Ridiculous scene of chair hogging on serenity/Carnival needs to wake up

Universe93B

It depends on how you look at it... If they didn't want the towels to walk off, they wouldn't leave them unattended.

Would you leave $20.00 sitting on a chair all day unattended?

I wouldn't, but then, I wouldn't chair hog to start with, nor do I condone the practice. (I do like the idea of removing the items and moving the chair!)

However, whether it's a $20 bill or a $22 towel left unattended, it's not yours, and it's still considered stealing by any reasonable standard.

GP

I wouldn't, but then, I wouldn't chair hog to start with, nor do I condone the practice. (I do like the idea of removing the items and moving the chair!)

However, whether it's a $20 bill or a $22 towel left unattended, it's not yours, and it's still considered stealing by any reasonable standard.

GP

That would be Carnival wouldn't it?

Just got off the Splendor this morning, so I'm still a little dizzy (I'm sitting still, but my body seems to be swaying... or something :D), which means I haven't read all the answers.

On the big screen, there is a scrolling thing that says items left for more than 40 minutes will be removed and will be kept somewhere (towel hut?) for safekeeping... I think that means the mover, a fellow passenger, needs to do the moving and give to the employee for safekeeping... I don't sit on those chairs (hate the sun), so it's no big deal for me, but I'm not a confrontational person, so I'd hate to be sitting in "their" seat and having to tell someone I turned their stuff to the towel hut guy... on the other hand, don't know how an employee could really be keeping track of chair hogging either... Like a meter maid marking tires?!

That would be Carnival wouldn't it?

I don't believe those proponents of taking the $20 (or towel) gave any indication that they had intentions of returning it to the rightful owners.

Seemed to me to be more of a way to "get even" with the chair hogs.

GP

I am going on my first cruise in October, I am hoping that I won't have to deal with this, but can I tip one of the staff to remove the towel, book etc. for me?

You don't need to tip...it is part of their job.

You can ask, but they don't usually do anything....mostly you are on your own.
Not necessary correct.

We were on the 03-25-12 of the Miracle (after Serenity area was added), and found it nearly impossible the first 2 sea days to get a seat...sat on the side of the pool instead. :(

On the morning of our 3rd sea day (on-route back to FLL), we decided to sit in the shade (had gotten a little burnt in our last port - St. Kitts), and read / play cards / scrabble, etc...We went out at 9:15am, and while there were a few people out there, all of the chairs (sun or shade) were "saved" by something. The only chairs available were the chairs at tables where you would eat...we played some cards, and after 45 minutes I approached the staff at the towel hut and mentioned that we wanted to sit in the shade, but there were people's things on all of the sofas and chairs. She followed us over to the area we had been watching, removed their belongings and told us to enjoy our day.

At 12:25pm a woman and man came up to us with bags from the gift shop in their hands and said..."where is all of our things, we had them sitting on these chairs" I let them know that the attendant had removed them just after 10am, and we had sat down. We enjoyed our seats for another 2 hours and then vacated them for someone else to enjoy.

Don't be afraid to ask staff to act on your behalf. You paid your cruise fare the same as all the other passengers did, which gives you just as much right to use those chairs as everyone else !

Carnival needs to be like RCI and have a "deck patrol" because these people are making the Serenity deck absolutely useless. It doesn't matter if this is beating a dead horse, because Carnival needs to eventually realize what they need to do.

valorchairhog.jpg

:eek::mad::rolleyes:

I don't know anything about this "chair hogging" you all speak of... but I do know that I really appreciate the paperbacks that Carnival leaves out on the chairs every morning. I like to plop down, read a few juicy parts, then move the bookmark to where I finish.

And my husband, he loves that Carnival leaves beach towels on the loungers every morning (starting early!) so that he can dry his delicates on the towels after a sweaty dip in the hot tub, and then put the towels right back where he found them. Thanks, Carnival! ;)

:D

I was on the Liberty last year sunbathing at around 9am. A woman came by and started her "reserving" process by opening her beach bag and emptying the contents onto about 14 chairs. A book on this chair, a flip flop on that chair, sunscrean on another chair, you get the idea. Then she plopped herself down and started reading a book. The deck started filling up and whenever people asked about the chairs she told them that her family was sitting there. After an hour and a half someone in her group FINALLY came by... but she only came by to say that she and everyone else were going to be busy for a few hours and they MIGHT stop by to sunbathe later. That woman reserved (wasted) fourteen chairs on a beautiful, sunny sea-day morning JUST INCASE any of her family decided to stop by!

What if after each cruise people started posting that when they were on their cruise, they saved places every day and "can you believe the attendant took their things up after 40 minutes and no longer allows you to save chairs!!!" Just wondered if starting these rumors would help curb the hogs....nahhhh, probably not.:rolleyes:

You don't need to tip...it is part of their job.

Not necessary correct.

We were on the 03-25-12 of the Miracle (after Serenity area was added), and found it nearly impossible the first 2 sea days to get a seat...sat on the side of the pool instead. :(

On the morning of our 3rd sea day (on-route back to FLL), we decided to sit in the shade (had gotten a little burnt in our last port - St. Kitts), and read / play cards / scrabble, etc...We went out at 9:15am, and while there were a few people out there, all of the chairs (sun or shade) were "saved" by something. The only chairs available were the chairs at tables where you would eat...we played some cards, and after 45 minutes I approached the staff at the towel hut and mentioned that we wanted to sit in the shade, but there were people's things on all of the sofas and chairs. She followed us over to the area we had been watching, removed their belongings and told us to enjoy our day.

At 12:25pm a woman and man came up to us with bags from the gift shop in their hands and said..."where is all of our things, we had them sitting on these chairs" I let them know that the attendant had removed them just after 10am, and we had sat down. We enjoyed our seats for another 2 hours and then vacated them for someone else to enjoy.

Don't be afraid to ask staff to act on your behalf. You paid your cruise fare the same as all the other passengers did, which gives you just as much right to use those chairs as everyone else !

We were on the Miracle earlier in March and in a similar position. I didn't care where I sat, as long as it was in the sun on the new Serenity deck (my husband didn't want the sun so he stayed in the shady area). After two days of no chance of a chair, I watched chairs and after more than 30 minutes I asked security about removing stuff from a chair so I could sit down. He had the towel person do it and they were very pleasant about it, no problem. About an hour later a lady comes down and asks me if I am using her towel that I was on her chair. I told her that it was my towel. She had saved six chairs and I had one of them. Her friends joined her after a little while and they made rude comments, had more drinks and got a little louder and even more rude as time went on. They found additional chairs and squeezed them into the area so that her chair was about an inch from the one that I was in. It was a windy, gusty day. When I got up to leave, which was very difficult because of how close she had moved the chair, a gust of wind moved my towel and it apparently touched her. She very loudly yelled at me that the next time she saw me she was going to slap me in the face and that I had better watch out.

Honestly, this was not fun, not relaxing, and certainly not Serenity. I personally do not ever want to get involved in a confrontation like that again. Either I will get up at dark-thirty and get my own chair (and stay in it) or I will find somewhere else to go. I really do wish Carnival was able to monitor this in some way to take the passenger out of such an uncomfortable position of conflict. It was just my bad luck to encounter the chair hog that was loud, drunk, and with gutter instincts to threaten physical confrontation.

I was on the Liberty last year sunbathing at around 9am. A woman came by and started her "reserving" process by opening her beach bag and emptying the contents onto about 14 chairs. A book on this chair, a flip flop on that chair, sunscrean on another chair, you get the idea. Then she plopped herself down and started reading a book. The deck started filling up and whenever people asked about the chairs she told them that her family was sitting there. After an hour and a half someone in her group FINALLY came by... but she only came by to say that she and everyone else were going to be busy for a few hours and they MIGHT stop by to sunbathe later. That woman reserved (wasted) fourteen chairs on a beautiful, sunny sea-day morning JUST INCASE any of her family decided to stop by!

------------------------

This exact thing happened to us on the Freedom...except..we " took " 5 of her seats, then another couple took two..and then the 7 of us ( who now were friends due to the shared fact we both TOOK chairs from the hog ) invited others to do the same. The lady was pissed..but not us...we thought it was great fun !!

She was then down to two saved chairs when 2 hours later some of her party came back and said that they didn't want to sit in the sun but that they wanted to play cards by the bar. :eek:

Denise

It called the ME FIRST GENERATION, and the hell with anybody else.

Taking someones possesions is STEALING, just give it to a Carnival Employee.

There is a station on the Lido and the Serenity area.

Why are people so selfish and lazy? GREEDY B-----DS!

DO THE RIGHT THING!

what is the best way to handle these types of sistuations after an hour of people not showing up can i politely move their towel? I booked a 9day european cruise for oct,11 2013 on the new sunshine. :)

thanks in advance

ps. is everyone addicted to readding these ALL day?:)

Very easy solution here. You walk up, pick any chair you like that is hogged (fyi its easy to tell - a book, sandal, hat or nicely folded towel or a towel tucked into a corner so it wont blow away are dead giveaways) remove the item holding the chair, place it neatly on the floor. Move the chair to another location. If they ever return they have no idea who has their chair and you can sit smugly with a big grin on your face.

Just an FYI, we are just off the Conquest as of yesterday. The ONLY place I saw mention of the 30 minute rule was on the back page of the Fun Times and that was only on the first day of the cruise. I checked, it was never there again. And it was not posted on deck that I could see. It seems to me, if Carnival wanted to TRULY enforce their own rule, they would have it blatantly posted, have a deck patrol and also list it in the Fun Times in an overt place, not covertly placed in around a lot of other information on the back page and only listed once. We fuss and whine about chair hogs, but it seems to me, that Carnival has little to no desire to do anything about this issue.

It called the ME FIRST GENERATION, and the hell with anybody else.

Could not agree with you more! I am not that old (40's), but I guess I come from a different generation, so to speak. That "ME" behavior is unthinkable for me. Simple courtesy was ingrained in me, and I try to pass it on to my kids. This current selfish culture is ROTTEN to the core, IMHO.

We were on the Miracle earlier in March and in a similar position. I didn't care where I sat, as long as it was in the sun on the new Serenity deck (my husband didn't want the sun so he stayed in the shady area). After two days of no chance of a chair, I watched chairs and after more than 30 minutes I asked security about removing stuff from a chair so I could sit down. He had the towel person do it and they were very pleasant about it, no problem. About an hour later a lady comes down and asks me if I am using her towel that I was on her chair. I told her that it was my towel. She had saved six chairs and I had one of them. Her friends joined her after a little while and they made rude comments, had more drinks and got a little louder and even more rude as time went on. They found additional chairs and squeezed them into the area so that her chair was about an inch from the one that I was in. It was a windy, gusty day. When I got up to leave, which was very difficult because of how close she had moved the chair, a gust of wind moved my towel and it apparently touched her. She very loudly yelled at me that the next time she saw me she was going to slap me in the face and that I had better watch out.

Honestly, this was not fun, not relaxing, and certainly not Serenity. I personally do not ever want to get involved in a confrontation like that again. Either I will get up at dark-thirty and get my own chair (and stay in it) or I will find somewhere else to go. I really do wish Carnival was able to monitor this in some way to take the passenger out of such an uncomfortable position of conflict. It was just my bad luck to encounter the chair hog that was loud, drunk, and with gutter instincts to threaten physical confrontation.

Oh HELL NO!! No way am I putting up with that crap!! :mad:

It is wonderful. The same "deck Patrol" people who hand out towels watch for unattended chairs. They literally mark them with tape and a time. After 30 minutes, they simply bag up the items on the unoccupied chair and put them behind the counter they are standing at. It is a VERY EASY process.

I'm surprised the Hogs don't come back every 20 minutes and remove the tape.

I don't know what it is about the Valor but it is THE worst ship for hogs that I've seen. We've been on 10 cruises and the Valor was one of them. On the seas days you could not get a chair anywhere and this thread is at least the 4th thread I'm aware of that people are complaining about Hogs that iinvolve the Valor.

What the heck is wrong with people these days? Really? we're going to result in violence because of a CHAIR that you don't even own? ugh

Well I guess on the lighter side - I'm happy to hear that there the staff on the Miracle is willing to remove things for you. I'd be like "what towel? - I didn't touch any towel :p"

How sad and pathetic that people can be so selfish.

Could not agree with you more! I am not that old (40's), but I guess I come from a different generation, so to speak. That "ME" behavior is unthinkable for me. Simple courtesy was ingrained in me, and I try to pass it on to my kids. This current selfish culture is ROTTEN to the core, IMHO.

I don't think age/generation has anything to do with the "ME" behavior. It's the person, and I'm sure they are the same way in every aspect of their lives.

We solve this problem by getting a balcony room. If our balcony is not in sun yet we walk around the ship exploring until it is. It usually doesn't take to long. We don't worry or even look for chair hogs! Problem solved! ;)

What the heck is wrong with people these days? Really? we're going to result in violence because of a CHAIR that you don't even own? ugh

Well I guess on the lighter side - I'm happy to hear that there the staff on the Miracle is willing to remove things for you. I'd be like "what towel? - I didn't touch any towel :p"

Most of the time I sit up on the upper decks around where the "topless" deck used to be. Allot quieter up there and chairs are plenty. On the Victory they even had a shower up there in that area to spray yourself off to cool off. Not sure if its still there now. That was many yrs ago before some of the upgrades.

Archived