Ridiculous scene of chair hogging on serenity/Carnival needs to wake up

Universe93B

what is the best way to handle these types of sistuations after an hour of people not showing up can i politely move their towel? I booked a 9day european cruise for oct,11 2013 on the new sunshine. :)

thanks in advance

ps. is everyone addicted to readding these ALL day?:)

you will not have this problem to the same degree on a Med cruise because

a. In October it will not be as pleasant on the deck..nice yes..but no way like the middle of the summer

b. The demographic on a Med cruise is well let's say..a bit more understanding. Can't wait for the comments about this one:rolleyes:

c. Med cruises are port intensive and as I said in October not exactly all day deck weather...remember it will get darker earlier...and the Med cruise sea days will not always be for pools and such....but more for relaxation...inside the ship just as much as outside the ship

of course many will flock to the pools regardless...but it is defintely a better crowd...and in October less families..more middle aged and seniors...who are not exactly looking to sit out all day in the sun...

When all available chairs are taken by humans and inanimate objects, humans always take precedent over inanimate objects. They get removed, and I make myself king of my chair.

I like someone's recent suggestion of taking a picture of the chair with a time stamp. If they show up within 15 minutes, I would probably move. Anything longer than that, if they start to complain, I will let them know of my evidence.

Most often than not, though, I drop the stuff and move the chair. This eliminates any chance of confrontation.

moving the chair is a stroke of genius!

The Dream has 2 (4?) hammocks on the Serenity deck. I wanted to use one last year. The hammock was unoccupied, with no towel or book on it. However, some one (some group), had shoved all sorts of chairs around it, so you could not get to the hammock without moving a dozen chairs. I don't think any of those chairs were occupied with people, but had towels, and books on them.

I have to agree with who ever mentioned the Magic.

there was never a problem finding a place to sunbathe or rest in the shade.

I will say one lady did ask for the items to be removed from the end chairs, so she could watch her children play in the pool.

And the guy from the hut did so...

there were other chairs available, just not as close.

I was up there at 6:30am, and those items never moved until Hut guy moved them about 11:30.

5 hours and that person never came for their towel or book?

My sister & I take one sea day to relax, so on that day, we make it a point to find our chair, and plant ourselves.

We do get up, go in the pool, and get something to eat, but not for more than a few mins. (we bring the food back to the chair, as it is something like fries LOL)

On the Magic we were with a group, and I would say we had 5 "saved" chairs for 15+ people,

and if someone we didn't know found time to sit with us, all the better.

It was pretty hot that day, maybe that is why there was no real problems...

We were on the Magic the last week of March and I was up at 6:45 heading to the lido for a glass of tea and was floored with all the towels already on the chairs holding seats. By 8 EVERY chair was taken around the pool. One older gentleman said he put his towels out at 6 and went back to bed. My kids and I spent all our time on deck 5 because there was never a day at sea where we could get a chair around any of the pool decks. It was absolutely crazy. When I filled out the survey I let them know that was my only complaint. I think that if they started collecting the towels and people were charged the $22 for new towels and lost their chairs they might have a little more cooth about it. I love cruising and love carnival but frustrates me to no end to deal with all the chair hogs.

I would post that to john h.

See what the beards have to say about that.

John has no power over this...if he did all the 1000's of complaints would illicit change. As crappy as it would make me feel to move peoples stuff..I plan on doing just that on my next cruise!

I got off the Dream yesterday. The ship was mobbed ( Carnival announced around 4500 guests ) and the deck chairs were covered with unattended towels. My mother asked a staff member if they enforced the rule written on the signs regarding chair hogging. The staff member replied, " Not at all."

I would not pay for a chair. That being said the chair hogging is horrible. I do spend my sea days on deck, reading in the sun. I also use the pool and hot tubs...BUT to enjoy my day have to set an alarm and be on deck around 8 AM and then feel hog tied to my chair...I think the 30 minute rule is very fair.

On a Princess cruise I actually saw attendants writing a time on tape and placing on the chair. About 30 minutes they were back - if the people returned they were just reminded about the 30 minute rule - if no people - they checked the pools and hot tubs if the chair wasn't theirs they took their stuff. Don't know why this is such a difficult thing to implement...a others have stated it's a matter of staffing and appears that it is not a priority.

I defiantly think something needs to be done about the chair situation. My sister and I were on a cruise a few years ago and watched two chairs...finally moved the stuff (after saying something to a carnival staff) and wound up getting cussed out by the owner the stuff we moved, about an hour later....and was told upon complaining that we should've let a staff member move the stuff...we tired, but the he didn't....I was mad, mad, mad....our solution? Hog chairs the next day. It was the only way we could do it.

When all available chairs are taken by humans and inanimate objects, humans always take precedent over inanimate objects. They get removed, and I make myself king of my chair.

I like someone's recent suggestion of taking a picture of the chair with a time stamp. If they show up within 15 minutes, I would probably move. Anything longer than that, if they start to complain, I will let them know of my evidence.

Most often than not, though, I drop the stuff and move the chair. This eliminates any chance of confrontation.

great idea! time stamping a photo of chair hogs

Two thoughts:

1) what would happen if pssengers taped index cards with times on the chairs as a point? :p

2) confrontation isn't necessary. If the chair hogs or friends start mouthing off, just look at them like you have no earthly idea what they are saying. This makes it so that you can't be accused of inflaming the situation and it makes them look like a raving lunatic. ;). If you don't say anything, it makes it better for you.

I agree that confrontation is not necessary. Just look at them, dumbfounded and tell them the chairs were open when you got there and that you have NO clue what they are talking about. Tell them that maybe they should go to security and report their stuff stolen... lol.

I also like the idea of moving the chair... lol.

Well, I mean look at them and say nothing. It honestly works wonders. Once I was parked in a parking spot and this lady in her 60s stopped next to where I was parked (again, in a parking spot) and started yelling that I was going to cause an accident. I just looked at her with a confused look on my face (the parking spot was on the end of the row, and it clearly wasn't going to cause an accident) and she said it again. I looked at her with a confused look on my face, saying nothing the whole time, and she gave up on me, gave a disgusted look and headshake of disdain and drove off.

Lol.

ETA: I have tried this technique in other ridiculous situations and it really works. After the second time repeating their grievances, I really think they get freaked out about why you aren't saying anything. :D

Try it... It is hilarious and works!

dont be foold. the so called "deck patrol" on RCL doesn't do jack squat. I haven't had the honor to see a chair hog on carnival yet, but on freedom of the seas, there were PLENTY and nothing was done

Our last cruise was on RCL's Liberty. The "deck patrol" did their job daily and consistently. It was wonderful.

Just a question... just wondering... did anyone that wanted a chair consider - just consider a remuneration to a gentleman working for the cruiseline? just wondering? I bet a bit of money could elect a very favorable outcome.

It worked at the Flamingo pool in Vegas...pool deck attendant knew which chaises had been vacant a while and freed them up for us.

I don't know anything about this "chair hogging" you all speak of... but I do know that I really appreciate the paperbacks that Carnival leaves out on the chairs every morning. I like to plop down, read a few juicy parts, then move the bookmark to where I finish.

And my husband, he loves that Carnival leaves beach towels on the loungers every morning (starting early!) so that he can dry his delicates on the towels after a sweaty dip in the hot tub, and then put the towels right back where he found them. Thanks, Carnival! ;)

I don't know anything about this "chair hogging" you all speak of... but I do know that I really appreciate the paperbacks that Carnival leaves out on the chairs every morning. I like to plop down, read a few juicy parts, then move the bookmark to where I finish.

And my husband, he loves that Carnival leaves beach towels on the loungers every morning (starting early!) so that he can dry his delicates on the towels after a sweaty dip in the hot tub, and then put the towels right back where he found them. Thanks, Carnival! ;)

LOL....love it! ;) :D

bawahahaHAHAHA LMAO :D

hahahaha.... my DH LOVED it too!!! :D

We were on the Valor last November. We went up to Serenity and of course could not find any chairs without towels on them. We finally moved some towels and sat down. After 90 minutes some very upset people came up to us and said "we had towels saving our seats. we just went to the restroom"! I laughed and told them that we had been sitting there for 90 minutes! They were not amused, took their towels, which we had politely piled up for them, and went and sat and stared at us for the rest of the time we were there. If we had only been there for 5-10 minutes, I probably would have gotten up, but no way after 90 minutes! I used to never move the towels but not anymore.

I think I might have said:

"The infirmary is down on deck zero, and I'm sorry about it taking 90 minutes for you to go to the bathroom. That must be terribly miserable. Hope everything comes out better :rolleyes: for you soon."

Then, go back to reading my book, or whatever.

GP

Archived