Another couple booted....

The only exception to the cabotage rule that I am aware of is when the ship is diverted due to weather or malfunction and is unable to "close the loop" to its origination port.

Totally agree with you on what the law says, but would point out that Celebrity Century sails out of San Diego to Hawaii with the only foreign port visited being Ensenada (for 5 hours), only 75 miles south of San Diego. So I'm not sure how "distant" is defined.

If that is what they do, I guess it works just fine. But I have heard other cruises that include a Mexico stop when going to Hawaii. For that matter, Alaska cruises that start or end in Vancover.

ANd remember, this law was enacted in 1886,

Exactly, I remember a guy in from of me in While we were for the tender, got busted. He had pot in an ice chest. I want to say this in Jamacia.

And that's why they have this sign as you enter the port in Falmouth, Jamaica.

normal_P1010176.JPG

if it were illegal I think the customs people would of detained them..but they just walked away after the couple was off the ship.....so i'm guessing they did something on board that RCL didn't like....but it was 5pm on the last day of the cruise...what could they of done that was that bad!?!?!

Enough that apparently the wife blamed the husband and not the cruise line. :eek:

If that is what they do, I guess it works just fine. But I have heard other cruises that include a Mexico stop when going to Hawaii. For that matter, Alaska cruises that start or end in Vancover.

Not all Alaska cruises start or end in Canada. Many start and end in Seattle but stop in one of the Canadian ports before returning.

My first cruise was in the early '90s on American Hawaii Cruise line. The 7-day cruise started and ended on Oahu, and visited no foreign ports, just several of the other Hawaiian islands (Kauai, Maui, & the Big Island). I was certainly not aware of this law at the time, and I'm not sure how they managed to do this without being penalized.

I don't think A Vancouver round trip is under U.S. Jurisdiction.

My first cruise was in the early '90s on American Hawaii Cruise line. The 7-day cruise started and ended on Oahu, and visited no foreign ports, just several of the other Hawaiian islands (Kauai, Maui, & the Big Island). I was certainly not aware of this law at the time, and I'm not sure how they managed to do this without being penalized.

American Hawaii used ships that were US flagged. Thus, they were exempt from such restrictions. NCL America does the same thing now. Of course ... they have their own special restrictions about the ship and staffing.

There was another post on this specific topic and I believe they explained the cruise line could do this as long as the ship was registered in the US.

Not me ... a family member. I'm the type that a) doesn't get slobbering drunk and b) is onboard 1-2 hours before all-aboard. :D

You're a smart man. You also don't have to stand in those long lines to get back on at the last minute.:)

This is all covered by the Jones Act. Here is a summary with portions emphasized by me in red.

The Jones Act prevents foreign-owned or -operated or -crewed vessels from transporting goods or passengers between two U.S. ports. For such purposes, the Act requires that the vessel must be:

• built in the U.S.
    • flagged as a U.S. vessel, and
    • owned and operated by U.S. citizen(s)
    • In addition, at least three-quarter of the crew must be U.S. citizens

By inserting a foreign port in the itinerary, the cruise lines can avoid violating the law. So the only question is "how distant" that foreign port has to be. The Century Hawaii cruise stops in Ensenado, MEX which is only 50 miles south of the border and about 75 miles from the port. That obviously meets the letter of the law.

Concerning the PVSA, yes, the cruise line will be fined $300 for every person they disembark in another U.S. port. The fines are then forwarded to the passengers, even if the cruise line kicked them off.

This is all covered by the Jones Act. Here is a summary with portions emphasized by me in red.

The Jones Act prevents foreign-owned or -operated or -crewed vessels from transporting goods or passengers between two U.S. ports. For such purposes, the Act requires that the vessel must be:

• built in the U.S.
    • flagged as a U.S. vessel, and
    • owned and operated by U.S. citizen(s)
    • In addition, at least three-quarter of the crew must be U.S. citizens

By inserting a foreign port in the itinerary, the cruise lines can avoid violating the law. So the only question is "how distant" that foreign port has to be. The Century Hawaii cruise stops in Ensenado, MEX which is only 50 miles south of the border and about 75 miles from the port. That obviously meets the letter of the law.

NCL found out the hard way. Did they not have 3 ships based in Hawaii, but now only have one. As I recall, and correct me if I am wrong, the biggest gripe from customers was the service from the American staff?

I just went back and reread the information on PVSA, and the Hawaii cruises from the mainland do not have to visit a distant foreign port, just a foreign port, just like Nassau or Ensenada

Not all Alaska cruises start or end in Canada. Many start and end in Seattle but stop in one of the Canadian ports before returning.

This is why Alaska cruises that start in Seattle are RT cruises. If you want either a NB or SB Alaska cruise, it will either start or end in Vancouver.

Gregg

Archived