Capitan Bob Cass

carlp

No bad pun intended here with Capt. Bob, however when we took a snorkeling excursion in Grand Turk earlier this year, my wife was fine until we had to sit in the bobbing boat(smaller skiff than CB's boats) while we waited for all the others to get back on board. The water was moderately rough. She actually got back into the water beside the boat, just to try to feel better. On Capt. Bob's excursion, is there much time spent just bobbing in the boat? She is fine when underway, even with rough water. It's just sitting and bobbing that we're worried about. I am hoping we can book this excursion with Capt. Bob, when we visit in January as so many people have had a great time on this excursion.

Your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

The on,y time bobbin would be if she got back in the boat early at snorkel stops. DH gets sea sick, especially when bobbing, but was fine. The areas where the boat is stopped are very sheltered and it does not rock.

No bad pun intended here with Capt. Bob, however when we took a snorkeling excursion in Grand Turk earlier this year, my wife was fine until we had to sit in the bobbing boat(smaller skiff than CB's boats) while we waited for all the others to get back on board. The water was moderately rough. She actually got back into the water beside the boat, just to try to feel better. On Capt. Bob's excursion, is there much time spent just bobbing in the boat? She is fine when underway, even with rough water. It's just sitting and bobbing that we're worried about. I am hoping we can book this excursion with Capt. Bob, when we visit in January as so many people have had a great time on this excursion.

Your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

I am the same way. In Cabo, we took a little glass bottom boat tour out into the bay. Everything was great until we stopped to look at El Arco, then I got seasick and stayed that way until I got off the boat. So I plan to take something or get a seasick patch beforehand. I don't want to worry about it the whole day!

Tried to go this past December when in St. Maarten, but was canceled. Was pretty bummed that he never emailed or messaged us saying that he was going to cancel the excursion :( We ended up not doing anything because we couldn't decided which beach to go to being we didn't do much research. That has never happened to us before so I have learned my lesson to research a little about the beaches in the area even if you have an excursion planned and confirmed! Needless to say we were bummed we couldn't enjoy the day with Capt. Bob. Going back to St. Maarten this December, and probably going to give it another go, and hopefully we have better luck this time! (:

Tried to go this past December when in St. Maarten, but was canceled. Was pretty bummed that he never emailed or messaged us saying that he was going to cancel the excursion :( We ended up not doing anything because we couldn't decided which beach to go to being we didn't do much research. That has never happened to us before so I have learned my lesson to research a little about the beaches in the area even if you have an excursion planned and confirmed! Needless to say we were bummed we couldn't enjoy the day with Capt. Bob. Going back to St. Maarten this December, and probably going to give it another go, and hopefully we have better luck this time! (:

Was it cancelled due to weather or was it something he knew about ahead of time? Weather I can understand, but if there was some other reason he should have let you know. What a bummer for you; I hope ours goes off as planned, but if not I have three other things I would like to do on the island. I'm sure we could pull at least one of them together at the last minute!

• 2 weeks later...

Captain Bob's Soualiga tour is THE BEST excursion we have ever taken. We went two years in a row and are now planning a trip to St. Marten to explore the land parts of the island. The first time we went we had trouble finding the marina because we booked through someone else who didn't give good directions. Capt. Bob's directions are great. Just look for that restaurant he mentions and walk right through their entrance to get to the marina. You will LOVE this tour!

• 2 months later...

We took Captain Bob's tour a couple years ago, and it was the best day on that vacation. So when our Honeymoon cruise was stopping in St. Maarten again, we decided not to tempt fate, and do what we loved. It turned out to be a good choice! Captain Bob was away, so we had a different captain (I can't remember his name...) but he was just as fabulous It was wonderful! We did some different stops from the first time, which was great (the stops that were the same were still just as good too!). We met a lovely family on the boat as well- and just had a marvelous day. Love swimming by the resort that was closed for the season near Donald Trumps house- a barracuda took in the shade under the boat and it was great to see such an awesome fish up close!

Can't recommend this trip enough!

This tour sounds wonderful. Our last time in St. Martin we just plunked ourselves on the beach but are thinking this might be a good option for our March cruise. What is the price for the cruise and how early should we book? Do we pay now or when we arrive?

Would this work for senior citizens? I'm active, although I could not climb a ladder into the boat Husband uses a cane for stability and has arthritis. We'd probably just hang out on the boat or beach.

Would not recommend if you have mobility issues ,I had heck of time getting on the boat .

You have to get off at the beach for lunch you get into the water and walk to beach then need to get back on the boat.

Also no restroom on board....

Having said that I loved loved the tour ...just not getting back onto the boat:rolleyes: lol

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Getting off the boat and back on via a small ladder was a problem- and i have no mobility issues. Also, to get to the lunch on the beach we had to get off the boat in shoulder-high water and swim/walk to the beach. It was a beautiful day and wonderful swimming, but next time I want to go on a catamaran.

• 3 months later...

So "did our excursion go well”, NO, it didn’t go well – it was "FABULOUS" !!!!!!!!!

We thought that our trip in March 2014 with Capt Bob was the best ever and could not be any better. However in December 2014 when we were in St. Maarten on the Regal Princess we had such a GREAT time before that we elected to join Capt Bob's excursion again. This time we were on the boat with his son, Capt Brett and First Mate Laura. Capt Bob, you should be proud of yourself, you have taught your son very well. He did an EXCELLENT job and First Mate Laura was a pleasure. They worked very well together and make a very cute couple.

Thanks again and look forward to seeing you again next time we are ‘in your area’.

Thanks

Janice and John

I've always enjoyed Captain Bob's Souliga destinations tour, which is hands down in my honest opinion the best value and the best excursion I've ever had on a cruise trip. I've been to St Maarten thrice now and twice have done the Captain Bob excursion. The third time we decided to rent a jeep and drive all around the island and visit every beach we could find and eat at different places etc. next time I'm back I'll do the Captain Bob excursion again it is just too much fun. If your tour gets canceled because of weather there are a ton of other options that you can find on a moments notice. I saw people posting that they didn't have anything to do because they didn't make a decision as to which beach to go to or something. There are literally dozens of people vying for your tourist dollar and they may not all walk right up to you but if you just ask you can rent a jeep, bikes, mopeds, get a land tour by car or bus, get driven to any beaches or anywhere you like. They dont cancel because they do t want to boat out to the coral reefs and show you the beautiful sights and make money. They do it out of safety concerns and I've been out on a day where they were going to consider canceling but decided to go out and it was rough on the water. Bee were given the option to get a refund and the experience was a little bit different because of the weather. They are looking out for their customers and also their reputation as the rough days aren't going to be quite as exciting as the calm ones I recommend that those with any concerns fab out being above to climb in and out of the boat from the water may think about of this is something they want to do. It's a lot of fun but you need to be willing and able to do a certain amount of physical exercise for this excursion to fully enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...

We had such a great time on our January 2015 tour with Brett and Laura! It was an easy walk to our "take off" point from the Jewel of the Seas. Captain Bob met us at the site, so we got to chat with him a bit and appreciated his thorough review of guest expectations and safety. We had a perfect day, sunny, calm waters, and we were not in freezing Michigan. Drinks of all sorts were provided with the tour--the only time you had to pay for something to drink was while at the Restaurant for lunch. You will want sunscreen. Even I, who really usually avoid anything over 8, wore 30 that day. We enjoyed the snorkeling stops--sadly we didn't see turtles, but really, how can you guarantee turtles from day to day? I, for one, appreciated that we were not at a touristy spot where turtles expect a meal and therefore appear. The water was still lovely and it was fun looking for them. The second snorkeling spot had lovely and colorful fish. Lunch was delicious, I had the chicken and my husband the fish--it exceeded what I expected for lunch and I loved the quaint location. We were fortunate to see several planes land at Maho Beach, so that was fun and exciting.

Because the water was calm, we were able to go all around the Island, so we feel spoiled. We were also back at the ship in plenty of time as promised.

I've already recommended this cruise to several people. For the cost it beat anything from the ship, and, a smaller group of people made for a more intimate experience.

If we are in St. Maarten's again, there is a very good chance we would repeat this tour.

Kudos to Captain Bob and Crew for an amazing experience!

Drinks are available for purchase at lunch, but email Bob and ask if you can bring something else. The cooler only has beer, water and soda....and I will see you there, we are also signed up!

Edited by akowilm

Thanks Akowilm - really looking forward to this trip - it can't come soon enough :) DH will be happy with beer, and I'll be fine with a drink at lunch! With the drink package on the cruise it will be a good day to dry out :)

Our group consisted of 6 adults and 4 kids ranging from 5 to 15 in age. The excursion was amazing from start to finish. We have been on many different cruises and shore excursions and this was THE BEST ONE we've ever been on. The captain was great seeing us off, and our boat operator was so good with everyone including the kids. He was so patient with the kids snorkeling, explaining things, making sure they were comfortable, had water, were safe, etc. We saw so many amazing things - snorkeling, sea turtles, planes at Maho beach, swimming, iguanas - but yet never felt rushed through any of it. It was truly a perfect day. Captain Bob met us for an amazing lunch which was a full lunch of ribs or chicken or fish, salad, beans, rice and was also good about catering to those in our group that had food allergies. The only bad part was the day had to end eventually. I would not hestitate to book this again or recommend to others. Thank you so much!

We took this tour in January 2015. All I knew was I wanted to go on a 6 hour speedboat ride. It was fabulous. The day we went there were two boats going so we were on Captain Mike's beautiful boat with 3 900 HP motors on it. It was so much fun when he opened it up. With full passenger load he said it was going 50 MPH. Although we did not see turtles on our snorkeling part of the ride we thoroughly enjoyed the sights, the fabulous lunch and watching the planes land overhead at Maho beach. Mike was very helpful getting us all up the ladder at the back of the boat after our snorkeling and swimming adventures. I would definitely take this tour again. When you are in St. Martin avoid Orient Beach and the crowds and do this tour instead.

How long do they stay at snorkelling spots?

We're seriously considering this, it sounds like a fun tour, but I do not snorkel.

I'm not a strong swimmer but will swim close to the boat if the ocean is not rough and will enjoy the lunch on the beach.

I don't mind sitting on a rocking boat while others are in the water.

How far out would we have to book? We are going in September.

We booked with captain mike but on the day were with captain bobs crew, as i understand they essentially share customers and do the same tour so here goes...

Start off by motoring along the coast, through one of the harbours with some incredible cruisers and yachts past marigot. Then off up to Tintamarre.

Snorkelling is around 45mins on Tintamarre but you could always go and have a walk around the island instead if not keen on snorkelling. (Although I would highly recommend snorkelling at Tintamarre, not much fish and vegetation but the turtles surface almost right in front of you. We had two come up about 2 feet away when we were snorkelling. Right place right time! ->

) Tintamarre used to have an airfield, although long abandoned now so I think there are things to explore. Be careful of the vegetatation on Tintamarre tho because its highly toxic to the skin, they will warn you when you get there. (None of our trip went on the island, we all went snorkelling).

After that you go to pinel island (for about 30mins) which you can walk the short 15min trail around or just sit on the beach and see the iguanas. Then its lunch and genuinely the best fish (mahi mahi) I've ever tasted!

After that its a short 20-30min snorkel at Creole rock. Then motor back past maho beach (although you watch from the boat, not on the beach) where you'll see the jets taking off and landing. Really incredible, we saw an american airlines taking off, it generated a sandstorm-like effect and one person was pushed over by the force and barrelled down the beach!!!

You do need to be fairly fit and reasonably robust for the tour as others have said, you need to get out of the boat in shoulder height water and re-enter via the boat ladder for lunch. Loads of beer (Heineken and Coors light), soft drinks and water on board. 10/10 excursion. Couldn't recommend it more highly.