LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from Zuiderdam first week to Alaska

LAFFNVEGAS

Hi Lisa: Thoroughly enjoying your posts. We were only on from San Diego to Vancouver so through your posts we're getting to see what we're missing. Please tell Melodie and Ron we said hi. We didn't know their names but sat across from them at the champagne tasting. I recognized them from your photo. Looking forward to future posts and photos. Thanks.

Thanks for your informative and entertaining posts. I'm doing this Zuiderdam cruise the first week of July with my daughter and grandson (their first cruise) and it's nice to be able to give them a taste of what to expect. Good to hear you're not having toilet issues.

This is a curiosity of mine. Is there any correlation between temperature and calving with the glaciers?

Anyone else have any insight into this notion?

What is the chance of seeing an ice fall or calving?

Chunks of ice break from the glacier year around. Calving happens regardless of sun or rain, hot or cold, sometimes not at all in your one hour visit, sometimes multiple times in that hour, no one can predict this very dramatic event.

http://www.nps.gov/glba/faqs.htm

(Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve)

Wow, Lisa, so much ice and snow! We went in September, and it looked very different, hardly any floating ice, and less snow on the mountains.

Calving is amazing. We saw only a few small chunks fall, but even so, the sound of the ice breaking is like a rifle shot and then the sound echoes like thunder down the fjord. Fantastic!

I would suggest having fresh fish and shellfish sent home from the Pike Place Fish Market (the one where they throw the fish, a real attraction in the market) the day before you are leaving Seattle. Packed in dry ice, ships beautifully, and then you can freeze it at home and use at your convenience. Copper River salmon and for sure the Dungeness Crabs, specialties of the Pacific Northwest. Fabulous. We've done it many times and also you can order online anytime.

If it's packed in dry ice, it's frozen!:cool:

I find the packets in Trader Joe's and another really good local grocer and love to keep them on the shelf.

We're so lucky to have so many choices where to shop. We were thrilled when we finally got a few Whole Foods locations near us. I was jealous when we didn't have one. :o

I'm thinking of ordering from your friend, Mr. NW Guy. I'm always eager to try salmon from all sort of sources. Thanks for the recommendation.

We had a Whole Foods open a couple of months back - not near us -- 1 1/2 hour drive each directtion.

Also check out www.salmonetc.com

Greetings again from Ketchikan where Tom are enjoying lunch in town. We are docked much farther North than ever before or at least I think it is North :D

It is a typical cloudy day here. We are having lunch at Annebelle's Tom is having Pub Halibut and I am having Crab Mac and Cheese which is really good.

It looks to be really busy in town but when those ships heading back to Seattle it will thin out.

The pic below is the Westerdam.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1337287532983.jpg.1c028e70c9005410cd4eb336eb27ebad.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337287558134.jpg.34c5276d5c30c19178dba3e07624434e.jpg

Greetings again from Ketchikan where Tom are enjoying lunch in town. We are docked much farther North than ever before or at least I think it is North :D

It is a typical cloudy day here. We are having lunch at Annebelle's Tom is having Pub Halibut and I am having Crab Mac and Cheese which is really good.

It looks to be really busy in town but when those ships heading back to Seattle it will thin out.

The pic below is the Westerdam.

What was the price of the Pub Halibut? Were the fries fresh chipped or frozen?

Are you saying the fish from Trader Joe and Whole Foods is farm raised?

No. I'm saying the link provided by MR NW is to a site that has farm raised Atlantic Salmon products.

Trader Joe's salmon is not farm raised.

Flash freezing fish is better than fish that isn't cooked immediately after catching. I'd rather flash frozen than fish cooked two days after being caught.

Seas, that's farm raised Atlantic Salmon. You might want to think twice.

You're right. I would not opt for farm raised.

Thanks. :)

LISA.....

Wonderful photos.

Really enjoying seeing them.

Thanks so much.

What was the price of the Pub Halibut? Were the fries fresh chipped or frozen?

Tom's Pub Halibut was $17.99 it came with large very fresh tasting fish. The fries he thought were also fresh.

If it's packed in dry ice, it's frozen!:cool:

Yes of course. I meant you receive it frozen the day after it's caught and shipped and can put it right in your freezer at home and us it whenever you wish. You can't get Alaskan and Pacific NW fish and shellfish fresher or better than direct from these fish markets

The sun is out yet it is sprinkling. We are now back home in 7052 :)

I have some more pictures to share. The whole area where we are docked is relatively new. Along the board walk in the new area it is nicely decorated one thing that is really nice is all the stained glass. Each appears to tell a story.

uploadfromtaptalk1337291696382.jpg.57249f698fd2fbf56453b203f4e72229.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337291709413.jpg.89949d9a3f262ccaab425a4b29e43078.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337291725211.jpg.0d840fc33f640bc43f7e29f28f6b569d.jpg

Ok the pictures posted but not what I wrote. Sorry about that. In the new dock area is a nicely decorated Board walk area. Along the boardwalk are these beautiful stained glass pictures that look to tell a story.

Archived