Last day of Monarch of the seas announced

When a ship retires like this does the crew have the opportunity to stay with it if they want? I am sure that they will drydock it to change things but I just wandered where it is a sister company to RCCI if current crew was given the chance to stay with the ship if they wanted to? :confused:

crew does not stay with the ship. RCI invested too much in their training for a RCI product to just let them go work for Pullmantur. There is no TA for Monarch to Spain. She sails from Freeport after her refit as a Pullmantur ship and I imagine that is a shakedown for the new crew.

Royal Caribbean International's oldest cruise ship, the Monarch of the Seas, will transfer out of the fleet in April 2013.

Built in 1991, the 2,390-passenger ship will be transferred to Royal Caribbean's Madrid-based sister company, Pullmantur Cruises, on April 1, 2013.

The Monarch currently sails three- and four-night round-trip Bahamas cruises from Port Canaveral. It will embark on its last sailing for Royal Caribbean on March 29, 2013.

Royal Caribbean said a potential replacement for the ship's short Bahamas product would be announced in the coming months.

"She will go on creating wonderful travel memories through her final sailings for our brand through next March and then continue doing the same for Pullmantur's guests," said Adam Goldstein, president and CEO of Royal Caribbean International, in a statement.

The Monarch will increase Pullmantur's total guest capacity by nearly 25%, and bring the Spanish line's fleet of former Royal Caribbean Cruises family ships to five. The line currently operates the Monarch's sister-ship, the former Sovereign of the Seas, as well as the former Empress of the Seas, Celebrity Zenith and Celebrity Horizon.

With the reduction, Royal Caribbean will have 21 cruise ships. The line said that it has not booked anyone on the ship after March 2013, so there's no need to re-accommodate any passengers

Wonder which ship will replace Monarch?

Definitely will miss Monarch

I'm reallygoing to try and head over the pond for the final sailing, would be great to see her off. I remember doing the old cruise the Monarch did out of San Juan and have done her Bahamas route a few times. Beautiful ship with a lot of history. Hopefully the replacement follows her departure swiftly and I might try to get on the replacements first sailing

She sails from Freeport after her refit as a Pullmantur ship and I imagine that is a shakedown for the new crew.

Has this been announced? If so I missed it.

Why would they not use a European company for refit?

RCCL does a lot of business with that Freeport drydock/shipyard. Prices and work quality must be acceptable there. Monarch has been there before, as were Majesty and Sovreign many, many times. They have all the experience re-fitting this class of ship.

R&D

Has this been announced? If so I missed it.

Why would they not use a European company for refit?

RCCL does a lot of business with that Freeport drydock/shipyard. Prices and work quality must be acceptable there. Monarch has been there before, as were Majesty and Sovreign many, many times. They have all the experience re-fitting this class of ship.

R&D

Probably another deciding factor.

From RCI's 10K...

In support of our maintenance programs, we own a 40% interest in a ship repair and maintenance facility, Grand Bahama Shipyard Ltd., which is the largest cruise ship dry-dock repair facility in the world and is located in Freeport, Grand Bahamas. We utilize this facility, among other ship repair facilities, for our regularly scheduled drydocks and certain emergency repairs as may be required. In addition, the facility serves unaffiliated cruise and cargo ships, oil and gas tankers, and offshore units.

{QUOTE}: From RCI's 10K...

In support of our maintenance programs, we own a 40% interest in a ship repair and maintenance facility, Grand Bahama Shipyard Ltd., which is the largest cruise ship dry-dock repair facility in the world and is located in Freeport, Grand Bahamas. We utilize this facility, among other ship repair facilities, for our regularly scheduled drydocks and certain emergency repairs as may be required. In addition, the facility serves unaffiliated cruise and cargo ships, oil and gas tankers, and offshore units. {UNQUOTE}

{QUOTE}: From RCI's 10K...

In support of our maintenance programs, we own a 40% interest in a ship repair and maintenance facility, Grand Bahama Shipyard Ltd., which is the largest cruise ship dry-dock repair facility in the world and is located in Freeport, Grand Bahamas. We utilize this facility, among other ship repair facilities, for our regularly scheduled drydocks and certain emergency repairs as may be required. In addition, the facility serves unaffiliated cruise and cargo ships, oil and gas tankers, and offshore units. {UNQUOTE}

Most don't know about their airplanes either.:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Pullmantur

• 2 weeks later...
I looked up the last sailing and for me to travel as a solo, it was $768 ... about a 220% markup.

I'll pass.

I am also booked on the last cruise.......not only is it the last one,but it is Easter that weekend,so Im sure that has to do with the markup!:eek:

Archived