Ridiculous scene of chair hogging on serenity/Carnival needs to wake up

Universe93B

I'm not a sunbather...so really don't have a dog in this fight...but I have to say>>> I can't stop looking at the picture 'cause I wan't to be on a cruise ship so bad.:(:(

I'm gonna go look at previous cruise photos...

We just got off the Magic today. The Beach Pool (Lido/Mid) never had a problem finding chairs. We spent two days up there, had great spots, even room in the cabanas.

My problem with taking the towels that people leave is I feel stealing is way worse than chair hogging ;) And taking the towel at the other cabins expense is stealing.

When all available chairs are taken by humans and inanimate objects, humans always take precedent over inanimate objects. They get removed, and I make myself king of my chair.

I like someone's recent suggestion of taking a picture of the chair with a time stamp. If they show up within 15 minutes, I would probably move. Anything longer than that, if they start to complain, I will let them know of my evidence.

Most often than not, though, I drop the stuff and move the chair. This eliminates any chance of confrontation.

Like both of those suggestions! Picture and move chair...:D

Maybe a couple towel presents for the family back home too :p

(tongue in cheek only, I do not believe in stealing)

We just got off the Magic today. The Beach Pool (Lido/Mid) never had a problem finding chairs. We spent two days up there, had great spots, even room in the cabanas.

My problem with taking the towels that people leave is I feel stealing is way worse than chair hogging ;) And taking the towel at the other cabins expense is stealing.

I wouldn't "take them", I'd simply "remove them". They would be on a nice pile behind the chair I am now occupying.

I have never had many problems, I don't like the main pool...I guess more people now find the Serenity area (the way some peeps finally find fish and chips on the last days?)

I do wonder...what do you DO while you are waiting for the 30 minutes or so? that sounds really boring...do you stand there? perch on a chair?

??

I do think the idea of moving the chair away IF you move off the towels is a good idea....<grin> less confrontational

I hope you do show this picture and others to John Heald

I do wonder what they would "suggest"??

After a long time of searching on our spring break cruise on the Valor we found two chairs on deck 10. There was a family sitting next to us: a mom, a dad and a daughter. After a few minutes they got up from their chairs in the sun and crossed the aisle to sit in chairs in the shade that they had reserved with towels and magazines. They left items on the chairs in the sun to keep them reserved. Unbelievable!

I encountered the exact same thing last summer on the Ecstasy's Serenity area. My daughter and I were in chairs on the second row. Just in front of us, a woman and her husband were in chairs w/the umbrella. They also had a chair next to them in the sun reserved. The man was gone about 90% of the time, but she would tell everyone that came up "Those chairs are saved" (one with a towel, one with a book). I stay disgusted at chair hogs, but even more so with Carnival for failing do anything about this epidemic. ;)

It depends on how you look at it... If they didn't want the towels to walk off, they wouldn't leave them unattended.

Would you leave $20.00 sitting on a chair all day unattended?

I was on Victory last month and got out to the pool area a bit late. I found a girl vacating her seat and promptly sat down. Another girl (a bit inebriated) immediately went off on me saying "that's our chair!" Apparently there were a group of them and even though this one girl was vacating the chair I was supposed to get up and leave it for the phantom person who would be sitting in it....which I didn't. She kept at me, but her boyfriend/husband quieted her down after she said "they're going to be back soon and you're going to have to move." Well, I spent the next 3+ hours there and didn't see anyone come back.:rolleyes:

I am going on my first cruise in October, I am hoping that I won't have to deal with this, but can I tip one of the staff to remove the towel, book etc. for me?

You can ask, but they don't usually do anything....mostly you are on your own.

The only reason this is beating a dead horse is because Carnival and it's so called Ambassador don't give a flip about anything except filling up the ship and selling their garbage. We should have to do none of the things mentioned on this thread...we should expect to walk to any empty seat and help ourselves. And all seats without a body in it is empty, towels and books and whatever else do not count, period. It is really a simple issue.

How about sending a link to this thread to Mickey Arison for his response on how to handle this situation. If you should receive a reply from him print off and take with you on your next cruise to present to appropriate personnel for action. They don't like anything from corporate which might make them send a towel remover. :cool:

It depends on how you look at it... If they didn't want the towels to walk off, they wouldn't leave them unattended.

Would you leave $20.00 sitting on a chair all day unattended?

Most people who take things that don't belong to them have the rationale all worked out, so they can still sleep at night;)

The only reason this is beating a dead horse is because Carnival and it's so called Ambassador don't give a flip about anything except filling up the ship and selling their garbage. We should have to do none of the things mentioned on this thread...we should expect to walk to any empty seat and help ourselves. And all seats without a body in it is empty, towels and books and whatever else do not count, period. It is really a simple issue.

I loudly 2nd this suggestion! Sure, if the companion goes to the bathroom or whatever fine, but what has been happening is ridiculous!

If there is not a person there it is a free chair.

The ME generation, indeed! Sheeezzzzzz :rolleyes:

Most people who take things that don't belong to them have the rationale all worked out, so they can still sleep at night;)

This is exactly what a chair hog would say! They know the chair does not belong to them, but somehow justify hogging it.....

This is exactly what a chair hog would say! They know the chair does not belong to them, but somehow justify hogging it.....

I wasn't saying it didn't apply to chair hogs as well, it applies to anyone who takes things, imo.

As for me, no chair hog here! I always have grand plans to hang by the pool or in Serenity area, but I rarely, if ever, do. Balcony or beach is more my style:p

ETA, I think the signs on the chairs are a great idea also. Would be kinda hard to argue with that!!

Are there privacy issues if someone took a photo of a chairhog and posted it on a site like CC...or even opened a new website... http://www.chairhogsofcarnival.com ?

How about getting the photogs of Carnival onboard and post photos in the photo gallery onboard...maybe the 'hogs' would like a pic of their accomplishments. :rolleyes::D

I could have taken the exact picture on the Liberty a few weeks ago! So frustrating! It was impossible to find one chair anywhere at 8:30 in the morning! I had an encounter with a woman who was saving 20 chairs on one of the tiers on the Lido...she was very rude and nasty about it when I told her she could not save chairs! I have not sailed Royal Caribbean in a long time-what is their deck patrol like?

It is wonderful. The same "deck Patrol" people who hand out towels watch for unattended chairs. They literally mark them with tape and a time. After 30 minutes, they simply bag up the items on the unoccupied chair and put them behind the counter they are standing at. It is a VERY EASY process.

We were on the Valor last November. We went up to Serenity and of course could not find any chairs without towels on them. We finally moved some towels and sat down. After 90 minutes some very upset people came up to us and said "we had towels saving our seats. we just went to the restroom"! I laughed and told them that we had been sitting there for 90 minutes! They were not amused, took their towels, which we had politely piled up for them, and went and sat and stared at us for the rest of the time we were there. If we had only been there for 5-10 minutes, I probably would have gotten up, but no way after 90 minutes! I used to never move the towels but not anymore.

This is exactly what people need to do.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
It is wonderful. The same "deck Patrol" people who hand out towels watch for unattended chairs. They literally mark them with tape and a time. After 30 minutes, they simply bag up the items on the unoccupied chair and put them behind the counter they are standing at. It is a VERY EASY process.

Funny, never saw the "deck patrol" on our RCCL cruise this past February on the EOS! Each sea day we saw a "gentleman" save 10 chairs. When we pointed it out to the staff, they said there was nothing they could do. Chair hogs exist on each and every cruise line and ship we have sailed on. Face it, the cruise lines do not want confrontation of any kind! What we have done in the past, is find an empty chair somewhere else and then move it to a spot we want and move the chair hogs chair with their stuff down the line!

Archived