her extra play time for free! I had to laugh. When someone comes up to her, she stands on her hind legs and flaps her front paws till they pay attention to her.

Archived