The other side of the Freedom/tobacco story

Sorry if it's been mentioned (I did not read all other 795438 posts), but I think RCI was just covering their you know whats with this one... If this had been a dry run and the couple was found smuggling actual illegal substances off the islands, and then it came out that this incident had occurred at boarding and RCI didn't do anything about it... I don't they'd be looking very good then either. Probably figured they would take less heat by just denying boarding.

It seems pretty simple to me. You don't need to hide stuff if there's not something dishonest going on... You don't need to lie on here and say it was just packed into his dive bag in a baggie for convenience when it actually was hidden in a fake spray can. Nothing they did passes the sniff test, so I can understand the Captain saying he wanted them off.... he knows they are playing games with him :(

Really, you don't think they have drugs in St. Thomas or St. Maarten?

I can tell you one thing for sure. In my limited cruising history, these two ports are the ONLY two ports I have been to where I was not pressured to buy dope. In no way am I saying drugs are not on those islands though.

As far as the "tobacco" being Spice as you have claimed, I dont buy that. You can rest assure if they LEO even thought for a second that it WAS Spice that the OP's husband would have been detained until they could have proven it wasnt. Spice is now VERY illegal in many states including FL and its worse to possess it than actually possessing marijuana.

Dangit! I said I was done with this thread! :o

YA know I was thinking along the same lines. I don't smoke, don't hog chairs, say, "Please and thank you", Won't smuggle even if I find the Rules inconvienant, and yet the line has to be drawn somewhere.

When mom was well and we traveled together, she got "Profiled" every single time. My cute little mom. While they were patting her down (again) there was a gentelman behind us in his dress which included a headress. He was let through without concern.

If you want to say that sometimes people don't use good judgement, why does that man push his limits here in the US, when Ann Curry goes to other contries that requrie women to wear headresses and she does.

Should we be smart and not give reason to be picked out? Yes! However, there is time that you push back and say, "No"

But probably not the best time when you have laid out several thousand dollars for a vacation and are in the process of trying to board a multi-million dollar cruise ship.;):D

And I do understand your example at the airport. Unfortunately, police, TSA, and many other types of workers are so nervous about being called up for racial profiling that I think, at times, the whole process just gets turned on its head.

As for your mention of Ann Curry, other countries, and rightly so, expect visitors to conform to their countries customs and ways. In the US we are expected to "be understanding and acccepting" of everyone elses culture and ways. It is the politics of our country at this point in time. Right or wrong, once again, it just is what it is.

And why is that every time someone disagrees with a RCI action they're told to go to another cruise line. I like Royal and will continue to cruise with them and other lines as I chose, but that doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes. We all do.

Funny isnt it?

I guess you have not read this entire thread or the previous one. Aquahound explained it well. Google it.

I have read the entire thread and I'm not a fan of the poster mentioned, so I wouldn't go back. My opinions stand until someone shows that I need correction. In which case I will.

I can tell you one thing for sure. In my limited cruising history, these two ports are the ONLY two ports I have been to where I was not pressured to buy dope. In no way am I saying drugs are not on those islands though.

As far as the "tobacco" being Spice as you have claimed, I dont buy that. You can rest assure if they LEO even thought for a second that it WAS Spice that the OP's husband would have been detained until they could have proven it wasnt. Spice is now VERY illegal in many states including FL and its worse to possess it than actually possessing marijuana.

Dangit! I said I was done with this thread! :o

Fine and that's your opinion. You don't think that couple were up to something but I do and so did the cruise line.

I meant to post on this comment earlier. I do believe that the truth lies somewhere in the middle but I do think that there was enough evidence for the Captain to make the decision to not allow this couple to reboard the ship. I also don't think we will ever know the full truth.

I agree with you 100%. I was just saying if RCI ends up being wrong I hope the OP is compensated. If the OP ends up being wrong there is nothing OP can do to compensate RCI. I honestly have no opinion on who is right or wrong until (if ever) I hear all the evidence.

That is an assumption. Even if the substance turned out to be completely legal none of us knows what the actual issue was that causes these people to be labled as "high risk" passengers. So how do you know that they did nothing wrong?

In all of the pages, in all of the threads, through all of the posts, looking even at the police report, I can't see one shred of evidence that the couple did anything wrong...not one.

So, you don't like what the couple smokes (when I saw "hooka", I thought it was some form of Marijuana, and the Capt was in the right....only to find out it's tobacco)? OK, nothing wrong there. You don't like the way the couple packs? OK...still not illegal. You say the couple sounds suspicious? I could say that about many, many people I've met on cruises.

RCCL should buck up, admit they were wrong, refund the couple all of their monetary outlay, and probably at least offer them a deeply discounted future cruise.

I have read the entire thread and I'm not a fan of the poster mentioned, so I wouldn't go back. My opinions stand until someone shows that I need correction. In which case I will.

Why because he is a man of the law with knowledge in this field? Guess maybe a few comments may have hit a little too close to home for some on this board??????

Really, you don't think they have drugs in St. Thomas or St. Maarten?

I think since we have read about drug issues on Bermuda cruises that St. Thomas and St. Maarten would most likely be in the running.;)

FALSE - states it was not marijauna :rolleyes:

Also says nothing about 3 tests :rolleyes:

Also does not state the disposition of the "substance" .. returned or destroyed.

I'm sure the police would have tested for something else if they believed there was something illegal in it, so you are sounding a bit desperate.

PC spokeswomen Rosalind Harvey said the items were returned to the passenger, so we don't need the police to confirm it, but the fact they WERE returns tells us the police were happy it was no kind of illegal substance. That's all we need to know.

I honestly have no opinion on who is right or wrong until (if ever) I hear all the evidence.

I doubt that ever happens. If RCI settles then the couple will not be allowed to talk about it. On the other hand if the couple was trying to hide something then they will just go away. I doubt we will ever know the whole story.

FALSE - states it was not marijauna :rolleyes:

Also says nothing about 3 tests :rolleyes:

But it does say the the products [plural] were tested. Doesn't say it was only one test. I have to say however, it does appear from the statements of the respective spokespersons they were aware of only one test. I wondered about that.

Also does not state the disposition of the "substance" .. returned or destroyed.

The port spokesperson said it was returned. The report does not contradict her. We really have no reason to doubt her.

Why because he is a man of the law with knowledge in this field? Guess maybe a few comments may have hit a little too close to home??????

Hmmm close to home how? I don't smoke anything, AT ALL! What do you mean, and be very careful.

Good edit! "To some on this board"

Hagar's husband was an idiot - I think most people can agree on that point. I can also see where the scenario might be innocent and not a dry run for drug smuggling.

The husband might not want to bring the whole tin since he doesn't smoke that much or maybe he buys the "king-sized" tin. (I cannot find any mention of the quantity of the substance found.) He puts what he thinks he will need during the cruise in a Ziplok. Then he wonders whether the Ziplok will get torn or come open during transport. He notices that his wife has packed the fake hairspray can to hide her jewelry in. Some people don't trust safes because that is the first place that a thief will look for valuables so they use fake books, cans, etc. for their valuables instead of the safe. Husband (not thinking) decides the hairspray can is the perfect size to protect his smoking substance. His wife has no clue what he has done. It's not his finest moment, but it doesn't mean he was deliberately trying to smuggle a questionable substance.

RC security can be overjealous occasionally. When I took my Alaska cruise, I brought a water bottle with me - aluminum liner with plastic on the outside for insulation. I filled it with water and took it off the ship for the day. There was a little water left in it when I tried to reboard the ship. Security confiscated my bottle. It was just water in it, but security said that it could be a colorless, tasteless, odorless alcoholic beverage in the bottle. I was able to get my water bottle back, but I was told not to carry it off the ship because the metal liner made it difficult to scan so it "could" be used to smuggle alcohol onboard. I wasn't using it to smuggle alcohol nor was I planning to use it to smuggle alcohol. It was the fact that I "could" use it to smuggle alcohol that was the issue. I wonder if that made me "high risk."

Personally I think RC should just refund their cruise fare. While the husband's actions were suspicious and stupid, it does not sound like the couple did anything proven to be illegal or expressly violated the cruise conduct policy.

In all of the pages, in all of the threads, through all of the posts, looking even at the police report, I can't see one shred of evidence that the couple did anything wrong...not one.

So, you don't like what the couple smokes (when I saw "hooka", I thought it was some form of Marijuana, and the Capt was in the right....only to find out it's tobacco)? OK, nothing wrong there. You don't like the way the couple packs? OK...still not illegal. You say the couple sounds suspicious? I could say that about many, many people I've met on cruises.

RCCL should buck up, admit they were wrong, refund the couple all of their monetary outlay, and probably at least offer them a deeply discounted future cruise.

My point was more to the lines of that we have no idea how these folks were acting or interacting with those around them. It was not about whether or not the substance was illegal or that I like their manner of packing. I wasn't there. You were not there. But somehow you know what the outcome should be.

Ok I'm addicted...what is Spice and was that a question?

You could use the search feature on CC or just Google it (K2 and/or Spice) but from the tone of you response, it sounds like you really don't want to learn anything that might change your opinion.:rolleyes:

I am with you all about this couple (or at least the husband) being stupid BUT the fine line will be RCCL denying passage on the grounds of violating the passenger.... (cannot remember the exact name for the policy) but you all know what I mean. However this is the problem: - the police tested the substance (3 times apparently) and it tested NEGATIVE!!! The lady said she has it in writing and can proove this statement.Therefore when you go into the nitty gritty it was NOT a violation of the quoted policy at all (it wasn't an illegal substance, they allowed it to be tested and offered to distroy it at the port) and therefore there was unfortunately no reason to deny passage accordingly - so RCCl will probably have to at least refund the trip.

I don't think we will hear from the couple again since it seems they have sort legal counsel in this matter so they will no longer be able to comment here in order not to jeperdize their case. I would think that once the legal department has seen all the "evidence" they will probably suggest the company pay up and add a "shut up about it" order to the check.

But it does say the the products [plural] were tested. Doesn't say it was only one test. I have to say however, it does appear from the statements of the respective spokespersons they were aware of only one test. I wondered about that.

The port spokesperson said it was returned. The report does not contradict her. We really have no reason to doubt her.

No reason:how about the fact that she lied in her OP and continued to lie.:rolleyes:

My point was more to the lines of that we have no idea how these folks were acting or interacting with those around them. It was not about whether or not the substance was illegal or that I like their manner of packing. I wasn't there. You were not there. But somehow you know what the outcome should be.

So Ocean Boy, since I live in the same state as you, (we must know the same peeps) why don't you come on our dec 13 from bayonne?

Archived