sandals/flipflop advice please!!

So,

I have been on multiple cruises (now granted most were 10 years ago with my folks, and now my fiancee and I have started up again **wedding cruise in November!!**)

Anyway, I have constantly struggled with a pair of flipflops/sandals to wear on deck. I love, love, LOVE old navy 2.50 sandals, however, I almost fell so many times on the last cruise because they have no traction at all.

Which types do you all suggest? I have a pair of walking sandals as well, but sometimes I just like something I can slide on to go for a late walk with the (soon to be) hubby :)

I like my sandals to be versatile, (fancy enough to wear in public, cheap enough that if i wear them to the deck and they blow away, not the end of the world) etc.

Thanks!!;)

Just buy a new pair of cheapo flip-flops...and make sure they have rougher soles....better for traction and wet areas. They do NOT need to be "fancy" for public wear at all...as long as they are protecting your tootsies, you're good! I like the softness of a Teva sole...and when they're new, they have decent traction. Mine are totally worn out, so they never get worn on slick surfaces anymore!!!

I also have a couple of wedge-style sandals (thongs)...they are casual, yet not rubber...very comfy, and I could wear them with a bathing suit or shorts....versatile!

Just get thee shoe-shopping!!!

I wear a pair from Target I got last year for $10. They are leather on top with a little embroidered flower, and a rubbery molded bottom with traction, similar to a Teva or Merrill flip flop but much cheaper. Perfect with shorts or a bathing suit when running about on deck. I personally wouldn't wear them to dinner, but I wear them with cargo shorts or capris when not on vacation.

Some flip flops, especially the ones with a painted design on the sole, can be very slippery when your feet are wet. I bought some at Walgreens last year and almost killed myself on some stairs when my foot slid right off the shoe.

Personally, I don't think good sandals/flip flops are cheap. If they are cheap, they are made from cheap materials.

That's pretty much how I feel about everything.

I have a pair of Haviannas and a pair of Rainbow flip flops. I have never slipped or tripped in these. Neither of them were what I consider cheap, but I've had them for a couple summers now and they are still fine. Cheap flip flops don't last long at all.

So, where do you save money? Buying cheap over and over, or buying quality that outlasts cheap. My vote is quality. Cutesy-trendy doesn't appeal to me either, just like cheap it doesn't last.

Kohl's has really cute inexpensive flip flops. I bought a few pairs of Candie's there last summer and wore them a lot and they are still in great shape. They have sequin flowers and the bottom sole is probably a little over 1 1/2 inches thick so they are more flattering than the really flat flip flops. I loved them so much I just bought 3 more pairs to have for my Nov cruise. (They have black brown silver yellow coral) But the old ones are still in great shape so I am just keeping the new ones in the back of the closet for now. Kohl's also had really cute Vera Wang flip flops too. They have a sale practically once a week. You can usually get them for less than $11. I also got a pair of black airwalk flip flops at Payless they are very casual but not slippery and comfy. Sorry for long post but I love flip flops and live in them as soon as the weather is warm enough. Happy shopping!!

My vote is for rainbows, they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned, I usually buy a new pair every two years, & wear them about 365 days a year... however, one caveat is that for the first week or so, they hurt like h**l, while they conform to the sole your foot, after that, they are heaven:)

If you've messed your feet up by wearing "supportive" shoes, they might not be the best for you though.

Gordmans always has a cheap and wide selection with a variety of colors. I got a pair for less than $8. They have lasted a while now and were perfect for my cruise, the beach, work etc and go great with sundresses. Come to think of it, most if not all my sandals/flip flops have come from there

Flip flops them cheap ones are really bad for your feet. For me flip flops is walking across the nail salon. :D My personal style and feet prefer sandals. They make them in any color, style or heel length or price range. And if you like flip flop feel they call them thong style. If flip flops your thing fine but don't buy cheap ones get ones that are substantial to walk in. Payless has some nice inexpensive ones.

I love the Sanuk Yoga Mat Flip Flops. They are made out of yoga mat material...and are so comfortable with no break-in period. I wore them all over our cruise ship and didn't have any problems slipping. New ones are on eBay for a few dollars less with free shipping. You can read reviews here:

http://www.sanuk.com/womens-yoga-mat-flip-flops/SWS2908,default,pd.html?dwvar_SWS2908_color=AQU&start=16&cgid=womens-sandals

I only wear Reefs -- some are for longer walking and are more comfortable; others are cuter. They're about $25-$40 per pair but well worth it.

I second Reefs! I love my one and only pair. I also have a pair of Birks that I love but won't bring on the cruise - though they definitely have traction.

All flip flops are NOT created equal.

Invest the $20 or so in a pair of Havianas from Brazil..they are made soley of rubber..think tires for your feet...and not so easy to skid in..you can buy them now online or in better stores like Nordstroms. I have one pair that lasted me for 10 years and I wore them constantly here in Florida. Some of the havaianas are cute, but not big in the fashion sense if you want something dressy. I have several pairs and each as a flag on it from the country I visited and they have funky colors. The selection on line will probably be better than in the store.

So,

I have been on multiple cruises (now granted most were 10 years ago with my folks, and now my fiancee and I have started up again **wedding cruise in November!!**)

Anyway, I have constantly struggled with a pair of flipflops/sandals to wear on deck. I love, love, LOVE old navy 2.50 sandals, however, I almost fell so many times on the last cruise because they have no traction at all.

Which types do you all suggest? I have a pair of walking sandals as well, but sometimes I just like something I can slide on to go for a late walk with the (soon to be) hubby :)

I like my sandals to be versatile, (fancy enough to wear in public, cheap enough that if i wear them to the deck and they blow away, not the end of the world) etc.

Thanks!!;)

I had a pair of Havianas, they caused terrible hot spots on my feet. I would have been better off in cheap flip flops.

I like Clark's, rubber bottoms but leather insoles so no blisters, plus they have some arch support.

Try try try! Everyone has different feet, as any shoe thread here demonstrates. Just look at the construction & materials of the shoe before you buy it to see if it will meet your needs....

I rarely wear flip flops - just after pedicures. I do have some Tevas that are walking sandals (ankle straps, toe cover, etc) and they fit my feet nicely.

I do not own any Crocs. However, last week I tried on the "Vezzy" style and they were quite comfortable. So if I had a beach destination type trip coming up, I might be interested in buying them. But since I don't.....No flip flops for me at this time:rolleyes:

What are hot spots on feet?

I had a pair of Havianas, they caused terrible hot spots on my feet. I would have been better off in cheap flip flops.

I like Clark's, rubber bottoms but leather insoles so no blisters, plus they have some arch support.

What are hot spots on feet?

You get a red, hot spot on your foot--usually on the ball or sole. Not quite the same as a blister, there's no bubble. Applying moleskin can help, but that's only a temporary fix and if you don't eliminate the cause of hot spots (the shoes causing them) you'll end up with ulcers.

Wow never heard of that. Your the first that I've ever heard with that and Havianas..they are the number one selling flip flop in Brazil and has been for years and hardly anyone else buys any other brand there because of the quality of the shoe. It's hard to find any type of sandle that's pure rubber and it's extra good on a wet surface. Too bad.

You get a red, hot spot on your foot--usually on the ball or sole. Not quite the same as a blister, there's no bubble. Applying moleskin can help, but that's only a temporary fix and if you don't eliminate the cause of hot spots (the shoes causing them) you'll end up with ulcers.

I can not wear flip flops that have the plastic straps over the foot and between the toes. I also get hot spots with certain sandals. Everyone's feet and comfort level is different. Some need arch support, but if you are like me, the arch support always hits me in the wrong spot of my foot. ack! Go to the stores and spend an afternoon trying different flip flops on to make sure they will be kind to your feet.

I have pretty much awful feet and they have been that way pretty much always. I love pretty shoes and flip flops and whole bunches of flats (no heels pretty much for the last 40 years). I use the website FootSmart.com for finding shoes by the particular problems that I have. I am particularly happy with the thong sandle/flip flop made by Orthoheel that has a very deep heel cup and a great arch support and a foot surface that doesn't make your foot slip. They look stylish and have a cute leather flower. Many foot conditions and problems are now able to be helped by well designed shoes and they don't look like the orthopedic shoes I had to deal with in my youth. Take a look at that site and several others. I often shoe shop and then order on line to get the size and width that I need.

Archived