The other side of the Freedom/tobacco story

I want to take some flour and a straw on board my cruise. But gee, it might look like cocaine and something to snort it, so I'll hide it in a secret compartment that looks like I'm smuggling something illegal.

Talk about asking for trouble.........real smart:rolleyes:

Call me cynical but this story screams of someone trying to see what they can get away with. The thread where she originally complained had people on these boards writing Royal threatening to cancel their cruise and targeting a Port Canaveral employee for being aggressive and difficult. She played EVERYONE! While I would love to assume positive intent the facts are that she:

• lied
  • implicated innocent people trying to do their job (which by the way...is to protect all of us)
  • lied again

Companies big and small have the right to sever a relationship with customers considered to be "high risk". Given that none of us knows the actual intent of this man...if it was your company would you risk it????

Also, I never believed the story about the "$50 bonus" the employee would get for discovering an illegal item. That is the job of those people, they are expected to find illegal stuff, and actually not finding an illegal item would mean they aren't doing their job. I just don't believe they get $50 bonuses. She emphasized that point over and over. Truth is, her posts were inaccurate and she might get more sympathy if she had told the complete story from the beginning.

The stuff tested negative for THC. Ok, fine....

But we know there are a number of designer drugs that look like tobacco, smell like tobacco, and may very well be tobacco that has been treated with some non THC substance. Is there a test for K2?

Does anyone buy the Hookah claim? Not me. Whatever was in the bag, it was not just tobacco, and they were going to smoke it to get high.

Do I care? No, even if they were smoking grass it wouldn't have hurt anyone.

I want to take some flour and a straw on board my cruise. But gee, it might look like cocaine and something to snort it, so I'll hide it in a secret compartment that looks like I'm smuggling something illegal.

Talk about asking for trouble.........real smart:rolleyes:

I believe we have 100% concensus that what he did was beyond stupid.

One other point for the folks who insist on posting the absurd scenarios - what is in the best interest of the cruise line to kick people off willy nilly? What is more likely the question the Captain had to answer was it worth it to allow the couple to continue on their cruise?. To kick someone off before leaving port would not be a decision made lightly.

The Captain and other officers of the ship have probably seen this story more times than we can imagine and feel it is better to deny boarding to the couple than to deal with someone of questionable motives.

For those who like to post partial quotes - what the spokesperson for cruiseline wrote was: "The 'tobacco' was taken by law enforcement to be destroyed," Since she was not there all she can do is rely on a report from other staff. If the police decided to do another test - the one that showed it was not an illegal substance and then returned, that was after it was out of RCCL's control.

To sum it up - the Husband was stupid and showed an incredible lack of common sense if he was not trying to test the system. Sorry for him and we can hope the cruiseline will take pity on stupid and refund their cruise fare. However, if he was trying to test the system in order to score some product while on the crusie - shame on him and he got what he deserved.

Whatever was in the bag, it was not just tobacco, and they were going to smoke it to get high.

Absolutely.:confused: Truer words never posted.

And then they were going to take the can on an island, and smuggle drugs back on the ship.

And then, they were going to sell the drugs to children on the ship.

And then, after they got the children high they were going to ........

All facts ...... or ........ at the very least, "PROBABLE", and that is all god ..... er ..... The Captain needs to take the action he took.

Totally justifies the actions taken. Just hope it does not happen to you.

I believe we have 100% concensus that what he did was beyond stupid.

There goes any credibility you had.

You have posted enough, and been a member long enough to know that the only thing 100% would agree on is that on CC 100% would never agree on anything. :D

There goes any credibility you had.

You have posted enough, and been a member long enough to know that the only thing 100% would agree on is that on CC 100% would never agree on anything. :D

And there goes yours.

Anyone that knows me knows that I have never had credibility, nor have I ever wanted it.:eek:

Do you cruise in balcony cabins? I have smelled it on 2 of my 8 cruises :eek:

I've never smelled it, but I know others have. I guess I just don't understand him going to all that trouble to smoke it on his balcony.

I posted on the original thread that I was on the side of the OP, now after reading the news article where other details have emerged and the various people have made statements:

I am still on the side of the OP inspite of the stupid way that her husband packed the tobacco, neither the tobacco or the fake bottom can is an illegal item.

For those that keep saying it was a test run, I have one question prove it!

I have never arrested someone for something that they may do in the future without evidence, a false bottom can has many legal uses, so mere possesion of one is not probable cause to arrest, I am sure the Police Officers who were on location would have taken action if a law had been broken.

Is this a sign of the future? will the cruise lines begin to take action against those who knowingly and intentionally smuggle booze by use of "rum-runners"???

When I cruise/travel I comply with all of the rules of the cruise line, TSA and the airlines simply because I don't want to risk destroying our vacation, I would advise others to do the same.

If they are innocent, why hide it in the first place?

They probably didn't want to go through the hassle of the substance being taken away from them and tested. If the substance, even though legal was out in the open, it might have been confiscated for testing and then delivered back to them AFTER the cruise was over. It's not as if they could or would test it between boarding and when the ship left the port.

When I cruise/travel I comply with all of the rules of the cruise line, TSA and the airlines simply because I don't want to risk destroying our vacation, I would advise others to do the same.

And so do I.

However, one thing we have absolutely no control over is what god deems to be probable.

If for any reason he deems it probable that you will buy drugs on an island and bring them back to the ship, you could be history.

And there is the crux of the matter in my opinion.

And so do I.

However, one thing we have absolutely no control over is what god deems to be probable.

If for any reason he deems it probable that you will buy drugs on an island and bring them back to the ship, you could be history.

And there is the crux of the matter in my opinion.

Then do us all a favor and cancel your cruise on the Oasis and book with Carnival, Norwegian, Holland America or someone else. Why put yourself and US through all this torture when the big bad cruise line treats you so bad?:rolleyes:

Then do us all a favor and cancel your cruise on the Oasis and book with Carnival, Norwegian, Holland America or someone else. Why put yourself and US through all this torture when the big bad cruise line treats you so bad?:rolleyes:

Like :D

:) Like!

I've never smelled it, but I know others have. I guess I just don't understand him going to all that trouble to smoke it on his balcony.

I can see where you are going with it; however, on the same notion...why do people feel the need to smuggle clothes irons/steamers and alcohol on board? They just don't want to pay extra...he just didn't want to smoke something different for 7 days.

Wow, how fun to discuss this ad nauseam. Lots of arguments over this one :eek:

I still say - if you can't have fun on a cruise without needing something that you gotta HIDE to get it on the ship, then you have a problem. It's a VACATION, isn't it? Who needs expensive jewelry, special tobacco, hidden booze? IF you HAVE to have any of those things, then you just don't know how to relax.

I would NOT want to cruise with someone who felt they had to HIDE a substance to get it on the ship.

RCI owes them nothing. Kick them off the ship! Walk the plank! Go back home to smoke whatever it is that you need that desperately.

;)

It just amazes me that people really think so little of our personal freedoms that they side with RCCL on this one. These people did NOTHING illegal.

They packed a LEGAL substance in a LEGAL container.

IT WASNT POT. IT WAS A LEGAL SUBSTANCE.

I hope RCCL has to fork over a huge amount of money for this one.

This is just another example of how brainwashed people are these days...that we think it is okay to frisk young children with cerebral palsy...or senior citizens with Depends on....or deny boarding to an innocent couple who packed a legal substance in a legal container.

If you agree with RCCL that they should have been denied the cruise they had paid for, then I feel sorry for you. And so would the great men who founded our country and gave their lives to give us our freedom.

Earth to Jumbie ...... reality check.

If you find this to be torture, similar to beating your head on a wall, you can easily take measures to end the torture.

And where did I ever say the cruise line treated me badly. As a matter of fact, I have stated that I have been a loyal RCI cruiser, last three cruises were on Royal. And for the record, I found them fantastic.

However, I have difficulties patronizing organizations that are run by the equivalent of circus clowns and have consistently established a documented record of treating many of their customers poorly.

Do you cruise in balcony cabins? I have smelled it on 2 of my 8 cruises :eek:

I've seen passengers that make me think it should be:D:D:D

For the record, I don't smuggle anything on board. If it says not to bring it, I don't.

it... what a powerful word.

 [it] Show IPA pronoun, nominative it, possessive its or ( Obsolete or Dialect ) it, objective it; plural nominative they, possessive their or theirs, objective them; noun

pronoun 1. (used to represent an inanimate thing understood, previously mentioned, about to be mentioned, or present in the immediate

Even by definition, it can mean something that hasn't happened, but is about to. That is how RCI know they were high risk and they were up to no good. The Captain probably thought the OP's husband was going to bring back a jar of dirt to put the Captain's heart in it.

Maybe that is why RCI's website sucks. Any time someone asks for IT somebody runs down to the naughty room and brings back some stoned guy smoking a joint.

Maybe it was IT smoking IT:D

Archived