Day Wear

Firstimecruiser2012

I too love to dress for dinner, and one of the things that is particularly important to me is that SS continues to enforce the dress code - jackets for gentlemen at dinner except on informal evenings. Of course itinerary has something to do with it - which is fine with me - but an all casual ship doesn't appeal to me. Compliance with established standards elevates the entire experience IMO.

I can usually spot what I think is a first time cruiser because they seem to wear a fashionable new outfit every day, as did I when I first started cruising. I'm not criticizing, just stating my observation. However, I just checked a photo album from 1996 (Silver Wind Rome/Athens) and I have on the same evening top that I wore on the Cloud in March 2012. Which perhaps proves the point that most folks don't pay any attention to what I wear as long as it's neat and clean and doesn't scare the horses.....;)

Mary Ann, we love you and agree completely. And, you have left us in stitches! Let's sail together again soon! We board the Cloud next Tuesday and will try to post.

Debbie and Dieter

[quote=Wellseasoned;33314359. ... you have left us in stitches! Let's sail together again soon! We board the Cloud next Tuesday and will try to post.

Debbie and Dieter

Well you've made my day friends ! I know you're booked on this one and wish I could be too ! Will be watching for your posts.

Dusababy.....aka

Wish I could had a "cruise clothes" guest room too! Wouldn't it be heavenly if Silversea could provide storage service and just haul everything out for us when we board??!!! Now THAT would be all-inclusive cruising! Oh, my heart is all aflutter just thinking about it.

I agree that dress can vary according to itinerary. We've been on about 10 Silversea cruises since 2000. On 2 Caribbean trips (2007), dress was more casual than in Europe; only half of the men in tuxedos, etc. The Cruise Director said the Caribbean is always more casual than Europe, for example, in part because the cruises are short, close to the U.S., less expensive - attracting younger passengers, people with experiences on other lines, etc. (this was him speaking, not me).

Silversea has also had to make adjustments since the travel downturn. In 2000 it was hard to find a 7-day voyage for our first cruise; most were 12-16 days. Today it's the reverse. The longer cruises probably attract many more retired or semi-retired passengers, who have time for travel, whereas today's shorter itineraries make cruising possible for a wider range of travelers who can more easily fit it into their schedule. Hooray for Silversea for continuing to attract a new generation of cruisers!

Wish I could had a "cruise clothes" guest room too! Wouldn't it be heavenly if Silversea could provide storage service and just haul everything out for us when we board??!!! Now THAT would be all-inclusive cruising! Oh, my heart is all aflutter just thinking about it.

I agree that dress can vary according to itinerary. We've been on about 10 Silversea cruises since 2000. On 2 Caribbean trips (2007), dress was more casual than in Europe; only half of the men in tuxedos, etc. The Cruise Director said the Caribbean is always more casual than Europe, for example, in part because the cruises are short, close to the U.S., less expensive - attracting younger passengers, people with experiences on other lines, etc. (this was him speaking, not me).

Silversea has also had to make adjustments since the travel downturn. In 2000 it was hard to find a 7-day voyage for our first cruise; most were 12-16 days. Today it's the reverse. The longer cruises probably attract many more retired or semi-retired passengers, who have time for travel, whereas today's shorter itineraries make cruising possible for a wider range of travelers who can more easily fit it into their schedule. Hooray for Silversea for continuing to attract a new generation of cruisers!

I think we are like many people (baby boomers!). Our kids are out of the house, or at least in college, so we are looking to take "adult" vacations. However, since we are still employed, we are limited to the shorter cruises. I long for the day when I can take a 30 day cruise!

We are booked on our first Silversea cruise in 2013 and are very much looking forward to it!

I remember news on RedheadedNancy postings on her Seabourn LA to Sydney voyage of a lady on board who not only had Seabourn make additional wardrobe space but had a highly sophisticated system listing all her outfits and when she was wearing them!

Yikes - I think my DH would have a fit! ;):D

Hard enough to persuade him that another pair of shoes doesn't make much difference! LOL!

I'm another with a cruise wardrobe. All my evening dresses have already done several Silversea cruises and will be doing a couple more in the future. Who knows? You don't always cruise with the same ship of guests.

After reading this thread, I am wondering if we made a mistake booking our first Silversea next Jan. We live in the mtns of Colorado (40 miles from Aspen), and dressing up here is very different from urban areas or places with country clubs - we do not have those.

We have sailed on Regent and Seabourn. My DH has a black suit and looks wonderful, he would never buy a tux nor would I, at my age, wear a long gown. Maybe need to rethink this trip.

Patti22

no please don't rethink a fabulous silver sea cruise. Your DH won't need a tux - our on voyage, maybe 50/50 tux v dark suits.

And don't you think for one minute that all of the girls were in long gowns either! There was a real mix of shorter cocktail type dresses, cocktail suits, evening trousers and yes sparkly tops - so ignore poster who rather stuffily suggested that donning of such an outfit would exclude you from SS!

In fact a couple of my favourite evening outfits are evening trousers - usually black as that will do me a few evenings - and long beaded jackets.

As for our cruise "wardrobes", well speaking of mine, I do have clothes that I only wear on holiday, mainly because we don't go to that many formal occasions at home, and like Ging466 have clothes that "travel" well! Like you - I am guessing here - my at home day to day wardrobe consists mainly of comfy and warm trousers, fleece jackets, in fact anything dog proof!

We live in the north of Scotland in a tiny village, so country club style aroud here is quite alien to us too!

Really what I am saying to you is wear what you are comfortable in and honestly Patti22, the people we met on SS were much more interested in you than what you were wearing! :)

Whatever you wore on SB or Regent will be just fine and dandy, MrsPatti22 for your SS voyage! I pretty much had the same clothes on our recent SB that I wore our SS the year before! (well with a few new additions but we don't tell the DH about them ;):D)

After reading this thread, I am wondering if we made a mistake booking our first Silversea next Jan. We live in the mtns of Colorado (40 miles from Aspen), and dressing up here is very different from urban areas or places with country clubs - we do not have those.

We have sailed on Regent and Seabourn. My DH has a black suit and looks wonderful, he would never buy a tux nor would I, at my age, wear a long gown. Maybe need to rethink this trip.

No no don't rethink the trip. You'll be perfectly fine -- he in his dark suit and you in perhaps some evening trousers and a sparkly or evening top. I've worn a long gown on one SS trip and I have been on many -- otherwise it's fancy pants (think palazzo) or black silk pants.

Don't deny yourself a first Silversea trip because you're wary of not being properly dressed. As previously stated -- neat and clean and appropriate.

Patti22

no please don't rethink a fabulous silver sea cruise. Your DH won't need a tux - our on voyage, maybe 50/50 tux v dark suits.

And don't you think for one minute that all of the girls were in long gowns either! There was a real mix of shorter cocktail type dresses, cocktail suits, evening trousers and yes sparkly tops - so ignore poster who rather stuffily suggested that donning of such an outfit would exclude you from SS!

In fact a couple of my favourite evening outfits are evening trousers - usually black as that will do me a few evenings - and long beaded jackets.

As for our cruise "wardrobes", well speaking of mine, I do have clothes that I only wear on holiday, mainly because we don't go to that many formal occasions at home, and like Ging466 have clothes that "travel" well! Like you - I am guessing here - my at home day to day wardrobe consists mainly of comfy and warm trousers, fleece jackets, in fact anything dog proof!

We live in the north of Scotland in a tiny village, so country club style aroud here is quite alien to us too!

Really what I am saying to you is wear what you are comfortable in and honestly Patti22, the people we met on SS were much more interested in you than what you were wearing! :)

Whatever you wore on SB or Regent will be just fine and dandy, MrsPatti22 for your SS voyage! I pretty much had the same clothes on our recent SB that I wore our SS the year before! (well with a few new additions but we don't tell the DH about them ;):D)

Very good to hear! We also have our first Silverseas cruise booked and I would really prefer not to wear a long gown. I have them for those occasions when I have no choice but, since I am only 5'2" I am much more comfortable in a cocktail length dress.

Thanks to all for your kind comments. I am reassured that my SB clothing will be fine (of course,always looking for a new fancy top). I sing in a formal chorus so have long black skirts and flowing pants. Good to hear that they are okay. We had 2 formal nts on SA trip in Jan. and people looked great and the clothing was a mix of formal and what I consider semi-formal. So, I guess the cruise is ON.

I am getting nervous reading this thread about clothes. I have been on Oceania and Azamura the last couple of years and they have no formal nights. We are going on the SS Shadow on Wed and I am getting ready to pack. I guess I will have to go into my "old cruise closet' and bring out some good packing gowns. I am looking forward to trying out this line.

Does my other half have to wear a jacket every night?

Your cruise documents, as well as the SS website, should give you some guidance regarding dress. For formal, I believe it is recommended that men wear a tux or dark suit. For informal, a jacket is suggested (and most men seem to wear a tie as well). On the casual nights some men wear sports coats and some do not, depending on individual preference and perhaps age.

As our cruises have gotten a bit longer, I stopped packing gowns and have been bringing my cocktail dresses and they work just as well on formal nights and take up less space.

If you don't want to go the formal route you can always make reservations in the other restaurant or do room service. If it is warm, I believe you can make reservations to eat under the stars. I think it may be too chilly for us to do that, however. We are on the May 30th Copenhagen to London on the Cloud.

No He does not . But it was semi one night I forgot and did not bring a jacket so they had a few there just put it over my shoulders and the over the back of the chair . On Casual night no jackets are needed , Some do but most do not.

Had I read this thread prior to sailing on Silversea, we would have missed a wonderful experience because we would have cancelled. People who feel like dressing up in very formal wear will no doubt look lovely. However, there will be an equal number of men in black suits and ladies in the type of attire described above (not gowns). And, IMO, we all look great as well:)

We sail Silversea for the itineraries, excellent service and great food. Our two cruises have been great (we have another booked next year). So, go on your cruise(s) and enjoy everything has to offer and don't worry. As long as you follow the dress code, you'll be fine.

Archived