Meet & Mingle Trevails

shuttlebuggy

Well our cruise was perfect in every way possible with the only exception being the Events Coordinator "Blair" on the Eurodam...

As of my first posting aboard the Eurodam on last weeks cruise, we touched base not even a couple hours onboard - she was positive and said she would be there as well as a couple of the ship's staff.

I told her I would arrive at least 15 min prior to the start time and was looking forward to meeting her.

I thanked her kindly for the use of the Captain's Corner and the set up of cookies and beverages.

When my husband and I arrived there was a nicely set up area as promised but no Blair.

No other staff made any appearance either...

We had 3 other CC members show out of the 33 on our Roll Call.....

There was solomeocruise (Charlotte), Worryfree8 (Gretchen), EastHampaton (Sarah, Joe, Laura).

They were all a delight to meet. We exchanged gifts and chatted for a while.

Poolmom2, Colorado Cherry, Bertlee1, Lyndylou and AmyinCT - know you were missed!

Later on in the cruise we met up with Foodgirl and her hubby @ HMC. Great to make their acquaintance!

We also met up with Betty and a few other CC'ers who lurk & learn but don't usually post.

The group we met up with in the Crow's Nest had many things and helpful info they could offer here on CC - so we encouraged them to post soon! :)

My husband and I wonder what gives with Blair as a no show as well as some staff? ??? AND we were disappointed there wasn't a better showing from our roll call of those that could have come :(

Think how embarrassed you would have been if many officers and staff had appeared, but only those same three CC members. ;)

The whole purpose of the Meet & Greet is for CC members to meet and greet each other. It's an opportunity for passengers who know each other as boardnames without faces to connect and share some good times.

Officers and staff, cookies and coffee, munchies and drinks---those are nice enough, but extraneous.

I've arranged 2 M&Gs. The first, January 2010 out of San Diego. Ship just out of drydock, stormy weather (some crew, entertainers and pax missed the boat). Many pax sea sick for the first couple days because of storm & rough seas. I and one couple showed up for M&G - figured all the officers + many pax were busy with other things.

Second, March 2012 out of Fort Luderdale. Everything smooth. About 8 officers showed up and addressed the goup of about 15+ for a few minutes.

Obvious reasons for the differences, but, absent rough seas etc., I think the Events Manager sets the tone.

We had 3 other CC members show out of the 33 on our Roll Call.....

We exchanged gifts and chatted for a while. :(

Exchanged gifts??? Perhaps that was part of the reason for the low turnout. I know a few roll calls do that, but I suspect it actually keeps some or even many from attending. You can say it is optional, but people who don't want the gift exchange may still stay away. I think we would. Meet and Greets are simply for roll call participants to meet each other.

That is pretty bad getting only 3 out of 33....it's sad that they said they would come and didn't show up. I can see a few maybe not showing if the seas were rough.

I have never been to a meet and greet yet but have signed up for one on our 4 night cruise in May and am looking forward to it. I'd be very disappointed if only a couple showed up when over 30 responded saying they would come. (mainly disappointed that the HAL staff went to the trouble of setting things up and hardly anyone showing up).

The appearance by ships' staff and/or officers is a courtesy, not an expectation. With such a small turnout, I would be relieved that they didn't come, not disappointed.

I've done several meet and greets. Often some staff come and other times they do not. It depends upon the timing and their schedules.

The main point of the meet and greet is to get to know your fellow cc'ers. That's the best part of the M & G:)

:D I just returned from a 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Oosterdam. I was lucky to be part of a Great M & G set up by Carolyn from Louisiana. We had about 30 people show up on the worst sea day in the Crows Nest. Some of the Crew stopped by for a visit also. It was fun putting names to faces and running in to each other over the two weeks on board. It is sad that people say they would come and not show up for a while. The next one will be better!!!!

Exchanged gifts??? Perhaps that was part of the reason for the low turnout. I know a few roll calls do that, but I suspect it actually keeps some or even many from attending. You can say it is optional, but people who don't want the gift exchange may still stay away. I think we would. Meet and Greets are simply for roll call participants to meet each other.

I have been to several M&G and most have been very well attended by passengers and ship staff. The exception was the one where gifts were exchanged!

I organized a Meet and Greet aboard the Zuiderdam two weeks ago and we had 35 our of 45 of our board show up. We also invited the staff and had our event coordinator show up, however there was a previously scheduled fire drill scheduled, and the senior staff was unable to attend. On the paperwork requesting a M&G from HAL in Seattle, it clearly states the staff may attend depending on operational duties. So I never expect the Captain and Hotel Manager to attend, but am happy to see them when they do.;)

I agree with those who suggest the gift exchange could have been part (or all) of the reason many did not come to the M & G. Many of us don't take to that idea very well but for those who like it, fine. :)

HaHa Wake!!!

That is TOO funny!!!!

Honestly, I think that Blair (the EC) not showing after calling me to say she was looking forward to meeting me and being so POSITIVE the day prior was the biggest headscratcher!!! Of course it most certainly WOULD have been embarassing to have just staff there. So you are absolutely right, good thing they were busy or tied up.

So to RuthC and others, we KNEW that having other staff come is not guaranteed or a sure thing. It was just to have a warm welcome and positive commitment from the EC herself that she WOULD be there to meet us seems perplexing and a let down.

We also made sure to bring a bag full of little unwrapped small gift items and tropical themed ballcaps to cover those that may have forgotten or did not purchase & pack a small thing. We took this extra luggage packing space up for the benifit and convenience of others not ourselves.

Of course the M & M is NOT about all these "things" it is about the people behind the names that make up our collective CC community.

The original starter of our Roll Call and an experienced M& M person wound up early on not being able to make this cruise.

Another CC 'er who had attended but not run one filled us in on what made up a M&M, but was not comfortable running it.

We had never done either but figured if we did not pick up the ball then no one would!

We like to meet new friends and finding that the overall feeling of commradery of fellow CC'ers on this board had been a positive one - felt up to the whole thing...

We (Cliff &I) organized this one on what had been a slow thread till the last 2 weeks before the cruise. Had done our homework on what makes one successful. The only element we lacked was either footing or splitting the fee for alcholic drinks. Which there was no time to do.

My husband is thinking that when people make that sort of monetary commitment they tend to follow through on attending. So possibly, though not certain by any means, the lack of this form of refreshment was a factor?

I just come away with feeling that activites around ship at sea are definitely something everyone wants to avail themselves of - US included! So when those that say they have interest & will be attending a M&M are "no shows" - and those that organize one are waiting patiently and taking the time out from their personal agendas at sea to meet & greet them....it just is so inconsiderate by that choice they are conveying that they have better things to do with their time than we do who are prepared, waiting and doing this for THEM!

HaHa Wake!!!

That is TOO funny!!!!

And think that Blair (the EC) not showing after calling me to say she was looking forward to meeting me and being so POSITIVE the day prior was the biggest headscratcher!!!

To RuthC and others, we KNEW that having other staff come is not guaranteed or a sure thing. We also msde sure to bring a bag full of little unwrapped small gift items and tropical themed ballcaps to cover those that may have forgotten or did not purchase & pack a small thing.

Of course the M & M is NOT about all these "things" it is about the people behind the names that make up our collective CC community.

We (Cliff &I) organized this one on what had been a slow thread till the last 2 weeks before the cruise. Had done our homework on what makes one successful. The only element we lacked was either footing or splitting the fee for alcholic drinks. Which there was no time to do.

My husband is thinking that when people make that sort of monetary commitment they tend to follow through on attending.

I just come away with feeling that activites around ship at sea are definitely something everyone wants to avail themselves of - US included! So when those that say they have interest & will be attending a M&M are "no shows" - and those that organize one are waiting patiently and taking the time out from their personal agendas at sea to meet & greet them....it just is so inconsiderate by that choice they are conveying that they have better things to do with their time than we do who are prepared, waiting and doing this for THEM!

Shuttlebuggy - there are usually some 'no shows' at any meet and greet. People 'forget' or whatever. However I've never seen a no show such as you experienced. i feel for you believe me;) I would be very frustrated with that type of turn out too.:(

One thing I do for drinks which may be of help to you for the future - I order a no host bar (in other words, everyone pays for their own). Those that want a drink can have one and there is no expense to one particular person.;)

I think people mentioned the gift exchange as they have found it to be a deterrent for their M & G's. Just trying to help for the future

I know that once on board the ship, many of us forget events that we "Plan" on attending. I always print out invitations and deliver them to all Roll Call Members staterooms the night before the Meet & Greet.

I also make sure that the M&G is not scheduled during a Ship event such as Bingo, trivia and a couple hours after breakfast and yet before lunch....

On our 2nd M&G that I was planning a couple years ago, I had mentioned a gift exchange and many expressed quite vocally here on the boards that they would not attend. So no gift exchanges for any that I plan:)

Joanie

HaHa Wake!!!

That is TOO funny!!!!

Honestly, I think that Blair (the EC) not showing after calling me to say she was looking forward to meeting me and being so POSITIVE the day prior was the biggest headscratcher!!! Of course it most certainly WOULD have been embarassing to have just staff there. So you are absolutely right, good thing they were busy or tied up.

So to RuthC and others, we KNEW that having other staff come is not guaranteed or a sure thing. It was just to have a warm welcome and positive commitment from the EC herself that she WOULD be there to meet us seems perplexing and a let down.

We also made sure to bring a bag full of little unwrapped small gift items and tropical themed ballcaps to cover those that may have forgotten or did not purchase & pack a small thing. We took this extra luggage packing space up for the benifit and convenience of others not ourselves.

The original starter of our Roll Call and an experienced M& M person wound up early on not being able to make this cruise.

Another CC 'er who had attended but not run one filled us in on what made up a M&M, but was not comfortable running it.

We had never done either but figured if we did not pick up the ball then no one would!

We like to meet new friends and finding that the overall feeling of commradery of fellow CC'ers on this board had been a positive one - felt up to the whole thing...

My husband is thinking that when people make that sort of monetary commitment they tend to follow through on attending. So possibly, though not certain by any means, the lack of this form of refreshment was a factor?

Your post is an eye-opener. I always consider a M & M an optional activity: sometimes I go, sometimes I don't. I had no idea the organizer would take it so personally and seriously. And let me weigh in on the gift exchange: not at all interested - it would definitely keep me away.

Kazu, thanks. And I forgot to add that piece we were located directly near the bar and I informed them in the initial announcement that bar drinks would be conveniently available with the use of individual ship card swiping.

Joanie, I do feel that printing and delivery of invites would have definitely helped had those that said they wrre coming gotten back to us with their stateroom numbers at the very least.

We published ours and had the CC door sign on it!

That was something we had also done was print out the CC nametags on computer paper and brought pins to attach for everyone. I am now glad we didn't go to the time and expense of purchasing special sized labels for that.

If my RC had such a low meeting turnout I would be very thankful that no one from the ship had turned up! *awkward*.... There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason why one M&G has people who are animated and engaged for over an hour and one is basically: *crickets*. Sailaway time is a terrible time, 10 am the first sea day seems to be a bad time- who knows? But don't take it personally. A gift exchange sounds pretty deadly to me and it might have kept me away from a M&G. Too much to worry about as the cruise draws near without stressing over little gifties...

I looked on your roll call to see when this M&G was scheduled. While the gift exchange definetely is a turnoff for some, I think the big problem was the time you held it- 1 PM on the first sea day. That's prime lunch time for most and I am not surprised that people didn't want to either miss lunch or eat lunch early before the M&G after what was probably a big breakfast on their first morning on the ship. Never never ever ask people on a cruise to miss a meal. :eek: Was there a reason you picked this particular time?

Mid-late morning or late afternoon would have worked much better for you I'm sure.

I know that once on board the ship, many of us forget events that we "Plan" on attending. I always print out invitations and deliver them to all Roll Call Members staterooms the night before the Meet & Greet.

I also make sure that the M&G is not scheduled during a Ship event such as Bingo, trivia and a couple hours after breakfast and yet before lunch....

That has been my experience too after arranging 6 M&Gs; all on charters with lots of activities. No matter what we do it always clashes with something else, or is too close to lunch or it was just too nice outside and some lost track of time... or just plain forgot. Ship happens :D

The OP's experience with arranging the first M&G was disappointing, but I would suggest not taking it too personally: you stepped up to arrange it and did your best. Don't let it dissuade you form arranging - or even attending - another one. Take what you learned from this experience (and from comments on these boards) into the next one. :)

It has been a while since I attended a Meet & Greet.

The big turn off for me was when it was mentioned that there would be a gift exchange. As a result O don;t even bother reading half of the Roll Calls.

The last Meet & Greet that we attended had about 70 people there. But no co-ordinator and not one officer.

That has been my experience too after arranging 6 M&Gs; all on charters with lots of activities. No matter what we do it always clashes with something else, or is too close to lunch or it was just too nice outside and some lost track of time... or just plain forgot. Ship happens :D

The OP's experience with arranging the first M&G was disappointing, but I would suggest not taking it too personally: you stepped up to arrange it and did your best. Don't let it dissuade you form arranging - or even attending - another one. Take what you learned from this experience (and from comments on these boards) into the next one. :)

Totally agree with you Peter:) and well said:) It's really nice when people step up to do this and I'll second Peter's wise words - don't let it dissuade you from arranging or attending another one

Disappointing to say the least.

Shame on the staff, and the CC members that never showed.

Why shame on any of them? :confused:

In the M&Gs I have arranged - and you have been on most of those ;) - I have never gotten bent out of shape if CC members don't show up. It's their choice and their cruise to do as they please. As for staff: I consider it a bonus when they show up.

As you know, we have had some great turn-outs - 110+ in 2009 including a number of staff members - and much less this February with only the HM attending. Some M&Gs had hosted bars and others have not, it's all fine by me as the main purpose is to meet fellow CC members.

We have a large one coming up on the Zuiderdam. We have 127 and the Facebook folks are invited also -- somewhere around 170 people total.

I hope most of our folks make it to the meet & greet. We have had an extremely active board. We'll probably be closing in on 2500 posts by the time we leave on Friday :)

Archived