Price drop not good for me....

I am still happy about my cruise, I just wish I had the flexibility to wait. I do think prices drop within the final payment window. Now I just need to figure out if it is worth booking an inside and waiting to upgrade or drive to a port. I would be miserable in an inside with 4 peoplle so I am not sure it is worth it. Is this normal, the price drops after spring break? I was thinking it could have something to do with Concordia but not sure.

It sure sounds like there are alot of RCCL cheerleaders out there. I don't understand the dissension. Pure & simple, price drops should be honored.

We allow businesses to treat us this way, they will continue. Time for a change.

But this is how cruises work in most lines. This is the standard and it is what we have accepted as the norm for the lack of increase in prices over the years. This is also how hotels work and airlines and just about anything else you buy. I cannot get $500 back on the TV I bought 4 years ago just because it's now sellig for $495 instead of the original $995 I paid. Many stores offer you 30 days policy on price drops and that is it... so why should a cruiseline be any different?

I am in the same boat as the op. I booked on the Carnival Sensation last Friday. Monday afternoon the rate went down $70. I was posses. I class amd like above, nothing they could do. I just wrote a letter to guest assistance amd copied Mick Raison. IMO, they could already give us an OBC for the difference.

I have cruised on Carnival 3 times and elected to continue to cruise with them. If i buy a TV at Best Buy one week and the next it goes on sale, I get the difference in credit. There is no difference.

If i buy a TV at Best Buy one week and the next it goes on sale, I get the difference in credit. There is no difference.

However there is a huge difference between 1 week and 40 weeks later, so it is not the same thing in the OPs case. I'm going to guess that with only 25 days left until sailing this has been booked for a lot longer than 1 or 2 weeks.

It sure sounds like there are alot of RCCL cheerleaders out there. I don't understand the dissension. Pure & simple, price drops should be honored.

We allow businesses to treat us this way, they will continue. Time for a change.

Bella

I do not have a problem with this policy. If you book early you can get a price drop before final payment and you get your choice of cabin. There is also a chance that the cruise price will go up. Are you willing for them to charge you the difference for this situation.

I saw there was a price drop so I called CS and was told because we are only 25 days out they could not do a price adjustment....but...if there were any upgrades available they would give me an upgrade...well no upgrades were available....I realize this isn't one of their premire ships and its short cruise..but even a small OBC would of been nice.....not saying i'll never do business with RCL...but...i've been on the fence between them and NCL for my next one...guess who i'm sailing with next time....
NCL doesn't honor price drops after final payment either.

However there is a huge difference between 1 week and 40 weeks later, so it is not the same thing in the OPs case. I'm going to guess that with only 25 days left until sailing this has been booked for a lot longer than 1 or 2 weeks.

Agreed. In my case the deposit was due day of booking then the full amount the next day...due to timing of cruse. In this case I was hosed since Carnival had a 'sale' staring 2 days later...

I will report back to let you know what I hear. I except a difference refunded in OBC but we'll see....

You may consider this "rude or snarky" but I do not.

I really do wonder why people post these things in the first place. There's a clear policy, and it's TS. I buy something, a car, a TV, a phone, whatever. The price will change. I'm not pitching a fit because of other price changes. That's life. You buy something, for a variety of reasons, but, in the end you need to be satisfied with the price. If it goes down, oh well, that's life.

Besides, I have yet to see a single post where, the price goes up and the poster wants to GIVE Royal the difference.

I totally agree! Yes it sucks that the policy changed. Before the change we were fortunate to get an OBC with a price drop - and we have also lost out with a price drop after the change. That's life.

We recently booked our airfare overseas for a 7 night on the Liberty and the prices have been going up and down. We booked when we thought it was at lowest and were nervous that with the gas prices - it was going to shoot back up. Well - it went down. The airline will make the change for us for $75 pp each way! Thats $600 for the 4 of us to save $500. It sucks - but oh well what can you do!!!

It sure sounds like there are alot of RCCL cheerleaders out there.

Uhhh cheerleaders? You must have not have been around here when this policy went into effect almost two years ago. NO ONE here liked it one bit so it has nothing to do with "cheerleading"

However, most of us have accepted this new policy and have moved on. We know we are not entitled to OBC or a reduction in price if the cruise fare drops after final payment..........we can only get an upgrade if available.

The OP has been a member here since 2008. I find it hard to believe he didnt know of this policy. Something about it is posted around here at least a few times a week.

My upcoming cruise is 280.00 per person MORE for the category of cabin I selected than when I booked it months ago. I sure am glad RCI isnt coming after me for the difference like we go after them for price drops!

Just sayin

Bella

Tell that to the airlines.

Uhhh cheerleaders? You must have not have been around here when this policy went into effect almost two years ago. NO ONE here liked it one bit so it has nothing to do with "cheerleading"

However, most of us have accepted this new policy and have moved on. We know we are not entitled to OBC or a reduction in price if the cruise fare drops after final payment..........we can only get an upgrade if available.

The OP has been a member here since 2008. I find it hard to believe he didnt know of this policy. Something about it is posted around here at least a few times a week.

My upcoming cruise is 280.00 per person MORE for the category of cabin I selected than when I booked it months ago. I sure am glad RCI isnt coming after me for the difference like we go after them for price drops!

Just sayin

OMG. These boards are very useful for first timers and old timers. When did it become so nasty and hypocritical. You were a first timer at one point. I sure hope you didn't ask silly questions or display any type of despair on these boards. I thought that is what they were for was to get info and talk about stuff. I personally don't care if something has been posted and asked a thousand times. You can tell who the first time people are and I am personally excited for them when they start asking the questions. I love to answer them when I scan this place every afternoon to see whats going on. But I got to tell you, it is starting to feel not like such a great place. Whether it's been asked and answered you don't have to respond at all if you don't like the question don't jump into the pool. People just have to get in there and get those jabs in and I don't understand it. This was a fun place to get all that exciting info about a cruise. Have I complained on here. Yes, but about a huge price drop of $700 that I couldn't take advantage of. Was I attacked, YES I was. Just a question for you. If you bought a car and your brother bought the EXACT same car from the SAME salesman and he paid $2,000 less than you did. Are you telling me that you wouldn't contact that dealer and find out if you could get a refund for the difference or credit for a fancier car. That would tick me off. If not you then you have all the money in the world to throw around. I don't have that luxury.

. If you bought a car and your brother bought the EXACT same car from the SAME salesman and he paid $2,000 less than you did. Are you telling me that you wouldn't contact that dealer and find out if you could get a refund for the difference or credit for a fancier car.

Yawn.....OMG!......try comparing apples to apples next time.

Yawn.....OMG!......try comparing apples to apples next time.

Yawn. That's so original. Move on from that saying. There is enough going on in this country right now that people don't need to be so rude. Really!!!!! You don't like the original questions, don't jump into the pool. And yes it it is apples to apples. I quess you don't get it:rolleyes:

Well, the bottom line is that the cruiseline has a policy whether we like it or not. If we don't like it, we can choose to take our business elsewhere - although it pretty much seems to be the industry standard now. If we choose to book with Royal knowing it's policy and agreeing to it, we have no business complaining either to the cruiseline or on these boards.

FWIW, you couldn't pay me to cruise on NCL.

Yawn. That's so original. Move on from that saying. There is enough going on in this country right now that people don't need to be so rude. Really!!!!! You don't like the original questions, don't jump into the pool. And yes it it is apples to apples. I quess you don't get it:rolleyes:

I get it just fine and if you will actually LOOK you will see that i was one of the ones that was nice to the OP with my reply about price drops. :rolleyes:

Go spread your sermon somewhere else to someone that might actually care. I suggest you take your own advice and if you dont like what I have to say, IGNORE and move on!

Alrighty then? Bye bye now!

I personally don't care if something has been posted and asked a thousand times. You can tell who the first time people are and I am personally excited for them when they start asking the questions. I love to answer them when I scan this place every afternoon to see whats going on. But I got to tell you, it is starting to feel not like such a great place. Whether it's been asked and answered you don't have to respond at all if you don't like the question don't jump into the pool. People just have to get in there and get those jabs in and I don't understand it. This was a fun place to get all that exciting info about a cruise. Have I complained on here. Yes, but about a huge price drop of $700 that I couldn't take advantage of. Was I attacked, YES I was.

Couple of points. I do care when people ask the same questions day after day. There's a search function for a reason. Would it kill people to at least scan the most recent topics, just to see if their question has already been asked, and answered?

I can't speak to your specific thread, but, I don't see any attack here. Just because everybody is not cuddling with this person does not mean they are attacking him/her. You ask a question, in a public forum, don't expect everybody to be sympathetic. If your skin is so thin that you can't handle it then don't ask. It's a free country. Start your own cruise site and make your own rules.

Well, the bottom line is that the cruiseline has a policy whether we like it or not. If we don't like it, we can choose to take our business elsewhere - although it pretty much seems to be the industry standard now. If we choose to book with Royal knowing it's policy and agreeing to it, we have no business complaining either to the cruiseline or on these boards.

FWIW, you couldn't pay me to cruise on NCL.

I totally agree with you. I did not know about policy and when it when into effect. I haven't cruised since November 2010 due to health issues. So in my situation when I called about $700 i was told no refund and that was totally understandable. I didn't know about the obc. They had said that if there was an upgrade they could move me and there wasn't.

Some people new to the board or old to the boards shouldn't be so hard on the people that do ask the questions. Just because some of you are seasoned on cruises and think you know everything that goes on onboard ship and on these boards shouldn't be so hard on the people that aren't so knowledgable. For god sake these boards were made available for people to ask questions or to share their experiences on the ships. Sorry we are aren't up to date on all the policies and dates. Ease up. If you don't like the main question, don't jump into the pool and drown them with all the negativity. I'm done with this conversation. It's been beat to death like an old rug.

I get it just fine and if you will actually LOOK you will see that i was one of the ones that was nice to the OP with my reply about price drops. :rolleyes:

Go spread your sermon somewhere else to someone that might actually care. I suggest you take your own advice and if you dont like what I have to say, IGNORE and move on!

Alrighty then? Bye bye now!

WOW. :eek:. R u one of those people who come to CC and look for a fight. It seems :D

Since RCCL and other cruise lines frequently change their policies. I hope RCCL give some consideration to allow a credit towards a future cruise when their is a price drop. Not all cruisers are aware of price drops but certainly many repeat customers are.

Southwest airlines does a great job of allowing you to use a price drop credit towards a future flight and I would think RCCL could do something similar.

That is an excellent idea. We lost $600 on our last Eclipse cruise due to a price drop. I hope they do that in the future. They know that repeat cruises will keep coming back. I'm getting smarter on the prices, more so than I ever was. I will make sure my next cruise is done right. :)

Same could be said about you... you're the one making the pokes and attempting to call people out. :)

Sorry, i'm not the one who started the "pokes". Read all the posts and find out how the person that asked the question has gotten attacked. Then come back to me and say that.

Price reductions only available up until Final Payment and after that only an upgrade if a cabin category higher than what you are booked in is priced the same as or lower than what you paid.

OK, I guess if I searched I could find this answer, but.....I thought you could "upgrade" after final payment if you were willing to pay the difference. For example, you paid $800 for a balcony cabin. They drop prices to fill the ship and find the JS for $825. Can't you just pay the extra $25 and move up?

The cost of our JS went up and then WAY down a few days after final payment. We ended up paying exactly $1000 more than people who recently booked. However, we made the decision to book the JS at the price we were quoted, and we knew the rules about price drop. That still doesn't mean we are happy. No one is happy to be paying more than the next fellow....especially when $1000 is the difference.

In the future, I think I'll start doing what others have suggested: book a stateroom in a lower category and then wait it out. There are cruises (Transatlantic's, for example) that normally do not sell out until after final payment and RCI normally does a big reduction. I just didn't play it smart this time, but now I know. :)

Archived